Unknown Japanese Brands

ktouran6923

^Thanks Mega! They actually seem to have stock at a few stores on Rakuten, but no luck in my size...  I will have a look at the custom order page - appreciate it, bro!

No worries man, it surprises me that stores would do that with the custom options. Let me know if you order, I'd love to hear your opinion on the denim.

The outerwear and shirting from Trophy looks outstanding but i can't see the appeal of the denim? Sorry riff but the pair in the middle look like some of the highstreet monstrosities i see over here in the UK. The pockets and prints look like design for the sake of design. Im not crazy about added features that serve no purpose and add nothing to the aesthetic.

Im sure they are beautifully made. I hope im wrong.

Double 0, I actually agree with most of what you are saying there. I think the print in particular does not have much appeal to the western market, the stitching is a bit "marmite" (apologies to those not getting the love it or hate it reference), but the standard jean, either Dirt or Garage Denim, is absolutely beautiful.

I will post some pics of mine later, believe me mate I have handled a lot of denim by the biggest and the best around, and Trophy's standard jean is as good as anyones, and better than most in my opinion.

Trophy are inspired by their owners passions, in a similar way that both Iron Heart and Flat Head are. Egawa-San loves Indian Motorcycles, and is also very much a fan of the whole "Cafe Racer" style, as opposed to Haraki-Sans Harley/ Chopper biker influences for Iron Heart.

I would say that many of Egawa-Sans design influences are more a mix of European (particularly British) and American, rather than a simple Americana homage, particularly in some of the outerwear and trousers for the upcoming collection.

When I was looking for a Japanese brand to work with I went through loads of various brands, all of which are very high spec and high quality, but I was looking for a brand which offered something distinctly different. I described Trophy the other day, in a private conversation, as being like the bastard son of Mister Freedom, The Flat Head and Samurai, but I think that does them all a disservice actually. I meant that only in a way that they share a very strong aesthetic principle, their look is very distinctive and they all concentrate heavily on the little details that we denim and clothing nerds love so much, and hold so dear.

Apologies for rambling.

Er... thanks Mega, I think I know what you mean :)

Yes I see some of the Euro influence. I think it is difficult for the JP brands to be truly distinctive though given that they are all pretty much working off the same base materials but it is the little details which give them some of their brand identity. I don't know if I see that here but then I have only seen a small selection of their range. 

I was interested because you are clearly investing a lot of time with these guys so I wondered what it was that piqued your own interest. So thanks for explaining.

All I would add about their distinction in the details is to take a look at their N-1. As Ed picked up on, it is definitely a traditional N-1 in terms of how it looks, but the little additions of horse hide here and there make it distinctly Trophy.

There are other items, shirts and jackets mainly, which have some very quirky little details, some of which may not translate to a Western customer (although I might be totally wrong), but I think they manage to walk the line between homage and interpretation quite well, whilst adding just enough of their own detail to take it away from what other brands are doing.

Just my opinion, and I could quite possibly be talking out of my arse, ha ha.

As promised earlier, some shots of my Trophy Dirt Denim narrows. I have worn these around 20 - 30 times in rotation with my Iron Heart contest jeans and they do not give up their indigo without a fight.

2013-05-18182827-1_zps392871c0.jpg

2013-05-18182837_zps030e0ff5.jpg

2013-05-18182847-2_zps74ce275b.jpg

2013-05-18182910-2_zps9b2d879c.jpg

2013-05-18182919-2_zps7cf31390.jpg

2013-05-18182922-2_zps5b5233ad.jpg

2013-05-18182930_zps44bc7f5f.jpg

2013-05-18182951_zps29b36deb.jpg

Notice the two colour selvedge stitch (blue and gold), and the rough texture of the denim.

Hi,

I'm new here, but not new to the denim/gear scene. I know Mega (friend and co-conspirator). I'm also a Trophy fan, I know posts without pics are verboten so here are few of my Trophy day bag in Olive. Its quite a small day bag but not so small that is a "purse" if you know what I mean. Its beautifully made, but you will either love or hate the pocket lining. 

IMG_0003-4_zpsfa2a6a5d.jpg

IMG_0006-2_zpsda03d1ab.jpgIMG_0005-3_zpsee34e366.jpgIMG_0001-3_zps7cc0dd4c.jpg

Welcome to the jungle H, good to see you around these parts dude.

As indicated, H is my friend and cohort in endeavours as yet un-announced.

Hog, did you ever receive an answer from these guys?

Agreed. 

Have asked about International. We will see.

Has anyone ever asked 49ers if they ship international?
They have a lot of good stuff and their fit pics are always on point.