Amsterdam questions

rusnon

Tisswat: Wow, great post man! What do you do for a living?!?

I'm an indigenous hunter.

iban4.jpg

hey Tisswat, im leaving tomorrow (friday) for amsterdam, can you please tell me if you know, what kind of places are going to be closed on easter sunday? coffeeshops?museums? heineken factory? patta? etc.

The more touristy stuff (like Heineken, the major museums and the major stores) will probably all be open. My best advice would be to plan what you want to do in advance and try find out beforehand what will be open. I'm pretty sure that most museums and shops will probably post this info on their sites. If not, just write them an email asking them for the opening hours this weekend. For example, check www.heinekenexperience.com, www.patta.nl, www.vangoghmuseum.nl, etc. Perhaps the Amsterdam tourist office can provide you with more info. Come on, it can't be that hard to figure out!

I expect the 9 Straatjes area to have a lot of closed doors. Probably best to do that on saturday. This goes for alle shopping areas except Kalverstraat and Leidsestraat I guess.

I don't think you will have any trouble finding a coffeeshop that is open for business. The ones in the city center cater mostly to tourists and thus will open pretty much everyday of the year - especially when there are lots of tourists in town.

This weekend is going to be crowded as hell and the weather is predicted to be awesome on sunday and monday. You lucky bastards. :rolleyes:

newbie here, how do you do that?

By clicking on this icon next to the post/poster you want to give credit to: reputation.gif

+rep'ed him, definitely deserving.

Have any of you been to the Heineken Brewery? Worth going to?

Thanks, brother.

I've never been to Heineken, but several friends (including locals) have told me it's quite interesting.

Make sure you people try to do all the touristy stuff as early as possible if you don't want to be waiting in line. Van Gogh, Anne Frank and such can be mad hectic at times.

On an unrelated subject (didn't feel like I should start a new thread),

does anyone have any suggestions for a DECENT hotel (not a hostel). I am going for 6 daze in May, with the wife, and don't want to stay in a dump. AND I want to stay pretty central. Last time I was there, I stayed at Le Meridian. While nice enough, it was kinda out in the suburbs, and I'd like to stay closer to shit that's going on.

Also, any recommendations on any REALLY good coffee houses right now?

THANKS!

last year i stayed at the swissotel and it was nice but the rooms were small, but ill be checkin into the dylan tomorrow and will report back. the dylan looks like its supposed to be pretty nice and it came down between that the kras and the sas radisson (the dam one not the airport one)

as far as coffeeshop i liked in no particular order:

barneys

grey area

hill street blues

baba

abraxas

greenhouse

amnesia

dutch flower

bas joes

Nice, thanks. Let me know about the hotel situation. Did you check out Dampkring? Last time I was there (a year and a half ago), Dampkring had pretty much the best herbs of all the spots I went to, not to mention they serve alcohol. I'm so psyched to go, my mouth has been watering for days now...