guitar amps and guitars

poly800rock

Got an awesome hook up for my current band. Fender (american), Gretsch and Orange for 1/2 price. Excited to pick up some new gear...

Right now my main guitar is a 94 VG American Stratocaster (maple neck).

My amp is a 97 mesa Dual Rectifier Tremoverb and a Marshall Mode 4 cab. I run through a Zvex box of rock as well as a Boss octave, Tuner and a Delay pedal (not boss).

aw man, a new cab would do that setup a whole lot of good. Thin Particle board+smaller than usual enclosure=weeeaaak

thinking of buying a used martin 000-16rgte for $1250..

thoughts anyone?

I would say it just depends on what and where you plan on playing it. I have never liked nor do not see a use for a cutaway if you are not going to be playing past 12th fret (not saying that you don't, but most acoustic players are going to fall in the category of not) . I think this model has that fishmen onboard pickup. I have not been impressed by them, though i understand the lure if you are going to be playing out, there are just better options.

I have played but not owned a 000-16. I did however own a 000-18. Both sitka tops, both mahogany body, but not cutaway. I loved the 000-18 for the first couple of weeks, but after recording, and playing out i realized it was a week guitar sound if trying to blend. Lacked distinction among other intruments unless played louder or turned up louder, but then the distintness came from volume level not guitar sound. I ended up selling and getting a D-18GE, and have been satsfied for 3 years. It is an incredible, had it modified a little to even out the low end.

So, if the 16 series is what you are looking for, and you were not partial to the cutaway, and the onboard pickup, I would bet you could find used something even better priced. Otherwise go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
thinking of buying a used martin 000-16rgte for $1250..

thoughts anyone?

i used to be all-over the acoustic market a couple years ago. from my information at the time, i'd say that deal isn't worth it. you can do better. i also, think with that kind of money, you can do better.

guitarist from acacia strain gave me a pack of their custom strings last night .12-.75 heavy as fuck. now tuned to drop g# (or aflat if you wanna be technical)

hahaha rad. I don't play metal or anything, but I enjoy using Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies tuned a full step down. I like the tone I get on my Fender TC90.

On another random note, I pretty much got a free upgrade from my Blues Junior to a Hot Rod Deluxe; I sold the BJ for $350, and bought a Blues Deluxe for $350 haha. I really want a Matchless though, or some crazy boutique amp. Someday.

Would anyone be interested in buying one of my old general guitar gadgets pedals? It's a compressor modeled after the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer; I just don't use it.

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/asplashofcitrus/3970548095/in/set-72157622394428026/

i need this. absolutely 100% need.

VintageStingray_SeafoamGreen02.jpg

Sort of a Vintage Re-issue Stingray.

Lacquered Neck, Vintage over-sized bridge, string through body, 2-band EQ, and the fact that its fucking seafoam green.

i have a stingray. been playing it since '01. it's nice, but really heavy. i prefer a bongo, which i also have. :cool:

i have a stingray. been playing it since '01. it's nice, but really heavy. i prefer a bongo, which i also have. :cool:

I have two haha, got my first one (black, rosewood board) 5 years ago, and I got my double humbucker (black cherry burst, matching headstock) last year. best basses ever.

I just liked the seafoam green, 2 band eq, laquered neck and string through body bridge on the one I posted.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about picking up an entry-level electric (I'm an acoustic player) to play classic rock, blues and jazz. I;m looking for something with a good clean tone and a nice, sweet overdrive.

I'm trying to decide between a G&L ASAT Tribute, Agile AL-3100, or an Ibanex Artcore of some sort.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I'm probably going to pick up a Blues Junior, unless there are any better tube amps in that price range.

I'm thinking about picking up an entry-level electric (I'm an acoustic player) to play classic rock, blues and jazz. I;m looking for something with a good clean tone and a nice, sweet overdrive.

I'm trying to decide between a G&L ASAT Tribute, Agile AL-3100, or an Ibanex Artcore of some sort.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I'm probably going to pick up a Blues Junior, unless there are any better tube amps in that price range.

I'd argue the Blues JR is the best amp in that price range, though used of course. Actually you might find a better deal finding a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40 watts, all tube, 1x12) used because I've seen a lot of folks getting rid of them in the $400 range...and because Fender raised the prices of a good chunk of their stuff by 20% or something like that, buying new seems absurd. I think a new Blues JR is like $600 now. Anyhow, get used if you can. I had a few photos of my modded Blues JR I used to have a few pages back, but now have a Hot Rod Deluxe. Sorry for the Fender rant, I love their stuff, but the price adjustment sucks a big one.

Can't attest to the G&L or Agile, but I hear nothing but good things from the Ibanez Artcore series. If you're a die hard jazz fan, you should know it's not fully hollow, but has a block in the middle so it's classified as a semi-hollow. Otherwise I've played plenty and they rock.

Try eBay too for a Fender TC 90, and/or search on youtube for it. It's my main guitar now, and it's very versatile imo...does rock/jazz extremely well for being a semi-hollowbody, and it's a rarity of sorts. I paid near $600 for mine new though.

Epiphone Dot 335 (not the studio) is an amazing deal too. Love those things to death at that price point.

Of course those are the bigger named ones; plenty of sound clips/reviews on youtube as well. Anyhow, I hope you find a winner; let us know what you decide on!

On a completely different note, does anyone here have experience with a Matchless Lightning Reverb? I decided if I want just one guitar amp in my life, it's going to be a sweet boutique sounding, ALL tube (including the rectifier) amp. And the 2x10 model is something I aspire to get one of these days, which I think runs about $2,600 with the reverb tank.

anyone have a good resource for chord forms and shit like that?

ive been learning songs but have kinda been lacking on learning more practical stuff

not sure if this is what youre looking for, but i always used this site when i needed to learn how to play a chord: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

but if you wanna learn why a chord is played that way, youre gonna have to learn music theory. getting private lessons is extremelyyy beneficial

• 1 month later...

Anyone else here use Biyang pedals? I bought a Metal End King distortion pedal, been using it for a few months now, what a beast!

Considering it cost me £50, and is made in china, it wipes the floor with boutique pedals Ive tried that cost more than double that. Proper true bypass, tonnes of tone control and a built in high cut switch.

Ive not tried any of the rest of the range but if they are anywhere near as good as the metal end then I highly recommend them.

http://www.biyang.com.cn/Prclass.asp?page=4

• 1 month later...

been playing guitar for less than a year, but picking it up decently fast. i'm learning classical first and playing mainly on a nylon string guild from the 70s i found on craigslist for $100. i'm into folk and acoustic blues stuff and already thinking about finding a vintage martin 15 series in a size 0 or 00, or maybe a 000-15s if i go with a new one. slot head, wide neck, 12 frets. i'm more into finger style at the moment, obviously.