any fighters on here?

mizanation

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just managed to find this thread again.

Got my brown belt in BJJ on Monday, would really have liked another year at purple until I was comfortable though, but I couldn't exactly turn it down. There are now about 12-15 brown belts at our school. It's going to be crazy in 3 years or so.

• 2 weeks later...

id like to preface this by stating that ive never taken krav maga, but its my opinion based on what ive seen/heard/read.

i think krav maga is more of self defense tactics rather than "martial arts". i guess its good to practice these things, but i would imagine if you are in a life threatening situation, go for the groin, eyes, fingers, mouth, head butt, etc, and thats what they teach you (?)

since there is no sport associated with it, i dont think you can really test what you know against other krav maga fighters. i know for BJJ i enjoy testing myself against other people who know what theyre doing. if you get cauliflower ear, thats probably gonna be forever.

my friend is trying to convince me to take krav maga lessons with me. i've never done martial arts in my life, but i see the value in knowing how to defend yourself. how is krav maga? i don't mind getting thrown around or punched as long as the damage isn't forever.

Self-defence classes are awkward as fuck and can get really uselessly rough. Most people that participate have no prior training and use way too much force than is required.

The only krav-maga classes I've done were the knife fighting and firearm disarming one.

Krav-maga is a self-defence class on crack as long as you have a legit teacher.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I need some input, please. So I'm looking to do a martial art when I get home from college and was looking at muay thai or bjj. I wrestled in high school for a little bit and the competetive aspect of bjj, as in competions and such, is appealing. Im not sure how it is in muay thai, but Im also very interested in doing that as well because of the striking aspect and the conditiong seems different from bjj. Im not completely sure about the opinions im giving so itd be cool if some of you guys could shed some light. And would doing both at the same time be good, too? I also need time for shit like lifting and swimming. Thanks

and any opinions in places to train in the socal area as in the 562? I was thinking Brazilian Top Team or OC Muay Thai?

Edited by tu_madre51

I prefer muay-thai personally and the striking/conditioning is completely different.

If you're looking to do competition, be ready for helllla bruised thighs and maybe a broken nose ;)

You could do both at the same time because they tend to work different muscle groups and work your cardio differently. However, with everything you're planning on doing, your body might end up shutting down if you life, swim AND add one or even two martial arts!

When I come to think about it, Muay-thai might be a bit too much with lifting and swimming..

Quite a few schools offer classes in both, i'd say if you have the time to train both go fo it!

I finally got myself back to the bjj school and have (very lightly) started training again. Feels great to get back on the mats. Really need to get my wind back up, did some rolling at the end of my last class and submitted the guy in about 2 minutes, but i was completely wiped out afterwards. :mellow:

Well, I think I could fit one in for sure. I was just thinking maybe taking one for now would better to get better in one than not as good in both at the same time. I would probably cut down the lifting and swimming to not as much. BJJ compared to muay thai as in the workout/conditioning does not look as hard to me.

As of right now, I lift like 6x a week and swim 3 or 4x and week and I wouldn't mind cutting down.

Anyone have recommendations in BJJ or muay thai schools? There's a gracie by my house that renato sobral owns or BTT in Long Beach has a good reputation. For Muay Thai, I was thinking OC Muay Thai. There's always bodyshop fitness owned by antonio mkcee but I would rather not go there.

Edited by tu_madre51

BJJ warmups/conditioning is not what is hard. Rolling competitively is hard. We have a guy who does 5 or so marathons a year, and he's still gasping for air at the end of a hard session. I'm sure Muay Thai is also a hard class, I don't think you should pick one based on how fit it will make you - pick one based on which you think you'll enjoy most.

Not sure about BJJ schools, but California is probably the best place outside of Rio to train.

• 2 weeks later...

I always laugh when Americans complain about a 30 minutes drive to bjj. I used to travel over an hour for mine, and people in the UK often travel further.

Poor college student and there are bbj places nearer :/ and 4 runner plus gas equals anal rape

Edited by tu_madre51

There are lots of opinions on Rorian and his sons, his sons especially seem like great instructors, but there have always been accusations about that side of the family holding back techniques/promotions from non Brazilians/non Gracie family.

I honestly don't know if it's true, but one thing that has always been accepted as true by nearly everyone, is that they really want to teach "self defence" style BJJ there. The Gracie Garage stuff they did recently is also a joke/con, as well as the video grading they do along with it.

Personally, I'd like to drop in to visit as it's definitely a place of BJJ history, but I would train at a school that doesn't have all the potential politics of Gracie Torrance.