any fighters on here?

mizanation

DJ_Flame

how'd your first lesson go..

IMO your first lesson shouldn't be too hard and if you have to be worrying about headkicks then you should go to a different gym..

trying to find this video of this gym in america where the trainer was pretty much whailin on his students with the thai pads (hitting them in the face with it kicking them hard etc.)

the gym I train at does lots of pad work and partner drills with 15 minutes of sparring at the end of the lesson (for the beginner class).. even then it's not hard sparring and more so to let the students put together what they've learned in the lesson and get used to it..

something my trainers always say is that you can't win a spar.. so just work at your own pace with your partner really otherwise you can't learn to put your moves together when you've got a guy trying to take your head off.. you gotta get confident with it..

DJ_Flame

how'd your first lesson go..

IMO your first lesson shouldn't be too hard and if you have to be worrying about headkicks then you should go to a different gym..

trying to find this video of this gym in america where the trainer was pretty much whailin on his students with the thai pads (hitting them in the face with it kicking them hard etc.)

the gym I train at does lots of pad work and partner drills with 15 minutes of sparring at the end of the lesson (for the beginner class).. even then it's not hard sparring and more so to let the students put together what they've learned in the lesson and get used to it..

something my trainers always say is that you can't win a spar.. so just work at your own pace with your partner really otherwise you can't learn to put your moves together when you've got a guy trying to take your head off.. you gotta get confident with it..

• 3 weeks later...

I just tell them it's from BJJ. If they ask for more I explain what it is but 90% of the time they don't ask anything else for fear that I'm some MA nerd and of being dragged into a long discussion...

Tough Judo session tonight, the instructor is also either a brown or black belt at the Carlsons gym in London so it was non stop.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first cut right between the left eye and eye brow. I had a butter fly band aid on it for 2 days straight. The people that I'm close to knew right away that it was from sparring, so they just asked what I got hit with (a right hook that graced the bones near my left eye). I gotta say though, a lot of girls seems really interested in how I got it when I was out at bars during the weekend. I don't seem like the type that would like fighting, so when I told them that it's from sparring, they seem to like it.

I got my first cut right between the left eye and eye brow. I had a butter fly band aid on it for 2 days straight. The people that I'm close to knew right away that it was from sparring, so they just asked what I got hit with (a right hook that graced the bones near my left eye). I gotta say though, a lot of girls seems really interested in how I got it when I was out at bars during the weekend. I don't seem like the type that would like fighting, so when I told them that it's from sparring, they seem to like it.

I entered a contest recently to design a "crazy gi", I found out today that one of the 2 designs I entered has been shortlisted for the final - the winner gets their gi custom made.

I'll be enlisting everyones help to vote for it on facebook, I THINK it's this one that is shortlisted...

24606f5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Closest i've come to training in a year or so: mma/streetfighting w/ my boss. Pulled guard (HA!), swept and mounted him twice, subbed w/ a head & arm choke. FYI, i do not recommend grappling on concrete floors w/ a dude who streetfights, it gets hurty.

I wrestled in high school for 3 years and 1 year or community college.

Jiu-jitsu for ~6 months, barely a blue.

Muay Thai for a couple months, still pretty new.

Training at Babalu's in Cerritos.

How is it there(just the training and price in general, pm me if you want)? I live down the street, but I'm not sure if it's gonna fit in my schedule atm. Thanks in advance

and where do you go for muay thai?

blue belt after 6 months is pretty fast.

babalu heads the gracie barra over there or something?

Not really for a collegiate wrestler.

@natse did you win the comp? You won my heart.

Not really for a collegiate wrestler.

This is really my only explanation. I agree it's quick, but I had a decent bottom game and solid top submission game before I started formal training (not just laying on top like a wrestler).

I honestly wouldn't mind still being a white belt, because I never feel like I'm "good" enough to be blue, but my instructor awarded it to me, so who was I to decline. Now I'm more vocal and hesitant about promotions so that I wont become a "watered-down" blue belt in the future.

Oh, and Babalu doesn't teach, aside from rare instances where he'll jump in. It's taught by Professor Dande, if you know who that is. At first I was disappointed, but I realized at my level, any good black belt will be more than sufficient for me.