guitar amps and guitars

poly800rock

its a gibson. the headstock broke off and was replaced before i got it. i have the original broken off one somewhere. i wish it had the original, i like the way the black headstock looks, but whatever. the new one is this weird curly maple, it looks kinda cool. no big deal, i prefer my gear to not have obnoxious logos anyway.

love L6's. i've only ever played them in vintage stores and they've got such a great feel. it's like a les paul feel without the same harsh sound. something about the sustain of that big body.

lately i've been playing an ampeg v4-b teamed with a '73 traynor yrm-1 in stereo through an old 1960A cab.

thinking about switching it up though, the v4 sucks up so much power, its blown-fuse city.

wanna sell me that 1960A...?

hah. im broke.

lately i've been playing an ampeg v4-b teamed with a '73 traynor yrm-1 in stereo through an old 1960A cab.

thinking about switching it up though, the v4 sucks up so much power, its blown-fuse city.

If you're blowing fuses in your Ampeg, you should at least retube and rebias it; blown fuses are indicative of worn out tubes, many times rectifier tubes are the culprit. Can't remember if the V4s have solid state or tube rectifiers.

If you're blowing fuses in your Ampeg, you should at least retube and rebias it; blown fuses are indicative of worn out tubes, many times rectifier tubes are the culprit. Can't remember if the V4s have solid state or tube rectifiers.

if its a V4 from before 1974 (i think?) then the rectifier is a 7025 or some obscure uber-powerful recto-tube. from then on i think they're regular rectifier tubes, and then they switched over to solid state entirely. i don't think there were any half and half V4's

Guest spazzz
You will drop more than that putting alnico blues in a twin...they will blow pretty quickly. What is your setup now, and what sound are you going for?

I'm curious why this would blow. I've been reading on gearpage.net that i could drop v30's in a twin and it would be ok. I'm looking at that route now.

• 2 weeks later...

guitar:

ibanez jetking1 (the first version of it)

amps:

vox pathfinder 15 watt head/2x10 cab

~1966 vox berkeley II 32 watt solid state 2x10 combo

epiphone valve jr 5 watt tube head (play it through the pathfinder 2x10 cab)

pedals:

boss tuner > ibanez ts808 tube screamer > boss flanger > mxr noise gate > crappy rogue chorus

i'm currently in a band in pittsburgh (the saturn five, you can check out our myspace at www.myspace.com/thesaturnfive). we're finishing up mixing and ish for the new ep/part one of a three album thing.

pic from the last show we did and the guitar:

n14200876_36077585_5070.jpg

Alnico Blues are rated at 15w although most people say thats a conservative rating and they could realistically be rated at closer to 30w. This is why I wouldn't recommend putting two of them in an 85w Twin. V30s are a better solution for a Twin both in terms of power handling and sound.

Alnico Blues are rated at 15w although most people say thats a conservative rating and they could realistically be rated at closer to 30w. This is why I wouldn't recommend putting two of them in an 85w Twin. V30s are a better solution for a Twin both in terms of power handling and sound.

But if you really wanted to throw a pair of alnicos in, you could go for the Alnico Golds, which I believe are 50 watts. Somehow, I think most people stick with Jensens for Twins because they're supposed to be super clean amps, though I personally have never owned one.

I'm piecing my rig back together, should be a lot of fun finishing/building/soldering this summer :)

I'm obsessed with tone almost as much as I'm obessed with japanese denim. I've got an American standard strat - sunburst... sounds and plays like a beautiful woman, my pride and joy. I've got an old 72 telecaster, black. I've also got an Epiphone Sheraton II in great shape that I bought for $150 off of a hippy I know who couldn't pay rent. I'm currently saving up for an amp, considering a Fender Twin, bassman, or something along those lines...

^i'm selling a fender hot rod deville 4x10 if you're interested... all tube, somewhere between a bassman and a 70's twin in terms of sound. good workhorse.

ive been contemplating a new guitar for a bit, and i'm generally leaning towards a hollowbody for some electric slide stuff - i don't wanna break the bank, and i've always considered an epiphone sheraton II, but i need something with a thick and beefy neck like an SG (which I have) - recommendations? some of the lower-end gretsch's look nice, but i'm strapped for cash and its gonna have to come after the summer when i've worked enough to robokopp a guitar. in the mean time, i'm gonna try and get some pedals...

pretty sure V30s are rated 60 watts, which is perfect. you don't wanna fuck around with throwing low wattage speakers in a twin. it WILL blow them. what is wrong with the speakers in it right now?

i hate 'tone.' like there is some fucking specific HOLY GRAIL of sound that can come from a guitar. that shit is all relative, qualitative not quantitative and all that. be original. don't sound like jimmy page. or jimi hendrix. or anybody else named jimmy. the honest truth is that guitars sound like guitars no matter what. 100 dollar overdrive pedal vs 400 dollar overdrive pedal, its basically the exact same shit. now im not saying there is anything wrong with cultivating the way you wanna sound, i certainly do, but use your own ears to do it. don't be a clone.

