guitar amps and guitars

poly800rock

agreed. i agree with your point on fender amps to, to a degree; for a majority of genres fender is pretty sick.

Also agree on the Line 6s, those things are some of the worst digital effects known to man. I'm also not a fan of the Fenders, but that is just personal preference. However, if you like the fender tone, and don't have the money to go vintage, I would recommend a boutique amplifier. There are a lot of brands out there with higher quality fender replicas (Sort of like Japanese Levis repros) that all run for a little more money, but with a lot more tone. Some Boutique brands you can even find in chain music stores (i.e. Dr. Z) Brad-Paisley-amp-making aside, this is a really great company (point to point wiring, handmade in the U.S.). While they do a lot of Vox copies, they do have a couple amps based on classic Fenders - The EZG-50, Galaxie, and Z-28. Check out their website for sound clips and distributors.

http://www.drzamps.com/generalamps.htm (amps)

http://www.drzamps.com/contact.html (dealers)

http://www.drzamps.com/pricing.html (prices)

for cheap musical gear, CL CL CL CL CL. for sure. there are a lot of things there that go under the radar... though i suppose it helps to know what you're looking for. for instance, this amp and guitar cost me a grand total of 220 bucks... 120 for the guitar. both are great pieces of vintage equipment. sg is a no-name. this setup absolutely fucking murders any 'starter pack' you could get.

554110246_f01f7d7cce.jpg

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar finally, for about 10 years I've always wanted a black beauty. I'm tossing up on buying either a 57 re-issue, or just a plain les paul custom. Is it worth to save up the extra money and buy a 57 re-issue?

I think it depends on what you want out of the guitar. If its more of a homage-type thing, go for the black beauty. It'd be something where you have to be in love with the tone from the start.

If you're looking to tweak your guitar and get your own signature sound, i'd say just get the les paul custom and do what you will. I think this is the route i usually choose, simply because you might always want to change something. I always find myself adjusting and wanting to try different pickups and whatnot.

Im looking into getting a new, or rather a real, guitar, looking at rick. paul and gibbos - any opinions?? Just want to waffle about guitars really...

rics are amazing and beautiful but i can't hang with the super skinny neck. i would never in a million years buy a gibson les paul nowadays... anything vintage is WAY overpriced and the quality isn't there in the new ones. you're much better off looking for a japanese copy from the 70s... ibanez, tokai, etc etc. much better value.

Yeah - Ive heard about the japanese copies, ive also heard gibsons are abit inconsistent now they are churning out the guitars.... I played the new PRS mira the other day, ugly but it felt great - ive yet to play a rick - id like to though so I can make a better informed deciision - im pretty much sold on PRS now though.... but they are a few hundred over budget really..... another reason why id like to try the cheaper ricks!

Anyone give me any thoughts on how ricks deal with heavy stuff in particular the solids...

i'd kill for a Ric, but if you're gonna go the copy route, either do Tokai or Greco. Greco's are amazing quality, better than what they make today as it is. Really quality guitars. They even did some Ric copies, but because of copyright infringement, they're real hard to find.

Line 6 amps blow hard in my opinion. Fender amps are the best. period.

Line 6 amps are what they are. Fender amps haven't been the best anything for...I don't know 36+ years or so. Don't get me wrong, I like fender amps for the right sound, but they aren't currently making anything that comes close to the original blackfaces and the tweeds...even the pre-ultra linear silverface amps smoke todays reissues, and are hand-wired point to point if thats your thing.

i love orange amps right now.

I am a fan as well, but sadly a move is forcing me to sell my 140w Orange Bass Head and 1x15 cab and my ppc212 guitar cab...let me know if you are interested. Also, if you like the orange sound and aren't already aware...check out electric amps...the SuFu version of oranges...absolutely gnarly tone.

for cheap musical gear, CL CL CL CL CL. for sure. there are a lot of things there that go under the radar... though i suppose it helps to know what you're looking for. for instance, this amp and guitar cost me a grand total of 220 bucks... 120 for the guitar. both are great pieces of vintage equipment. sg is a no-name. this setup absolutely fucking murders any 'starter pack' you could get.

