Buttoned shirts

qwertyuiop5

Check Ralph Lauren stores as well as their website, as both often have great sales on dress shirts. If you want a nicer, fitted button-up, be sure to go with their "custom fit" as opposed to "classic fit."

My only other recommendation is to fly to Thailand and get a tailor to custom make you some. :D

Mine charges $20 a shirt for any material, including fine broadcloth, silk, etc.

if youre price range is a bit higher, miu miu has a very sharp looking white shirt. marc jacobs also has some nice ones. to be honest, most brands ave some sort of button ups so it really depends on what you're looking for. they all vary in fit, quality, material, color/look and so on.

I was reading Men's Vogue last week...the Lanvin Paris mega flagship sounds like it has the best custom shirt tailoring service in the world...based on their description of the fabrics and craftsmanship i got the impression it's the best button down shirt ever made. But at prices STARTING at $720 i can't even imagine how that shirt must feel like.

I was reading Men's Vogue last week...the Lanvin Paris mega flagship sounds like it has the best custom shirt tailoring service in the world...based on their description of the fabrics and craftsmanship i got the impression it's the best button down shirt ever made. But at prices STARTING at $720 i can't even imagine how that shirt must feel like.

Men's Vogue sucks. For half of that you can get a Borrelli, Brioni, or Charvet shirt that will easily be on par, if not better.

do those brands you mentioned offer bespoke shirting services? It's hard to imagine a fully bespoke shirt from a big name being in the $300-400 range. Especially since ready to wear shirts from the likes of Dior Homme, Yohji Yamamoto, etc. already cost more than that.

True, those prices are for their ready to wear lines, not bespoke. I guess it isn't really comparable. Either way, all three brands do offer bespoke, for as far as I know, cheaper than Lanvin (I believe Charvet bespoke is in the $500 range).

From what I have seen, Lanvin is horribly overpriced (although quality is good of course), and is not held in as high esteem (particularly in terms of price:quality ratio) as other shirtmakers, such as Charvet.

But anyhoot........

I'm on their nuts hard... but Flat Head. It has a very nice double weight cotton for the houndstooth button-up, but has a very nice stretch to it while maintaining very sturdy. The cut itself is slim and not too long, perfect slim cut shirt for comfort. I would reckon their western shirts are just as nice--although I do not know if it has the same thickness as the houndstooth.

True, those prices are for their ready to wear lines, not bespoke. I guess it isn't really comparable. Either way, all three brands do offer bespoke, for as far as I know, cheaper than Lanvin (I believe Charvet bespoke is in the $500 range).

From what I have seen, Lanvin is horribly overpriced (although quality is good of course), and is not held in as high esteem (particularly in terms of price:quality ratio) as other shirtmakers, such as Charvet.

But anyhoot........

yeah...i guess part of it is with me, i still canj't get away from my obsession with brand association. I have an idea that houses like Brioni, Charvet, etc. are all very formal and stiff in their construction, and a bit old looking...whereas Lanvin i get the sense i could get a shirt that is more easy and relaxed.

oh well but if it's bespoke it probably doesn't matter anyway since they can do whatever you want. But i still have the notion that each house has their distinct way of making the same piece, and a lot of the way i get that is from the ready to wear stuff they produce.

yeah...i guess part of it is with me, i still canj't get away from my obsession with brand association. I have an idea that houses like Brioni, Charvet, etc. are all very formal and stiff in their construction, and a bit old looking...whereas Lanvin i get the sense i could get a shirt that is more easy and relaxed.

oh well but if it's bespoke it probably doesn't matter anyway since they can do whatever you want. But i still have the notion that each house has their distinct way of making the same piece, and a lot of the way i get that is from the ready to wear stuff they produce.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from.

It seems, however, that you may be mixing up impressions drawn from "old world" brands such as those present on Savile Row (Turnbull & Asser, Gieves & Hawkes, etc.). Most of the Italian companies (Brioni, Barba, Borrelli) generally make shirts in a slimmer, more contemporary silhouette with spread collars, etc. My three RTW Borrelli shirts are the best fitting/most fashionable shirts I own, and that even includes my made-to-measure shirts from Thai tailors.

Oliver Spencer is fantastic for classics with a modern feel.

I am wearing one today. AU$400 from memory but I am sure they are cheaper in other countries.

Sleeve length isn't very generous but i usually push mine up anyway.

Agreed. I've been happy with the couple OS shirts and other items I've picked up. Good quality and reasonably priced.