guitar amps and guitars

poly800rock

question: should i trust my local guitar shop to setup my guitar properly, adjust the tension to a higher gauge of strings, as well as replace the nut, and retune it to C standard... or should i take it to a noted guitar place and pay a lot more?

i'd ask to play a guitar or two that they had set up, and see how it felt.

and i disagree on the casios sounding crappy, they certainly don't sound hi-fi or realistic but for the majority of my purposes i prefer something a little old school sounding... i am certainly not a piano player so the lack of realistic patches doesn't bother me. and the rhodes patch on the mt-70 rivals a lot of other rhodes patches i have heard (though a little more compressed and lo fi obviously.)

i'd ask to play a guitar or two that they had set up, and see how it felt.

and i disagree on the casios sounding crappy, they certainly don't sound hi-fi or realistic but for the majority of my purposes i prefer something a little old school sounding... i am certainly not a piano player so the lack of realistic patches doesn't bother me. and the rhodes patch on the mt-70 rivals a lot of other rhodes patches i have heard (though a little more compressed and lo fi obviously.)

i think that's what i was getting at really. not that i'd expect it to sound like a rhodes, but it's like a one trick pony for the casio sound......i understand the appeal, just not for me.

• 3 months later...

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead...

I just got a set of Texas BBQ pickups with the new toasted nickle covers by Rio Grande.. Best fucking guitar pickups in the world, hand wound in Texas.

BBQTN.jpg

Also, anybody have any experience with Hallmark Guitars?

I might want to get one as my next guitar, but haven't actually met anybody that's owned one except for Deke Dickerson, and that doesn't count, cause he's got his own signature model.

How did I not know that you played guitar?

We've never really talked about music.

I played guitar for seven or eight years when i was younger, then i got back into it a year or two ago. I've still got all my old gear from years ago, so i'm basically taking it all and upgrading it slowly.

I did away with my old amp though and got an Orange amp.

I have a Rickenbacker that I bought a few years ago. I don't find myself playing too often these days. Regretably, it'll be on eBay soon :(

sell it to meeeeeeeee

what kind? 360? 660? color? year?

need info/pix.

im still trying to sell some amps - if anyones interested:

Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 all tube - $500

Crate Vintage Club 2x12 all-tube - $400

i have no real use for them anymore, i haven't gigged in almost a year, so i'm downsizing (and looking to buy a cab for my marshall)

pm if you're interested.

It's a 650D. Somewhat rare-ish as far as I can tell.

beautiful guitar, i have a friend who owns a bunch of rick'smand i'm always compelled to just buy one off of him (save for the fact i don't have any money), but i'm sure he'd never part with any of them.

We've never really talked about music.

I played guitar for seven or eight years when i was younger, then i got back into it a year or two ago. I've still got all my old gear from years ago, so i'm basically taking it all and upgrading it slowly.

I did away with my old amp though and got an Orange amp.

An Orange? You disappoint me.

In your quest for the most amazing of everything, I thought for sure you'd have a Dumble kicking around under your dining room table. ;)

I've been desperately trying to find time to play lately, and it's a losing battle. The shop/kids combo is kicking my ass with ferocity.

But my favorite combos right now, when I can find the time....

Guitar - Danelectro U2 re-issue with a Lil' Smokey amp. Strung with 11's, because that's how real men play.

Bass - '76 Univox Stereo (Rickenbacker 4001 clone) through an Ampeg V2 head and a ratty old Peavy 1x12 with a Black Widow speaker. Sounds amazingly good for what it is.

I need to get Eric Wolff to build me a couple of delrin ramps, since I'm finding that I really prefer the neck/tone of P-basses, but I like playing way down by the bridge. So, eventually, I'm going to install ramps on my P and Univox. Eventually.

I'm trying to sell off a couple of my cabs so I can buy a combo amp...I haven't had an amp to play out of at home for a couple years now, and I'm finally sick of it!

I'm not sure what kind of combo amp I want...I'm eyeing the peavey classics. I know I want a tube amp with reverb and either a line out or speaker extension jack, but that's about it. wattage/size doesn't really matter. Anyone have any good suggestions?

That said, if anyone in the bay is looking for a genz benz 4x12, I'm selling mine for $350 (it was 800 new).

I'm trying to sell off a couple of my cabs so I can buy a combo amp...I haven't had an amp to play out of at home for a couple years now, and I'm finally sick of it!

