any fighters on here?

mizanation

Competing again for the fist time in many months next weekend. I've been nursing an injury for awhile, so i'm only doing the 30+ divisions. Looking forward to getting back out there.

what tournament?

anyone doing pan-ams? its at the end of march.

There was a tourny in Bristol (UK) this weekend that I didn't attend, apart from not really wanting to compete anyway, I'm glad I didn't. They didn't start til 3pm!

there was a tournament (copa pacifica-- so. california) that was way off schedule. i thought i was going to fight around 1. i didnt fight until closer to 3 or 4 and had close to an hour between my matches.

what tournament?

anyone doing pan-ams? its at the end of march.

US Grappling's Dominion Grappling Championships 3.

Great circuit run by my instructor Andrew Smith. Pretty much been East Coast only, but he's got many things in the works for the upcoming year.

It's crazy b/c i think there's 2 more tournaments the same day, Mission Submisson in Maryland, and one more somewhere in the area.

We've got quite a few Revolution people heading out to the Pan-Ams, sadly i'm not really ready physically for that level of competition. Hence me fighting other old farts here in town. :D

need the opinion of a judokan:

im thinking of supplementing my bjj with some judo. do you think itd be necessary to enroll in a judo school? or should i just try to practice at my bjj school and learn some other way (via people that know a bit of judo, books, etc) is it bad etiquette to wear a bjj gi to judo classes?

no really

i haven't gotten into a physical altercation in a while, since high school

that was like a decade ago

i feel like with enough years of pent up aggravation while the beast inside has remained dormant, one of these days if the right button is pushed, somebody gonna get rolled into ICU

need the opinion of a judokan:

im thinking of supplementing my bjj with some judo. do you think itd be necessary to enroll in a judo school? or should i just try to practice at my bjj school and learn some other way (via people that know a bit of judo, books, etc) is it bad etiquette to wear a bjj gi to judo classes?

Just a bjj guy's opinion, but i think you'd be best served learning from someone w/ significant judo experience. There's a lot of intricacies to the art.

Yes, go to Judo. I went a few times (gave up cos it didn't fit my schedule) and it's definitely beneficial, just don't pick up too many bad habits and hope you find a class that doesn't look down on BJJ. I know many Judo schools don't care for ground fighting.

ill most likely end up enrolling in judo. ive noticed that at my level, (white belt) most of my comp fights pretty much are by determined who wins the stand up.

at any rate, pan am registration deadline is coming. should i compete in the tournament again? i competed last year (placed second), and unfortunately (fortunately?) this year, im still a white belt.

my weight class is very small so id imagine ill be fighting the same people that i did in last week's tournament..

^^ i feel like krav maga is too combat orientated. there's no form of krav maga competition right? so the only time you can truly test yourskill level is in a street fight or attack? against someone who likely doesnt train in the same "sport"? i dunno. just seems too weird.

but this is just what ive gathered from watching human weapon/fight quest of course. i have no experience in krav maga.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat of a thread derail, but there was a special on the Discovery Channel not too long ago about military special forces guys, it was pretty mind blowing. There was an Israeli commando who was able to disarm a guy in a fraction of a second. They had him running on a treadmill in a heat suit under 200 degree lights, and he was able to reassemble a handgun and kill an attacker in less time than when he was fresh. They did the same thing w/ a Navy Seal after he was submerged for an hour in sub zero water.

Doesn't necessarily speak to the efficacy of KM classes, more to the ability of well trained & dedicated soldiers.

Bjj for the last three years, on and off due to school and work obligations. I'm signed up for a muay thai class next month, and I did some boxing training since January.

I"m excited. :)

Bjj for the last three years, on and off due to school and work obligations. I'm signed up for a muay thai class next month, and I did some boxing training since January.

I"m excited. :)

Just started bjj in tandem with krav maga. best decision of the year thus far. what do know about muay thai? i hear so much hype around the system...

whoooo holy fuck krav maga is intense. my instructor basically wailed on me the whole time but seriously in 1 hour i learned a ton. best workout i've had in years.

i learned basic striking (fist, palm, elbow, knee), vital hit points, basic blocking, how to stance when confronted, and my instructor ended the lesson by making me do suicides for a minute, followed by running between four punching bags and hitting each one a different way, followed by sitting on a mat and just pounding the shit out of it as hard as i could. i was so winded at the end. but it's amazing, honestly from one lesson i feel like i would have so much more control if a fight took place. my instructor also told me a bunch of stories, he trains IDF soldiers and special security units and told me about one of his students who was attacked from behind by someone with a knife- dude was able to disarm the guy from behind, and then twisted the attacker's face straight into his eye. boom, concussion, in like 2 seconds. fucking great. i have another lesson on thursday and damn i'm excited.