guitar amps and guitars

poly800rock

picking it up tomorrow. usually never sit down and play, so that's good news at least....need to start a grunge band now. Thinking about swapping out the pickups depending on how they sound, everyone says they're garbage. I went 10 years on my last guitar before buying a new one this year, and have bought 2 in the past year! I really needed a synth but this deal was too good to pass up

preamp the rhythm and record it on one track, preamp the lead and give the boost the mids and put it on another track. then fuck around with the volume until the mix sounds alright. pan one a bit left, the other a bit right. it's all a matter of finding the right balance so they don't sound completely muddled.

any tips for recording guitars? as far as double/triple tracking and getting the right mix between lead/rhythm and i guess you would say fore/background guitars

Hm...there are hundreds of options you could do really; I guess both at a player standpoint and an engineer's standpoint.

Record as many tracks as you can get away with if you want a big, thick wall of guitar tone. Think frequency wise as well, recording parts with possibly scooped mids, and some with barely lows and highs.

From a recording engineer's standpoint, using different micing techniques on an amp is essential to getting different sounds...

As far as EQ, always depending on what you record of course, I always take out anywhere from 100hz-250hz and below (low-cut filter) since guitars are mid-range instruments anyway. It helps clear up some of the mud of the tracks you record.

I'm not sure what you're situation is, if you just record stuff at home or if this is all common knowledge and possibly know more than I do at this point; I just felt compelled to type this out, as I'm currently going to school for this kind of stuff, haha.

On a different note, anyone have any experience with a Mr. Echo analog Delay (original)? I picked one up recently and it's mighty fun, although I wish the delays were longer. It colors the guitar sound a lot too when it's on, although it's not bad.

thanks for the tips, here's what i was planning on doing, i'm using Logic Pro by the way. first off i was going to record one guitar in stereo throughout the whole song, basically the main guitar track, then tracking several others and panning them left/right to fill the space out a bit more, of course EQing in the process, i'm going all digital as far as amps using GuitarRig3, i have some excellent sounds already with that, also adding CamelPhat and Logic's Space Designer for a little oopmh and reverb. i'll definitely add a filter into that mix as well, because like you said when adding a bunch of guitars the bass starts to get way too heavy in the end, whenever i finish everything i'll post it up in here!

l_29463d6e11293c1b0d4fd7ffde1a1794.jpg

old (2+ years), shitty picture of my old setup:

'96 gibson les paul special double cutaway

ibanez tubescreamer (ts-9)

sovtek mig-60

early hiwatt 4x12 w/v30's (has a soundcity/dallas-arbiter badge on the back)

I fuckin' loved this set up.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently replaced an LED and two capacitors in my Blues Junior; fairly popular mods I suppose.

I went with Bill M's suggestions of replacing two capacitors with two Orange Drops (.1uf, and .015uf). It kind of made the amp stop farting out notes and cleared up some of the mud in the lower spectrum.

Anyway, here's the before and after photos of the LED:

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

and before and after of the capacitors (I didn't label them; go Where's Waldo style and find them, haha):

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

AMP PR0N

repped

i don't spend nearly enuff time up in this threak

this is lame, but if anyone is at all interested in:

- a 2001 black gibson les paul

- a 1993 black usa strat (bought from gruhn)

holla @ ya boy

i'd much rather sell to sufu than ebay

goes without saying i'll give you a stupid price

both are in excellent condition

strat has a hand carved bone nut done by this place in dc called guitar shop, which is secretly the best jawn in the country

• 5 months later...

old (2+ years), shitty picture of my old setup:

'96 gibson les paul special double cutaway

ibanez tubescreamer (ts-9)

sovtek mig-60

early hiwatt 4x12 w/v30's (has a soundcity/dallas-arbiter badge on the back)

I fuckin' loved this set up.

fuck yea sovtek is the shit

someone link me to DIY amps a la amps for christ mitb du

Got an awesome hook up for my current band. Fender (american), Gretsch and Orange for 1/2 price. Excited to pick up some new gear...

Right now my main guitar is a 94 VG American Stratocaster (maple neck).

My amp is a 97 mesa Dual Rectifier Tremoverb and a Marshall Mode 4 cab. I run through a Zvex box of rock as well as a Boss octave, Tuner and a Delay pedal (not boss).

what do you guys do when you feel like you've plateaued in terms of your guitar skills? i feel like i've been doing the same shit on my guitar for the past 3 years or so...

lol, i've been doing the same shit for like 15 years now....I've kind of given up on my chops and work more on my writing. theory and skill of writing. I never really enjoyed "jamming" without a focus anyways..

got a gibson sg standard and a zager acoustic. Got a couple of other guitars that aren't worth mentioning (cept a MIM strat). I dont have a pic on this comp but im sure i can snap one (or you can guess what they look like)

i need to bust out of this rut ive been going through. All the songs ive been writing are the same sad sounding minor chord progression. Anyone have any good leads on where/how to learn new chords or progressions?

Try to look at some song writers that you admire, write down their chord progressions, see if you notice any patterns, and just fiddle with it. Read into basic chord theory, which notes make a chord, theory of progressions, study jazz chords, and just learn how to manipulate different chords slightly e.x. E minor 7 sus9 etc. It helps quite a lot. Also if your stuck in minor progressions try to make it a rule temporarily to stay away from minor keys.

I usually go to a guitar store and and play other guitars to try and make my hands reacquaint themselves to a feel outside my own guitar. Then when I go back it's a lot easier to find new ways of playing with my guitar, ways I probably was too in a rut to acknowledge before.

• 2 weeks later...