MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahoy!

I understand the concern about the price difference with Japan and US.

Here's the low down:

First of all, putting this concept together has being a huge investment, no efforts were saved to launch this line. I have been working on it closely with SC for a year and half, both companies investing time and money.

I have now the exclusive rights of distribution in US and EU for this collection (makes sense since it is MF® design, but being manufactured by SugarCane, the line could fall under their established US and EU distributors).

Technically, Japan retailers (Hinoya, Beams, Junkie Style etc...who will carry the collection) cannot export to US, as much as MF® cannot export to Japan (agreement between MF® and SC).

But short of sending Guido to break legs, i will just honor my side of the gentleman's agreement.

Anyone who wants to buy from Hinoya is welcome, and they might save money, indeed.

On a tech. note, most Japan retail stores carry "one wash", which rinses out the starch, necessary to keep your own sturdy creases in the denim...I recommend getting a raw issue and do the rinsing at home. I'll post later on how i did it for mine, which is already getting some cool sign of abuse...

Also, industrial washing with denim is the worst thing for the environement (chemicals all go in our rivers), so i always opt for raw versions.

The urging question here seems to be about the price difference in JP and US. The MF® retail prices had been calculated early on (import fees are different whether you send 1 piece as "gift" or whether a company imports a whole commercial shipment). The US products will also have extra labor involving MF® labeling, packaging etc...

Hinoya is the "Wal-Mart" of denim and it is hard for small stores to "compete" with their prices and selling strategies. Ask around to your disappearing local Mum n Pop downtown stores...They sure "made a killing" selling appliances for twice as much as the suburbs Giants, right?

Result: Travel through small town America, and you feel like Charlton Heston in the opening scene on the "Omega Man"...

I believe in local economy, so i don't buy "made in China" when i can find it (for more money) "made in US", nor do i have products manufactured by underage, underpaid kids in Malaysia. I chose "made in US" or made in places where craftmanship and labor laws apply, such as Japan...

I will get my shoes re-soled by my local cobbler as opposed to buying a new pair, "made in blabla", for the price of the re-soling job. My local cobbler is worth me saving the extra dough to give him the job.

So, at the end of the day, Mum n Pop didn't fold because of me.

But, at the end of the day, it's YOUR call.

Since all of this might sound like rambling to some, I have worked out the suggested retail price for the Peacoat in the US to $589.95

And believe me, with what my cost is for this high quality product, no one's "making a killing" here.

Trust me.

I'l be posting more interesting facts (now that the $ issue has been addressed) about specs, with photos soon, for those into it.

In the meantime, the peacoat is available here:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/sc11500a/

and eventually here:

www.selfedge.com

www.misterfreedom.com

(and maybe soon in the "Paul Smith" Paris/London/Tokyo stores...

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Christophe Loiron

Mister Freedom®

Also, industrial washing with denim is the worst thing for the environement (chemicals all go in our rivers), so i always opt for raw versions.

didnt know about this, thanks for the info

I stopped by yesterday and saw the Denim Peacoat and it's absolutely amazing. I'm still waiting for the next Mr. Freedom x SC work pant collaboration. I saw a sample of it and I was informed that it will be ready for purchase middle of March.

Went to Junky Special in Shinjuku and saw the new Mister Freedom stuff. Wow . Considered buying the pea-coat since I found some big armpit holes in my current pea, but its almost spring here ,and its 54,000 yen...:(

The shirts are real nice too. Especially the denim utility shirt. Cool snap buttons! They had the raped, acid washed versions of the jeans Cotton Duck is wearing. Ouch...

All in all, I was very impressed . Didn't buy any MF but I got a nice Sugarcane flanel outdoors shirt. Sugarcane's basic line so reasonably priced.:)

Is the Mister Freedom line still on schedule for a release sometime in March at Self Edge? Went over the whole thread again and I am quite anxious to have another chance at the jeans and other items.

You should start seeing two or three pieces out of the collection by the end of this month.. You'll know when we get the items in, we're doing a full shoot for the pieces the second they come into the store.

You should start seeing two or three pieces out of the collection by the end of this month.. You'll know when we get the items in, we're sending them to Amsterdam and having Cotton do a full shoot for the pieces the second they come into the store, he will get to keep them afterwards.

Oh cool, you didn't tell me yet!

The new SC47163 denim utility trousers are going for 36,540 yen ( one wash) and 41,790 yen (hard wash) in Japan. I don't like these as much as the old ones. The old ones ( the jeans at the beginning of this thread, in one wash of course) have a lot more detailing and life to them.

where do you think the chemicals go when you rinse the starch out of your jeans when u soak them?

ps. your line is pretty cool

feapril2008coverol1.th.jpg

The cover of the Free & Easy April issue. They are having a "Naval Fair" at the "Rugged Museum"...No rubberLized coats, just NavaR stuff...

feapril2008abv4.th.jpg

The 1/2 Toyo advertising for the new collection.

feapril2008bbc2.th.jpg

2/2, next to the editorial review by Chief editor Mr Onozato (I had Google translation on that, but still made as much sense as an import self assembly tool manual)

feapril2008cfz0.th.jpg

A page on USN peacoats...

feapril2008fsn4.th.jpg

A page on USN chambray shirts, still featuring McQueen in the brilliant "Sand Pebbles" movie.

(Mc Queen (to the chinese naval tailor): "I don't need whites! You makee blues, plenty blues!")

feapril2008ddm1.th.jpg

A page about the MF® store, featuring naval stuff. 1/2

feapril2008ekk8.th.jpg

2/2, for those of you french speaking, i pulled a fast one on the description of the navy knife on the bottom. "Zboub" is slang from something else...But the magazine came out April 1rst, right?

rollingstoneapril2008tw9.th.jpg

A little article in "Rolling Stone" magazine (Japan, obviously), April 2008. The mag is about a year old in Japan.

Cheers everyone, will be back asap.

Thanks a bunch,

C.

• 3 weeks later...
doesnt this line get released today?

We'll have it all online next week, but in-store tomorrow...

Just wait till you see what we have planned for this..

:)

• superfuture changed the title to MISTER FREEDOM