Pissed off - job related

phelen

I applied for a job and had my first interview, the guy liked me and asked me to come back and join the team for a day in the studios which I did. Now after that day I was told I had to speak to the hiring manager who wanted to meet me a few weeks later, I agreed because it sounded 90% that I got the job so when I did meet him it was very nice and he had no problems with me, he then said I had to wait for the first guy who interviewed me to get back to me with details.

Now this was back in Dec, anyway fast forward to February and he tells me he doesn't want my services anymore. I'm kinda pissed since I travelled a fair distance and was under the impression he wanted to hire me. In the meantime I declined a job thinking I had this one in the bag

So should I fire back a reply asking why, and more importantly can I ask for some compensation in travel expenses?.

raw deal that you turned down a job in the meantime.

but there is no reason they should compensate you for your travel expenses. you are not on the payroll.

and just leave it alone. resist the urge to ask why, but instead you should thank them for the opportunity. you want to leave the door open.

Don't be too quick to think that have fucked you over - anything may have changed with their business structure etc that may have been out of their control.

You definately can't ask to be reimbursed. If you do speak to someone from there again perhaps you may ask general questions about the position to try and get a guage on what happened - dont ask what you did wrong or anything like that.

Tough luck man but good effort to get that far, you learn something from every interview.

Track both guys down and kill whatever pets they have. Dogs, cats, fish or whatever. Leave a copy of your resume attached with a nail to the corpses. That will teach them not to treat you so callously. Then disapear into the Himalayas for a good 4 or 5 years and return educated in the martial and spiritual arts. Start your own company based on these principles and dedicate your every waking moment to destroying the personal and professional lives of these two assholes who fucked you over like a bunch of douchebag nimrods. Then come back on here and let us know how it went down.

what was the job anyway (if you don't mind me asking). despite agreeing with everything posted above as professional courtesy on your part (you don't know the situation) i find it strange that any company would opperate this way? is this standard operating procedure for your field? (i.e. a soft trial day???) seems odd to me.

for instance, although i am probably (i'm guessing) more experienced in my field than you in yours, i would NEVER agree to work a trial day for someone. it smacks of the company being unsure of you in the first place, which is not a good situation.

I think it would be suitable to say how you feel in a good manner. asking for compensation might be too much, but I would definately explain that I'm very surprised and dissapointed by the outcome and that apparently I had been under a wrong impression of how the meeting went.

that plus thank them from the opportunity and wish all the best -> shows that you're not satisfied with the outcome but not bitter. it might also get you a reply telling what happened with the position.

Bullshit reply from them:

We interviewed someone else at the same time and she fitted the team better, this contradicts what he said to me saying I was the perfect candidate.

Fuckers.

dude. yes, what they did was shitty/borderline unprofessional. but they are not neccessarily completely wrong. you could be a perfect canidate AND she still fit the team better, don't just assume they are lying. use this as an experience and don't agree to this "trial day" bullshit again.

not to be an ass, but I hope this is not how you take rejection in your personal life...not mentally healthy. This is what breeds stalkers at worse and at best hinders you from moving on with any trial or tribulation in life. It was a job interview, unless they made and offer and rescinded it, you really didn't have a right to call them on it by demanding an explanation. Next time in that situation with the other job pending, you should have called them up and honestly told them, look I have this other job waiting on me, can you give me a quicker response?