^i agree with beardcom. jimi's "tone" came completely from his control via the guitar and the feeling of that guitar translated into both his playing dynamics and he he utilized the instrument in the completely unique way he did.

while the definitive image of jimi is with the original marshall JMP and other pre-70's marshalls (jtm's, etc) and his strat, i believe jimi really could play through anything, but his strat was a must. there are a number of recorded performances, such as when he played the gibson les paul (at the time, the SG was not in production, but it had an SG body and 3 humbuckers, what we would know known as a Gibson SG LP or some version of that name) on a TV program live - it didn't have distinctly fat jimi tone that he achieved from the strat.

even when i'm jamming with my, who uses a '57 american strat, i can't even begin to duplicate his tone, despite having a better amp and a multitude of pedals. there is something about the qualitative differences in tone that you can only get from a completely unique guitar.

while the definitive image of jimi is with the original marshall JMP and other pre-70's marshalls (jtm's, etc) and his strat, i believe jimi really could play through anything, but his strat was a must. there are a number of recorded performances, such as when he played the gibson les paul (at the time, the SG was not in production, but it had an SG body and 3 humbuckers, what we would know known as a Gibson SG LP or some version of that name) on a TV program live - it didn't have distinctly fat jimi tone that he achieved from the strat.

the thing that really gets me about the hendrix copiers is that hendirx used the gear he did because it did the weirdest shit available... he was totally pushing the envelope and used basically every effect that existed at the time, so it is funny to me that people spend $300 on a fuzz face clone to sound just like him. if he was still alive, he'd have a pedalboard a mile long, on some crazy fucking next level shit no one else has even thought of.

the thing that really gets me about the hendrix copiers is that hendirx used the gear he did because it did the weirdest shit available... he was totally pushing the envelope and used basically every effect that existed at the time, so it is funny to me that people spend $300 on a fuzz face clone to sound just like him. if he was still alive, he'd have a pedalboard a mile long, on some crazy fucking next level shit no one else has even thought of.

i'd have to agree. jimi never once stopped to consider the progress he was making in terms of effects and how he would be portrayed much later as someone who pushed that envelope.

i know i'll get guff for this, but john frusciante is sorta an offspring of jimi's limit-pushing. while he is confined by the standards of RHCP, his work with both omar-rodriguez lopez and his solo work really show an unbelievable realization that his pedals can bring new life to his guitar playing. frusciante has a great feel and tone, nothing especially mindblowing, but he is an amazing guitarist and a great innovator of guitar.

on that same note, the aforementioned omar rodriguez-lopez of the mars volta, ATDI, etc. is a bird of the same feather. he meticulously thinks out every move with a pedal and finds the perfect balance between playing, and pushing the limit of where conventional electronics can take music in a guitar-based band.

Guest spazzz

what you guys are saying is blantently obvious to any musician that has played orginal music to any part of a creative capacity.

but you seem to think it's some sort of mind blowing revelation you've come across.

Thank you for your help on the amp beardcom

what you guys are saying is blantently obvious to any musician that has played orginal music to any part of a creative capacity.

but you seem to think it's some sort of mind blowing revelation you've come across.

Thank you for your help on the amp beardcom

o rly?

maybe we're having a fucking discussion, asshat.

elitist information sessions are reserved for this forum:

www.thegearpage.net

no need to thank me.

you're a fucking yesman

and you're a prat.

who the fuck made you god almighty of internet discussions, and thinking you're so original for pointing out that we're so unoriginal is a fucking cliché in itself.

you're nothing new.

newest additions:

marshall4x10.jpg

marshall 1965a 4x10

fendertoronado.jpg

fender toronado deluxe series

and not pictured, late 70's peavey classic 50 2x12. Fuckin' love it. Run it through a couple cabs and crank it, sounds like a Fender twin with a bit more bite. Great reverb too. Tremolo's broken though.

newest additions:

marshall 1965a 4x10

fender toronado deluxe series

and not pictured, late 70's peavey classic 50 2x12. Fuckin' love it. Run it through a couple cabs and crank it, sounds like a Fender twin with a bit more bite. Great reverb too. Tremolo's broken though.

replace the bridge on that toronado.. they start to go real quick. maybe get a jazzmaster bridge so you can have a tremolo arm on the guitar? also much sturdier