Unknown Japanese Brands

ktouran6923

14 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Thanks IH, 

I read "they use original Smith's Overalls parts" it's me who's putting 2+2 together and possibly coming up with 5 because i can't think of any other Smith's Overalls other than Big Smith Overalls... it could be just lost in translation.

I would note here that “original” when used by most Japanese brands means new/repro, not vintage originals. 

.. ive done a bit more reading up and i'm as sure as i can be that those Smith's buttons are indeed original, deadstock, vintage.. from 'Smith's Overall Company' a well known established American brand (apparently)

...but rather than these being 'old, old stock' vintage, Smith's was still making overalls/workwear in the USA until relatively recently, taken over by a Japanese workwear/denim company in the 90's so those buttons, if 'old stock' were probably not that old at the time the jeans were manufactured.

A pair of MiA Smith's overalls

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 19.32.34

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 19.32.34

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 19.42.01

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I look at it this way Charles "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness" (if only Levi's felt the same) the jeans which they're paying homage to 1930's-1960's Levi's being "greatness" and if Levi's would have maintained some level of 'greatness' up to the 1990's instead of cutting costs/maximising profits there would have been much less need for the Japanese replica boom, obviously availability played it's part too.

Today's offerings.. 'Barns 7011' from budget sweatshirt/t-shirt brand Barns Outfitters. These jeans are £5 on Yahoo....

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 22.32.12

...and these are a tenner

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 22.32.12

I bought a few bits n bobs from Barns back in the midst of time (S-Town put me onto them) they're great staples for very little money.

Old Hands OH15-9 found on Yahoo for 80 bucks. Very straight legged/wide cut in the leg, somewhat snug top block.
Natural indigo denim that's been washed pretty heavily, so these feel very soft and pliable.
I'm going to give these a wash as they smell of cheap, strongly perfumed detergent. :wacko:
qKPBqc7.jpg
7Au1Na8.jpg
c5lsdKH.jpg
s7cs6Bq.jpg
dyZpMNa.jpg
2FPuljx.jpg
rVGHK6n.jpg
MI5pTi7.jpg
lHJwWMN.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

These Triple R's are a nice old repro..

fullsizeoutput_23d1

Colour is a bit off due to the awful January lighting

fullsizeoutput_23d0

Coleslaw mentions these RRR's earlier in the thread

fullsizeoutput_23cf

Only 250 pairs were made back in 1998 so it's surprising that i managed to land a pair in one wash...and lightly worn condition.

fullsizeoutput_239e

fullsizeoutput_2391

Scovil hardwear

fullsizeoutput_2392

fullsizeoutput_2390

fullsizeoutput_2394

fullsizeoutput_2399

From the limited information ive gathered.. in 1998 Mr. Kiyofumi Yuta who owned a garment factory in Okayama (years later he went on to make Ark Jeans.. shown below)

fullsizeoutput_23d4

...worked with 'Real Jeans' 'Rare Rare Club' & 'Ray Design Unit' to repro the 'Triple R' jeans, hence RRR

fullsizeoutput_23d2

I sized dowm 1 on these to a 31" and kept my fingers crossed

fullsizeoutput_23cd

...which worked out quite well and good job too because beggers can't be choosy

fullsizeoutput_23cc

Here are some examples of the worn denim

fullsizeoutput_23a0

..looks pretty accurate

fullsizeoutput_239f

fullsizeoutput_23a1

fullsizeoutput_23a3

fin.