guitar amps and guitars

poly800rock

IMG_1728.jpg

bought this on a total impulse a few days ago. went in to buy a drum tuning key, walked out with this, kustom 150 watt 2x12 with trem, vibrato, and reverb in sparkley blue tuck and roll! booya. so classy.

i'm more of a bassist, but this thread is close.

my basses are an antoniotsai "saturn" five string, and a warwick streamer lx.my amp is a gallien-kreuger backline 210 my pedals include an ibanez chorus/flange, boss dd-6, boss hm-2, digitech metal master, electro-harmonix big muff pi (russian), and an electro-harmonix bassballs.

currently i'm saving up for a custon nine string, semi-hollow, chambered and fretless, with midi, magnetic, and piezo pickups; think yves carbonne's jerzy drozd legend xii. i'm looking at ramirez, stambaugh, or vjcustoms, jerzy drozd if i can come up with the cash.

i'm also saving for two pjb stacks, two lab.gruppen power amps, two alembic preamps, a nice speaker system, and about forty pedals, no exaggeration.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest binaural

300px-UNIVOX_GUITAR_hi-flier_phase3.JPG

i have two Univox Hi flyers. my favorite guitar.

BA008-1.jpg

and Traynor Mrk 3. was my set up for the past couple of years. had to sell the traynor, though, as I'm not playing in a band no more.

Should I get this for $500 or the black version ($300 on Craigslist)??

I am of the opinion that the pro jr. is much cooler. better sounding, more compact... still loud as balls though, and sound really good driving a cab. loud enough to hang in the mix of a full band. no verb but its not that great on the blues jr. anyways, buy a pedal instead.

i'm more of a bassist, but this thread is close.

my basses are an antoniotsai "saturn" five string, and a warwick streamer lx.my amp is a gallien-kreuger backline 210 my pedals include an ibanez chorus/flange, boss dd-6, boss hm-2, digitech metal master, electro-harmonix big muff pi (russian), and an electro-harmonix bassballs.

currently i'm saving up for a custon nine string, semi-hollow, chambered and fretless, with midi, magnetic, and piezo pickups; think yves carbonne's jerzy drozd legend xii. i'm looking at ramirez, stambaugh, or vjcustoms, jerzy drozd if i can come up with the cash.

i'm also saving for two pjb stacks, two lab.gruppen power amps, two alembic preamps, a nice speaker system, and about forty pedals, no exaggeration.

do you play with a group? would seem a little excessive if you weren't playing out or at least a professional studio man...

need to get my guitar fixed... tuners popped off, need the action redone, nut replaced, tension setup, pickups adjusted. it's a bit of a mess right now. but i am happy im heading to a friends place this weekend to start writing music again, and luckily he's got about 12 guitars, plenty of amps, a drum kit, etc. so i'll be covered until i get my guitar back.

there is nothing like your own guitar, though :o

Guest binaural
going to be picking up an acoustic 150 head this weekend. will report back with reviews.

i LOVE acoustic amps. i had a 140 head with cabinet (106, i think... 2x15") and it ruled. i miss it. of course, no one can deny the power of the 360

acoustic_360_361.jpg

heavy as fuck.

Just got a classic 50's telecaster in white, cannot put it down.

Guitars... Tele, mim Stratocaster, Ibanez Artcore am73, old 80's Applause acoustic,

Pedals... Dunlop classic wha, Pro Co Rat, Ibanez tubescreamer, Boss PH-3 phase shifter, EH #1 echo

Amp... Fender deville 4x10

Now with the Tele I just plug my guitar into my tubescreamer into my amp and GO! No pedals needed. Looking to get a fulltone fulldrive to replace the ts. Here is me goofing around with some stuff.. myspace.com/michaelmusicbell.

I've got a Gretsch Duo Jet with the dynasonic single coils, they sound a lot like P90s though. I don't know exactly what year it is, but from the yellowing of the lacquer I would guess 70s or 80s sometime.

For an amp I've got a newish Orange Rocker 30(watts). It's a nice 1X12 combo, that I can get a decent tone from without getting noise complaints. It runs on EL34s so it's got a nice kinda "plexi" marshall tone.

I've got a Rickenbacker 620, if anyones interested in pics go here: http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm65/Super_david/Rickenbacker/

My amp is so so, its a 30 Watt Peavey Tube amp. Peavey usually doesn't make good stuff, but this amp is an exception. Kinda interested in a VOX AC15 though so if anyone is looking for an amp or selling a AC15 let me know! ;)

do you play with a group? would seem a little excessive if you weren't playing out or at least a professional studio man...

yeah, i'm playing with a progressive rock/tribal/hip-hop group called "zugunruhe" right now, and i'm building a recording studio.

all of my money goes to music equipment and clothing, haha.

