any fighters on here?

mizanation

i'm hugely interested in de la hoya vs. mayweather.

i think de la hoya is greatly underestimated. i learned that the last time i bet against him vs. vargas and mayorga. mayweather is awesome, but i was expecting him to dominate zab judah which didn't happen. my pick this time? de la hoya.

See, Oscar De La Hoya is way past his prime.....Mayorga isn't that great of a fighter, after Oscar pummeled him, still critics were saying that Oscar didn't prove anything, why? because he fought Ricardo Mayorga and just the overall poise and dominance that Mayweather has is ridiculous. He destroyed Zab Judah and then Baldomir, Mayweather isn't a KO artist but he's just a boxing beast. He reminds me of a better Kostya Tsyzu.

This fight shouldn't be close, Mayweather Sr. is backing Jr in the corner, and the change of personal on De La Hoya's side will make an impact, though either way without the trainer change, Oscar is still going to get killed.

i am not sure if de la hoya is "way" past his prime. he's still only 33. i think he's still close to his physical prime. also, de la hoya's style was never based on physical attributes like, for instance, roy jones jr. so, i think he is still dangerous. he showed good power in the fight with mayorga, someone who is known for having a great chin.

he didn't prove anything by beating mayorga, but mayorga probably has more punching power than mayweather.

also, mayweather is much smaller than de la hoya. he's around 5' 8" and oscar is 5' 11". mayweather is moving up to junior middleweight, while oscar is already comfortable at this weight.

mayweather doesn't remind me of kostya tsyzu. mayweather has more movement, less power, more speed.

i think oscar will suprise everyone. he's a very smart fighter and will use his size and experience to pick pretty boy floyd apart. i'm predicting late round knockout by oscar.

i have been in tae kwon do for about 8 years, been taking a slight break though been soo busy.. i gotta get back into it.

This is super late but Sufu was down, Randy Couture beating Tim Sylvia. Absolutely amazing. Shit. I'm still marveled. Hopefully, after Pride closes down, the fighters run to UFC.

Randy the Natural Couture is an animal. He's pushing like 43 and still kicking ass and taking names. I can't wait to download this fight.

Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin also won their fights, I hear.

Yeah a bunch of times, he's absolutely ridiculously good. The amount of pressure he can generate from any top position makes it impossible to do anything! I watched him roll against 6 whitebelts at the same time once, tapped them all one by one, then he rolled against 3 bluebelts and did the same.

i completely believe it, that guy is truly a monster. you are very, very lucky to train with one of the best submission fighters in history.

btw, i personally think he beat jacare at the 2004 worlds. breaking your opponent's arm means you win in my book.

what do you think about marcelo's life goal to beat roger in competition? an out of shape ricco is one thing, but roger's a whole nother animal.

do you compete? what weight division?

I don't train with Roger now because I moved from London to Brighton for university but it was a great place to train! With Jacare, I thought he should have won too, the rules say the ref can stop the fight if he believes any fighter is in danger and also Jacare was about to get disqualified for running away when time ran out.

Marcelo, man, he's so damn good. another couple of inches of height and 20 lbs (assuming he'd still be as fast) and I think no one could touch him. Without it though I doubt he can beat Roger, he's still young and his fitness levels are also ridiculous.

I competed at SENI as a whitebelt just before I got my bluebelt, had one match and lost it on points. The guy tapped then denied it so it's a bit of a sore point lol.

How about you?

hey man, i train in nyc at ronin athletics:

http://www.roninathletics.com

if you're ever in new york, stop by and train (when you're not at renzo's ;) )

i've competed a few times in no-gi (blue belt level). i've won about half, lost about half of my matches. i don't take it seriously enough to be a top competitor. i mostly enjoy helping the guys at the gym who take this very seriously.

i agree about marcelo (who also teaches in NYC now). however, before he gets to roger, he has jacare, ribeiro, arona, dean, pe de pano, and a couple other people to get through. if you remember, jacare absolutely destroyed marcelo when they fought in the absoutes. still props to marcelo, he's a threat to anyone in the world and he's a small dude.

I can barely find enough time to train as it is, I think going to NY i'd find zero time to train! Competing is fine but personally I leave it to the people who have jobs that allow them to turn up all beaten or injured. I broke my arm in class before and if it happened now I'd be in serious trouble as I'm at college studying illustration.

yeah, it's easy enough to sprain your fingers, grabbing the gi. you can also break a wrist trying to defend an aggressive guard pass. and of course, broken arms and shoulders. i still love it though. gotten my share of black eyes, bruises, cuts--people used to joke at work, but they're kinda used to it now... :)

injuries for me are never from actual techniques. it's always from accidents and from over-training. also, as i get older, i'm noticing that recovery from a hard workout is taking a lot longer.... :(

I had my ulna snapped in 2 by an americana from side control, other than that i've been lucky as far as arm injuries. Had my share of sprained ankles, broken toes etc and like you say, black eyes and a shit load of gi/mat burn! Right now i'm lucky to only have a little gi burn under one eye and a brusied cheek. Both from last nights BJJ.

Yeah, about the same as me. One of my ears is noticably bigger than the other if you peer very closely and compare them but unless I pointed it out to you you'd never see. I asked before how to stop getting them and was told "don't let people grab your head".

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...