guitar amps and guitars

poly800rock

Never played a marauder but I'd go for it simply based on the idea that a highway 1 strat isn't the most special thing in the world. Plus it looks badass.

/shallow

Ugh, so disappointed that a craigslist buy fell through, was about to get a '64 mustang for $900 (and sell my carvin off somewhere) but they had a "change of heart".

Never played a marauder but I'd go for it simply based on the idea that a highway 1 strat isn't the most special thing in the world. Plus it looks badass.

/shallow

Ugh, so disappointed that a craigslist buy fell through, was about to get a '64 mustang for $900 (and sell my carvin off somewhere) but they had a "change of heart".

I can't imagine spending $900 on a mustang. They're such fickle guitar in my experience. the highway 1 was such an impulse buy, i thought i wanted a fender sound, but would have rather gotten a tele, but now I relalize how much I play my SG, i want a marauder

I can't imagine spending $900 on a mustang. They're such fickle guitar in my experience. the highway 1 was such an impulse buy, i thought i wanted a fender sound, but would have rather gotten a tele, but now I relalize how much I play my SG, i want a marauder

My Mustang was probably the most difficult guitar I've ever owned. It seriously would sound amazing one day, then shit another. I even swapped out the pickups for Seymour Duncan JB mini-humbuckers and it just never did it for me. "Fickle guitar" defines them.

I want a new guitar. Maybe a Sheraton II or a Gretsch. I really just want a Ric 360 though.

EDIT: Poly, Marauder's are shit quality. Sounds like plywood. Nothing redeeming about them, ultimate budget guitars.

I need to move on from my SG, only way I feel like my playing is gonna go in a different direction these days.

interesting to hear that about the marauder, i've heard nothing but good things. any particular reason why you dislike them other than "plywood" sound?

stay away from sheratons, fretboard is crap in my experience, brother owns one.

Dang I used to hear that Sheraton's were alright. But I guess Epiphone has never been notorious for quality.

In terms of the Marauder's, they were Gibson's budget guitar when originally produced, so budget parts are budget parts. Construction is Gibson, sturdy, but definitely limited in scope of usability. The body's are made from thin cheap wood and generally the tone is flat and indistinct. I've played a bunch @ various music shops around NY. They just never sound good.

If you want a different direction go get a big jazz hollowbody then, :P

I'll think about that next time I go for a mustang, I've only played the reissues in stores so :/

I was thinkin.. kinda love the feedback big jazz hollows get.

Try Ludlow guitars, they have some vintage Mustangs (or at least they did last time was there). Down the street from Katz's.

Dang I used to hear that Sheraton's were alright. But I guess Epiphone has never been notorious for quality.

In terms of the Marauder's, they were Gibson's budget guitar when originally produced, so budget parts are budget parts. Construction is Gibson, sturdy, but definitely limited in scope of usability. The body's are made from thin cheap wood and generally the tone is flat and indistinct. I've played a bunch @ various music shops around NY. They just never sound good.

I was thinkin.. kinda love the feedback big jazz hollows get.

Try Ludlow guitars, they have some vintage Mustangs (or at least they did last time was there). Down the street from Katz's.

good to know to try it out then....

Its not as much that they were Gibson's budget guitar at the time, as it is that they were made by Gibson at a dark dark time for the company. Les Pauls from the 70's and early 80's aren't particularly desirable, and the people that are into them are into them less for being good examples of Les Paul's and more because the idiosyncrasies of Gibson's production methods at the time created a mega heavy sustain machine that lacks some of the versatility Les Pauls are known for.

One guitar from that era that I think is worth checking out is the Sonex Deluxe...weird if you are expecting an inexpensive Les Paul...cool as shit if you just want a raw rock machine.

Mustangs are very cool when they are good, but I think that they took the hit from the CBS buyout proportionally harder than any of the other Fender models...I have played two good ones, and a lot of bad ones.

^^thats serious business. as for mahself,

larrivee d-03 w/ a k&k pickup

234073.jpg

and this one i got for free

ebf8_1.JPG

same guitar, except mine is white w/ black pickguard. im thinking mine is late 80's mij, and it has the same kahler floydrose-ish tremolo. any help in id'ing it would be appreciated.

Sup gaiz.

