any fighters on here?

mizanation

You asked me a couple weeks ago or a month ago, if my name stood for Brazilian Top Team.

No, but the only great fighters on that team (IMO) are the Nogueira brothers and Ricardo Arona.

interesting that you actually know your MMA, BTT.

IMO, bustamante and mario sperry were also very good back in the day. and, i think ricardo arona is overrated.

Arona is slightly overrated, but the BTT team isn't as prominent as they was before, so saying he is one of their premier fighters isn't saying much. But Arona's losses weren't to no names but losses to Quinton, Wanderlei, Fedor, and Shogun. Other than that, he completly destroyed Overeem.

BTT, again i agree with you. PURE kung-fu or karate was a very real system of fighting. if you ever watch clips of chinese wrestling, it's like watching modern greco-roman wrestling. all the same techniques, all the same movement. what works, works--regardless of culture. same goes for indian pelwhani and even kabaddi.

but, what happens is when you add rules, rituals and bullshit, you get what modern kung-fu and karate is now. you have 10 year olds running around with black belts and bullshit like that. you have out of shape fakes creating a lie about being deadly when any streetfighter can take them out.

cung le is the man. sanshou is an art that stayed true to realistic training and competition. that's why it emphasizes realistic conditioning and techniques.

mma is now the most effective hand-to-hand martial art right now because it has the least amount of rules with the least amount of protection. what cung-le does now is mma. just like what fedor does now is not "combat sambo" but mma. same for nogueira and bjj, same for vanderlei and muay thai, same for sakuraba and catch wrestling.

Hi, my first post here i think.

I've been practising BJJ in the UK for a couple of years now. Funny enough I train with BTT uk.

I was lucky enough to train with Bustamante a couple of months ago. Never got to spar him though there was about 60 people attending.

Been looking at some rubber guard recently.

Where do you train miz?

:)

I didn't watch pride33 on saturday, but holy shit, I'm going to have to DL this later. Nick Diaz, a fighter who I believed was a highely overrated fighter before his loss to Diego Sanchez and was a peice of shit figter defeating Gomi? W T F. This is further justifing the dominance UFC has over Pride. Another big upset, Dan Henderson over Wanderlei Silva. It was a bad matchup for Silva but I still thought the man would pull thruogh and kill Henderson.

and last but not least, couple days ago I was talking about nogueira was a great fighter, he got defeated also. wowszie. Frank Trigg for the comeback.

you know what btt? ufc fighters generally get slaughtered when they go over to pride--think baroni, chuck liddel, etc...

also, sometimes second tier pride fighters destroy everyone in the ufc, like anderson silva.

however, the fact of the matter is, it's hard to defeat people on their home turf. these pride fighters are used to fighting in japan. the U.S. is a whole nother story--different crowd, different accomodations, different attitude, different energy.

I think UFC definitely has the upperhand until you get to light heavyweight. I just cant wait for Zuffa to buy Pride so we can get some unification bouts. Hopefully it happens in Japan too, with knees and stomps or else the Pride fighters wont know what the fuck.

when i go to the tournaments, it's crazy. you have 11 year old kids with serious fuckin' skills. all they do is travel the country fighting and wrestling. by the time they are 12, they have years of boxing, wrestling, sub-wrestling and sometimes mma experience. competition experience. it's nuts. these parents are nuts too, man. they are fuckin' insane.

you know what btt? ufc fighters generally get slaughtered when they go over to pride--think baroni, chuck liddel, etc...

also, sometimes second tier pride fighters destroy everyone in the ufc, like anderson silva.

however, the fact of the matter is, it's hard to defeat people on their home turf. these pride fighters are used to fighting in japan. the U.S. is a whole nother story--different crowd, different accomodations, different attitude, different energy.

I actually thought phil baroni revitalized his career going to Pride, he lost couple times but for a period time on UFC, he got absolutely slaughtered and Chuck Lidell fought Rampage Jackson, which is a tier one fighter and would be a great rematch. The reason I say that UFC is greater than Pride is because I always see fighters revitalizing their careers at pride when they have a bad stint in America.

and it should be illegal to let kids mma at age 11. absolutely illegal. no doubt in my mind.

i've seen limited rules mma matches online between 10 year olds (no striking to the head, no leg locks)

it's gonna be interesting to see the level of mma that will be out there in the next 5 to 10 years. i hope maybe by that time, it could become an olympic sport.

ufc is a sport. pride is a spectacle. because pride pays so well, you end up having some of the best fighters, but since it is basically a extension of pro-wrestling, you have people who don't deserve to be there.