554110246_f01f7d7cce.jpg

Craigslist is the best...I wish more cool stuff went under the radar on the SFBayArea list, but people know their shit way too well here...you have to be REALLY lucky to score anything REALLY worth bragging about.

Im looking into getting a new, or rather a real, guitar, looking at rick. paul and gibbos - any opinions?? Just want to waffle about guitars really...

I wouldn't buy a Gibson or a Rickenbacker new these days...Gibson is a bloated company and is thusly grossly overpriced...plus they have ridiculous quality control issues, and their instruments aren't very versatile...also, its sad that next to low end chunk and sustain, the signature of a genuine Gibson is the way that its headstock breaks. If you want to spend real money on a guitar...there are custom building outfits that build amazing guitars for under 3k...electrical guitar company is doing the best all aluminum/wood aluminum hybrids since travis bean and their prices are totally reasonable. The best guitars that can readily be found for under 1k in my opinion are G&Ls. Musicman Axis are also very well made and good playing/sounding instruments for about 1.5...although the aesthetic kills me personally.

Yeah - Ive heard about the japanese copies, ive also heard gibsons are abit inconsistent now they are churning out the guitars.... I played the new PRS mira the other day, ugly but it felt great - ive yet to play a rick - id like to though so I can make a better informed deciision - im pretty much sold on PRS now though.... but they are a few hundred over budget really..... another reason why id like to try the cheaper ricks!

Anyone give me any thoughts on how ricks deal with heavy stuff in particular the solids...

PRS are reliable, but a bit sterile in my opinion. A ridiculously good value for a les paul style guitar are the Gordon Smiths...handbuilt by a small company in the UK...very cool...this is what I would play if I was going to use a les paul style guitar. The solidbody stop tailpiece ricks do fair with heavyish music...not built for super heavy stuff unless you change the electronics though, and in my opinion, that defeats the purpose.

Wow that was a lot...

If you want a PRS, I'd look at a Carvin CT series guitars.

I have one and it plays amazingly.

All the other Carvins seem great, even though I've never played any other besides the V220, but taking what everyone else says about them, the quality is great and consistant.

i'm considering if i have money available to blow after this summer (i'm stashing a good portion for school next year) to buy a vintage Gibson. I'm thinking an SG in olympic white? maybe a SG Special? I own an SG Classic right now (2005 issue) and it needs some work, but I'd kill for a vintage gibson

I may just get a cab instead. Vintage Gibby is gonna run me real broke, real fast.

I should refinish my guitar in olympic white... would be so great.

I have a rick 620 myself (one of the cheaper ones well...I think they just raised the price from $1200 to $1800....shame...) and I havn't owned many guitars, but I must say it is easily the best guitar I have ever owned/played. It is loads better than any lespauls i've played when your playing it it just feels right. True the neck is a little small as is the whole guitar itself as well as light, but once you are used to it you will love it all the more. Plus the way the necks are smooth with laquer? makes them so easily and good feeling to play on, that its almost as if....it just tells you where to go. Enough of that about the tones, I find that with the treble pickup all the way on it his a very bright and hot tone and almost jangly depending on the amp you are using, but for a darker sound you can just turn the treble pickup down some and fiddle with the amp setting, which I'd say makes it a very versatile guitar. I'm not much of a metal player and so I don't try that kind of thing too much, but it can handle it to a certain extent. Hope that helps you and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

sunn model t + sunn solarus + sunn 6x12 + sunn 4x12 > super feedbacker pedal > old hondo II originalmodel (w/ badass pickup booster) = my fuzzed out rig of destruction

holy fuck. do you have something i could listen to

by the way some kid brought his behringer half stack over today. my ears are dead.

the thing is just awful, it has no redeeming qualities. on the lowend, it sounds like you have a octaver beneath everything. If that makes sense?

the mids hurt my ears really bad.

by the way some kid brought his behringer half stack over today. my ears are dead.

the thing is just awful, it has no redeeming qualities. on the lowend, it sounds like you have a octaver beneath everything. If that makes sense?

solid state budget amps.

so bad.

i wanna sell some amps, but no one wants to buy them.

they are tube amps.

buy them.

with the behringer and that whole octaver thing, what you're hearing is the square wave of the distortion from a SS amp at a very high volume. everything just sounds tinny and kills the ears. like you said, nothing redeeming about them.

i found an old modded boss ds-1 the other day. i wonder if it works. i need to put a battery in. i'm excited, i think it was my brothers.

keagan, come to new york, we'll make beautiful music. :cool:

Thanks for all the input guys, gordon smith looks good.... im thinking of getting a limited edition rick 620 ive seen, around a grand... Kinda torn between that and a custom 22.. Leaning towards rick...