Looking around-- found a heavily modded (body repainted, looks creme-ish in the pics, body routed to SHS) '66 Jaguar for $900. Gut reaction: yes/no?

Guy still has the original pickguard + pots so I could just find some matching pickups on EBay and throw it back in. There's an obvious loss in value, but I'm not one to resell things.

Probably gonna check it out tomorrow in person, but looking for input.

Word. At the very least, the neck looks to be original from the pics on craigslist (gold lettering, black outline/neck binding, pearl dot inlays,/etc.)

excited to try it out. Will post pics if I do get it.

And yeah, I'm going to have to sell my current guitar if I get this... But oh well, I'll take the hit and pay it off somehow hah. Good luck on your amp/comic sales, I'd buy the hot rod if I could-- kinda thinking that I need two amps so I can split my signal to get the sound I want (One amp being really fuzzy, other being reverb washed, overdriven a tiny amount, two volume pedals to change the mix, etc.....)

I want a new guitar. Maybe a Sheraton II or a Gretsch. I really just want a Ric 360 though.

Hey Jeepster, I use a Gretsch Elctromatic Pro Jet (with just a Vox DA20 practice amp) and I love it. Very playable, and good sound. In my opinion, excellent value for the price, although at some point I'd like to trade up to the (MIJ) Duo Jet.

I'm still a relative beginner, and from the looks of it, you guys know plenty more than I do about gear, but just wanted to put in a good word for Gretsch. The Rickenbackers are nice too though... love the Ric sound, and I'd probably go for one of those if you can afford it.

kinda thinking that I need two amps so I can split my signal to get the sound I want

Building off this idea:

Is there something like, a signal combiner thing?

So I would have my guitars signal split into two cables, run through different pedal setups, place volume pedals at the end of each chain to control the mix, and then combine the two signals into one which I could plug into my amp?

i.e.:

Guitar -> Chain 1 -> Volume

///////////////////////////////////////////////////-MIX---> Amp

/////////// -> Chain 2 -> Volume

edit: hm, just found this: http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-efx.htm

Anyone try it out?

you want a 3 Y box. It's a 3 switch on/off box with a mix - You want control to have 1 on, 1 off, no mix, both on, no mix, both on w/ mix. The Radial Tonebone one is supposedly legit, but I've never tried to split unless I'm just doing no pedals and slaving another amp. Should work w/ the Tonebone pedal though (true bypass if I remember correctly)

Building off this idea:

Is there something like, a signal combiner thing?

So I would have my guitars signal split into two cables, run through different pedal setups, place volume pedals at the end of each chain to control the mix, and then combine the two signals into one which I could plug into my amp?

i.e.:

Guitar -> Chain 1 -> Volume

///////////////////////////////////////////////////-MIX---> Amp

/////////// -> Chain 2 -> Volume

edit: hm, just found this: http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-efx.htm

Anyone try it out?

it would be easier if you bought a second amp (stereo setups are really cool too). You could also look at a morley fx blender and then leave empty or short the send on the fx loop and put your second effects chain into the return, your first into the input, then you could move between them or get a mix. You might be able to do that with a stereo volume/pan pedal some other way, I don't know

Yeah, I know watcha mean, but getting a second amp is $$$ + space. I'm sure it would sound better (and be more simple) than what I'm going to try to do (with the two separate signals into one amp), but yeah.

Anywhoo, I did end up getting that jag. It's fucking great even if it is really modded/unjaguar-y. I'll post up pics sometime.

ugh, since i sold all my equipment a few months ago, (and have regretted it every day since) im about to start buying new shit and right now its between a sunn coliseum and an ampeg svt 350H both are around the same wattage, both solid state (fucking ugh that im even thinking about that) and both around the same price. i havent really been able to jam through a coliseum, but ive played through the ampeg and the fucker gets loud. beautifully loud. which basically, i just need super loud low end.

3313476558_0d5f4c0eea_o.jpg

3313476598_c4c8a00879_o.jpg

Yeah. Pretty (really) modded, but I'm down with it. Guy changed the pickups to DiMarzio's back in the 70s. They sound alright. I might change em out sometime when I get the $$$ again, but that won't be anytime soon hah.

The bridge is really dirty/rusted or something though. I think it's really fucking up the set up (buzzing a lot even though I just got it set up the other week), so I'll try to get that changed out asap.