Unknown Japanese Brands

ktouran6923

I’ll come out and say it, I don’t think the Indian red selvedge ID of the cottle jeans are bad looking at all. In fact I find it compelling. I know I might be alone on this one but, I wonder if anyone else is with me.

Actually, what I do find a bit odd is the design on the patch. I know it represents neighboring islands. Just seems a bit phallic. *shrugs shoulders*

On 3/22/2021 at 5:31 PM, Maynard Friedman said:

I’ve looked at a number of pictures of the Jelado 301XX and noticed that the top of the back right pocket runs parallel to the yoke whilst the top of the back left pocket runs parallel to the waistband. Consequently they’re both at different angles and I t’s not due to how they’re folded for photos. It’s very strange and something I’ve never seen before.

86284202-3F77-4034-B957-05B06B83ACC1.jpeg

CE956DD4-5DD0-4C1F-8112-4A61613FA8B2.jpeg

2D19CD29-64FA-45C4-AFE4-F57C22CA36AC.jpeg

I've just posted about this in the non-Japanese thread as I didn't notice I wasn't in this thread and somehow missed this post.

I really fancy a pair of these in the unwashed and Clutch Cafe have my size but the pockets are putting me off.

I found this site:

http://denimarchieves.com/e/repro_denim_clothes/jelado_301xx_en.html

They say "The back pockets are symmetrical on the Levi's 501XX, but on the Gerrard 301XX, they are asymmetrical. The left pocket is shown in the photo, but the right pocket is similarly shaped with the right side bulged out. The right side of the right pocket is also bulged out. Also, on the Levi's 501XX, the back pockets are mounted parallel to the back yoke, whereas on the Gerard 301XX, the back pockets are mounted at an angle to the back yoke."

So obviously isn't a fault or mistake but as you say normal fifties 501s didn't have pockets like this so not quite sure what the reasoning is behind this.

I could probably learn to like this pocket style if there is a good vintage explanation for it.

Thanks g_g, I found that site too but didn’t bother to read it properly (despite discovering the English version). I just looked at the pictures! :biggrin:
Your photo illustrates the issue far better than mine though.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

• 2 weeks later...

Got around to washing and wearing those, since I figured I wouldn't win any contests with my lifestyle right now :D

Go West "mystery" jeans. got a leather yoke and the fabric between the front-pockets and the waist is not denim, but leather aswell. Pictures of that a few pages back.
Black warp, strong sulfur smell and stiff denim.
Not sure about the length at the moment, but let's see.
Really nice detail is the stitch-count on the inseam. gets higher in the crotch area. 

IMG_20210402_112737.jpg

IMG_20210402_112647.jpg

Edited by Thanks_M8

On 3/5/2021 at 4:05 PM, persco_ said:

I got very Cottle-curious a few months ago. But the more I delved into the brand the more precious they seemed and thus not worth it (to me personally) for the premium being sought. Then I walked away. This is where I think William at Tender has struck a good balance between what you framed as whimsy mixed with attention to detail that just somehow retains an authenticity (probably misquoting you). 

I'm tempted by quite a few of their offerings. Not surprisingly, Tender is one of my favorites - but the cuts and styles are pretty different over at Cottle and I think would mix quite well actually. The premium for some things isn't really much more than with Tender either - sometimes price are basically comparable. I like the selvedge line also, though I don't hold classic Levi's and the accompanying details as an objective standard either. I think it's funny that a little selvedge line is considered loud against some of the flannels and other design elements often seen - not that those are bad, but a selvedge line on the pocket is hardly loud noticeable to most people. If I get anything I will report back - I do wish the jeans were unsanforized. I am more curious about some of their tops to be honest. 

They look great unders, I particularly like the neppy denim. I believe you just need a piece of wood (4x2) placed strategically behind the rivet when you blat it with a hammer. I’ll ask on behalf of everyone else - where’d you get ‘em? Signal Garments?

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Always liked the look of those, denim looks really nice.
Personally can’t ever get with the early one back pocket repros because I’m left handed, so I usually keep my wallet in my back left pocket.

Cheers @MJF9 I’ll continue to rely on the cinch and belt loops, and the Bobby Ball reference ain’t swinging it!

Thanks for posting that @Duke Mantee Good to see some detail pics. So the yoke stitching on the Levi’s is right way around, so the Signal pair are upside down, and these don’t have the leather washers. 

1 hour ago, unders said:

Cheers @MJF9 I’ll continue to rely on the cinch and belt loops, and the Bobby Ball reference ain’t swinging it!

Thanks for posting that @Duke Mantee Good to see some detail pics. So the yoke stitching on the Levi’s is right way around, so the Signal pair are upside down, and these don’t have the leather washers. 

No worries mate - Captain Jean is a good guy. As for overlocking/serging - it was in development around mid/late 19th c. but not patented until 1889 (‘invented’ about 8~9 years earlier), so probably not in use for mass production until a good while after that I’d think.

All that period correct nonsense aside, those are really nice overalls. They seem to have the right pattern and they capture the essence of old timey trews.

Edited by Duke Mantee