If its not already clear i would go (and went) with the Rick 620 I think its a much better instrument and price to quality ratio it is definately worth it.

Yeah - I get that, gibbos seem like a risk, bit of a mine field... Only thing tempting me towards a prs if how great they feel- the american ones... and the fact ive seen a mcCarty burst 20th anniversary lim ed on with bird in flight inlays, stop tail, etc for one and a half K.... bound to appreciate in value.

No one has mentioned the woods... does mahogany give a 'better' sound, more gibsonish?? Whats the difference between maple and mahogany...... also does a carved maple top on a mahogany body affect the sound much?? As opposed to just having a the plain mahogany natural finish build...?

A maple top will add some high end "snap" to the sound of the guitar, an all mahogany body will sound very dark on it's own, which is why Gibson gives Les Pauls the maple cap, it's not just for the look. Some people like the sound of a solid mahogany electric but I think it sounds like a guitar with a blanket over it. I also prefer maple fingerboards to rosewood or ebony for the same reason. Play them side by side and it should be pretty apparent.

Schecter VI, bass octave

I usually just play through either a 25w or ampless at home, or use friends' equipment. Best thing about it is that it doesn't need much to sound good, and it's always a welcome layer of sound.

vi.jpg

Here's my guitars

Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster

CIMG0866.jpg

Ibanez RG 8270 j custom

2.jpg

My current amp is a Carvin Legacy, but I'm looking to replace that with an Egnater in the future, or possibly a Bogner

i'm considering if i have money available to blow after this summer (i'm stashing a good portion for school next year) to buy a vintage Gibson. I'm thinking an SG in olympic white? maybe a SG Special? I own an SG Classic right now (2005 issue) and it needs some work, but I'd kill for a vintage gibson

I may just get a cab instead. Vintage Gibby is gonna run me real broke, real fast.

I should refinish my guitar in olympic white... would be so great.

What do you mean by "vintage"? A pre Norlin SG could easily cost $20,000

behringers are generally shit. if someone is at a musical point where they need the amount of volume a half-stack gives (gigging and such), they should be at a point where they can afford more than a shitty, rip-off, 300 dollar half stack.

i know exactly what you mean about the mids, i've heard that problem with a lot of behringers. not all of them, because every model is made from the shittiest scrap-heap parts and you never really know what you're getting.

i have had some great experiences with their bass amps though, but i think i just got lucky. played the same model, different unit a couple of days later and it sounded horrible.

in other news, i'm buying a boss rc-2 loop station pedal later today.

sunn model t + sunn solarus + sunn 6x12 + sunn 4x12 > super feedbacker pedal > old hondo II originalmodel (w/ badass pickup booster) = my fuzzed out rig of destruction

i've been looking for sunn o))) shit for so long but i always end up fucking myself on ebay and losing in the last three minutes. best rig i've seen in here.

edit: saving for a new amp head, do any of you guys know about acoustic image amps, also what the fuck happened to my post

behringers are generally shit. if someone is at a musical point where they need the amount of volume a half-stack gives (gigging and such), they should be at a point where they can afford more than a shitty, rip-off, 300 dollar half stack.

i know exactly what you mean about the mids, i've heard that problem with a lot of behringers. not all of them, because every model is made from the shittiest scrap-heap parts and you never really know what you're getting.

i have had some great experiences with their bass amps though, but i think i just got lucky. played the same model, different unit a couple of days later and it sounded horrible.

in other news, i'm buying a boss rc-2 loop station pedal later today.

lol behringer is a joke. You seen their new line Bugera? Everything is a blatant peavey clone, its amazing that they get away with it