I'm not sure what kind of combo amp I want...I'm eyeing the peavey classics. I know I want a tube amp with reverb and either a line out or speaker extension jack, but that's about it. wattage/size doesn't really matter. Anyone have any good suggestions?

That said, if anyone in the bay is looking for a genz benz 4x12, I'm selling mine for $350 (it was 800 new).

Depends on what kind of tones you want, and how much you want to spend. As far as tone goes in non-boutique amps, you would be hard pressed to beat Orange...everything they make (except maybe the new thunderverbs) is amazing and pretty tonally unique...very responsive amps. Otherwise, there is lots of stuff available, and I would just hit any of the Bay Area Starving Musicians, or buy something on craigslist, try it out and then resell it if you don't like it.

i've got some combo's for sale... nothing fancy, but they both meet those requirements that you have (reverb, line out)

dunno if you're interested though:

fender HRD 4x10

crate vintage club 2x12

man, i jammed with a buddy for the first time in a while today... i am outta practice. i have not been playing much, but damn, i need to step up my game.

plsu they weren't my guitars/amps, so i was kinda uncomfortable on his equip (this kid is loaded, has his own studio 10+ guitars and basses, kit, etc. - ridiculous)

got this recently

2190100509_64c59a2382.jpg

What's the story behind the tele? It looks vaguely familiar but I could be mistaken...

edit- Floral Tele, as I'd thought.. I like that, how much did you spend?

Nice Rick up there.... I've gone through my Gretsch phase the past few years and can see myself getting into a Rickenbacker phase now perhaps...

What's the story behind the tele? It looks vaguely familiar but I could be mistaken...

edit- Floral Tele, as I'd thought.. I like that, how much did you spend?.

yeah, the guy from hella used to play one, which is the first time i saw one. i paid um... i think it was $120? somewhere around there. it needed some work but its about setup and pretty nice. i actually put another neck on it that i had laying around, big improvement, but the stock one was alright i guess... not my favorite neck shape. i'll probably need to do something with the electonics, and i am considering putting a black esquire (no neck pickup) pickguard on it.

My guitar is a Japanese made Squier Super Sonic with aftermarket Duncans (JB4 and Jazz Neck) and the electronics stripped down to just the 3-way switch and the Volume knob, strung with a set of D'Addario Jazz 13's (wound G).

My amp, which I use for everything...guitar, bass, and keys, is a super-limited (#11 of 17) Orange AD140B. It is hand wired point-to-point and ever since I upgraded the output transformer (per recommendation of the original amp designer Ade Emsley) to a Mercury Magnetics, it has sounded like the voice of God...it is incredibly warm but has insane clarity and dynamics as well. The 1x15 cab is the 4th 1x15 Orange made after the company was restarted in the 90's...it has the original Eminence driver, and sounds great. Unfortunately, this rig is way too much for my apartment, and so I am thinking about selling it...I will have it listed in Supermarket before the night is over.

DSCN0118.jpg

DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question...for all of the amp heads...what would be the recommended amp for a drum machine to be run through (ala Big Black/Steve Albini).

ALso...pedals...your favorite/ideal pedal set-ups (could be a new offshoot thread from this one)?

Does anyone recommend a distortion pedal other than the Boss DS-1...something that'll thicken up the sound, but not make it too metal'y (but that could be more in the way that the guitar is played). Anyone ever toy around with the Rat pedal? Seemed pretty cool when I saw it in action.

I was digging around at my parents recently and found a lonely Squier Strat, it must've been my kid sisters or something, so I snagged that...

I thought I could probably muck around with it a little and make it a bit nicer, as I've not had a Strat in a few years, but i'm a noob with this kind of stuff.

I'm assuming neck pockets are all the same on these things and I could possibly get a nicer neck right? Are the back bolt patterns standard? I don't want to spend much on this as it defeats the purpose of it, but recommendations for a neck, tuners, pickups, and bridge for a budget build?

I'm assuming neck pockets are all the same on these things and I could possibly get a nicer neck right? Are the back bolt patterns standard? I don't want to spend much on this as it defeats the purpose of it, but recommendations for a neck, tuners, pickups, and bridge for a budget build?

you could get a nicer neck but you'd have a nice neck+a body of unknown quality. squiers have a range of niceness depending on location of manufacture and time period so you could have something passable or several pieces of plywood glued together and painted which wouldn't even be worth your time to use, imo. might as well buy a different body if you're gonna replace all that other stuff too.