Guest shuka

im thinking about getting my first electric.. i don't wanna spend more than like $200 for guitar and amp. could i get some recommendations?

im thinking about getting my first electric.. i don't wanna spend more than like $200 for guitar and amp. could i get some recommendations?

Do you already play? If not just get a squier strat pack or something similar. Or go to ebay craigslist or a pawn shop and get some cheap knockoff guitar for super cheap and a used solid state fender amp for 100 bucks. Don't worry about anything like how cool it looks or how it sounds, it's your first one and for that money it's gonna be nothing special. Just make sure it all works and the neck feels good in your hands. Learn how to play electric on it then save up in a year and get a real guitar.

Guest shuka

i play acoustic, and i've played some on my friends' guitars, but if you mean seriously? no. i mean to though.

i don't want to have to buy another guitar in a year. i had to do that with my acoustic and it was a waste of $80 i spent on my starter. i wish i had just dropped the $300 i had needed. what kind of price range am i looking at to just get a solid electric, nothing special?

i play acoustic, and i've played some on my friends' guitars, but if you mean seriously? no. i mean to though.

i don't want to have to buy another guitar in a year. i had to do that with my acoustic and it was a waste of $80 i spent on my starter. i wish i had just dropped the $300 i had needed. what kind of price range am i looking at to just get a solid electric, nothing special?

In your original post you said you wanted to spend 200 on both a guitar and amp. I would say save up a little more if you want something good. A used mexican strat (great guitar) or tele is only 300, you could score a used gibson sg for the about same price if you wanted. Or you can go crazy and get a cool old Harmony for the same. Or get a crap guitar, save up a nice grip of cash and get a tube amp. Any guitar sounds good through a nice amp. Whichever you choose doesn't make a difference if you can't make anything happen with it. If all you play is two chords but you make those two chords sound amazing you'll be fine.

Seriously, what they hell does that even mean?

what's with the condescending tone?

i'm sorry you find it hard to understand my stylistic direction explained in what i thought to be its most explicit terms; if it helps, the slashes denote the fact that we blend styles. you can stop at "progressive rock," if you'd like. i just found the ambiguity of the single term to be a little too broad.

Guest shuka
In your original post you said you wanted to spend 200 on both a guitar and amp. I would say save up a little more if you want something good. A used mexican strat (great guitar) or tele is only 300, you could score a used gibson sg for the about same price if you wanted. Or you can go crazy and get a cool old Harmony for the same. Or get a crap guitar, save up a nice grip of cash and get a tube amp. Any guitar sounds good through a nice amp. Whichever you choose doesn't make a difference if you can't make anything happen with it. If all you play is two chords but you make those two chords sound amazing you'll be fine.

thank you! so i'm looking at a range of $300-400 total? I can live with that...

Guest shuka

ive actually heard squier affinity telecasters are great deals for a starter guitar and should last me in terms of the quality ill be looking for for a few years until i need to upgrade. i know it's not a legit fender but i hear it'll do.. thoughts? i've been looking at this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510443

in terms of amp i'll looking at this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-25R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo?sku=480669

i kind of like buying things new when it comes to musical instruments.. kind of helps me "bond" with my guitar lol

shuka:

The Squier Affinity Teles actually are pretty good bang for the buck. Just mind the fret sprout, and be ready to do a little work on it to get it set up properly. Learn how to do your own setups. Trust me on this.

The Epi SG Special is actually also really good for the money. I've always kind of preferred the shorter scale of Gibson & Danelectro necks, personally, but that's my jam.

If you're looking to get started cheap, you've got a lot of really good options. But the ultimate weapon of cheap guitars?

Rondo Music.

Their Strat and Tele clones compare favorably to the $400+ Mexican Fender stuff, and their Les Paul clones kick the hell out of some Gibsons I've tried.

I know a lot of gigging musicians who go on stage with two guitars...their vintage Gibson and a Rondo. Honestly, they really are that good.

Line 6 amps blow hard in my opinion.

agreed. i agree with your point on fender amps too, to a degree; for a majority of genres fender is pretty sick.

shuka: as far as those two amps go, go with the frontman all the way. if i may, i'd like to suggest a roland micro cube. multitude of sounds, durable as fuck, nice clean and distorted tone.

el guitars:

fender strat custom

gibson sg

gibson les paul custom

b.c rich mocking bird

epiphone flying (gold/ white one)

gibson sheriton

epiphone firebird

epiphone dot

honner

dusenberg outlaw tv

japanese strat copy (first electric)