ufc, being heavily regulated and increasingly more generous with prize money, will eventually have the better fighters. in some weight classes, they do.

pride is on the way out. their money troubles are very serious. i am going to miss the pageantry, the RIDICULOUS matchups, and the beautifully orchestrated hype.

i've seen limited rules mma matches online between 10 year olds (no striking to the head, no leg locks)

it's gonna be interesting to see the level of mma that will be out there in the next 5 to 10 years. i hope maybe by that time, it could become an olympic sport.

ufc is a sport. pride is a spectacle. because pride pays so well, you end up having some of the best fighters, but since it is basically a extension of pro-wrestling, you have people who don't deserve to be there.

ufc, being heavily regulated and increasingly more generous with prize money, will eventually have the better fighters. in some weight classes, they do.

pride is on the way out. their money troubles are very serious. i am going to miss the pageantry, the RIDICULOUS matchups, and the beautifully orchestrated hype.

See the thing about MMA is that, if they don't allow you to strike the head then it's pointless. So even though it's against my ethics, I would much want to see a 11 year old kid dropkick another kid in the head, and the MMA moms start loco'n out and bitch fighting outside.

and yeah when Pride does go away, that will be sad. I just think the fighters are more interesting than UFC fighters, because when I think of asian fighters, I think of some kung fu shit and some japanese guy doing a mr miyagi on a white dude. never ceases to amaze me about asian fighters. UFC lacks asian fighters.

Guest Airjamie

Its really hard to fuck around with anything from muai thai when you're shitfaced, which is when most fights seem to occur with me. Thats why i always love to keep a newcastle tallboy handy, the beer is great and the bottle is just seems to handle better than most of the other beer bottles ive tried. Forget breaking it too, just hold it like youre drinking it and slam the bottom into the guys face, usually breaks the nose and the fight is over. I am sensei.

I've dabbled.

Took arnis back in the Phils. when I was a wee one. Took a couple month's muay thai here in NY, and some kali for a few more months.

So… I know enough to get me hurt.

See the thing about MMA is that, if they don't allow you to strike the head then it's pointless. So even though it's against my ethics, I would much want to see a 11 year old kid dropkick another kid in the head, and the MMA moms start loco'n out and bitch fighting outside.

and yeah when Pride does go away, that will be sad. I just think the fighters are more interesting than UFC fighters, because when I think of asian fighters, I think of some kung fu shit and some japanese guy doing a mr miyagi on a white dude. never ceases to amaze me about asian fighters. UFC lacks asian fighters.

you are absolutely right. mma without strikes to the head is completely useless. they have "amateur" mma in new jersey now. no strikes to the head when you are on the ground, no knees to the head when you are standing. i was going to enter, but my coach told me that it's a waste of time and to do a real pro mma fight from the start.

UFC is definitely biased against asian fighters. they think if they have one, then it's enough. that's why genki sudo was their token asian fighter--they didn't get any more because they figured the audience wouldn't know the difference.

but remember, sakuraba was the last of the old-school UFC tournament winners.

If thats the case you always have Professional Wrestling.

Pride will never go away its a sure fire money maker. Zuffa is seemingly the most probable buyer and Dana said he is going to keep it the way it is for the most part. He wont be stealing fighters, it'll be a seperate federation. Id imagine he wants it to be something like professional boxing.

Just found this: http://www.nbcsports.com/ufc/1122785/detail.html

Yeah...UFC on NBC.

"What's happening now, is that with us going international now, and going after that talent, Tim [sylvia] is finally in a position where a lot of those questions are going to be answered," White said. "A lot of people think that the mystique over in Japan, they're bigger, better, making more money. All of it's bull----. It's all a big myth and now we're in a place where we can prove it. Look at Nick Diaz… Diaz was cut by us because he lost so many times and he just beat Gomi who everyone thought was unstoppable and the best guy in that weight division. Not only did Nick Diaz beat him, but BJ Penn destroyed him."

pride 33 was probably the best thing that ever happened for the UFC.

i always thought gomi was a little overrated, also silva. reason being that everyone tries to fight them at what they're best at---brawling. in japan, people try to win in the most entertaining way. in the u.s., people just try to win, period.

i think UFC shouldn't cut the fighters that don't win. nick diaz always puts on great fights. that would make him a legend in japan, regardless whether he wins or not. the UFC needs to keep the guys like nick diaz.

man, nick diaz looked really powerful at 160 pounds. that's where he should stay, he shouldn't mess with guys who are dropping down to 170.