guitar amps and guitars

poly800rock

idk, crate anything is a big shitbox for me.......

Absolute truth. And out of the group you asked about I'd definitely go Taylor as well.

Oh and I played on one of the coolest things ever the other day. My buddy has a vintage Leslie in his basement. Its disgustingly smooth.

ridiculous picture of my whole pedal collection. i'm gonna list everything out unless someone really wants me to. just kidding. see below

1499339996_16311d9cbe.jpg

EHX flanger hoax

Arion phaser

Akai headrush

Line 6 Tap tremolo

Electra analog delay

Boss PS-3

Ibanez pm7

Digitech turbo flange

Digitech digidelay

Digitch digiverb

Digittech pds 20/20

Zoom power drive

Zoom ultra fuzz

z vex fuzz factory

ross flanger

EHX microsynth

EHX polychorus

EHX wiggler vibrato

Boss HF-2 hi-band flanger

Boss tu-2

MXR bluebox

MXR 70's distortion+

Behringer reverb

2x EHX green big muff

EHX green small stone

Proco rat classic

DOD fx-17 wah

Ernie Ball volume pedal

got this super cool little amp yesterday. my obsession with weird 70s guitar gear continues.

1493268039_9a26e9c7a3.jpg

any real reason why you have 3 big muffs?

any real reason why you have 3 big muffs?

2 actually, one is a small stone. the reason is that i got the first one for a good deal and somebody offered me the second as a trade for a pedal i had, so i figured i might as well. the old sovteks are supposed to vary widely as they were all built from army surplus parts in russia, so i figured i'd see which one i liked better. as it so happens, one is much better suited to bass and one to guitar. i've only had the second one for like a month, i could end up selling one down the road as they fetch ridic prices right now.

really? i have the same one, how much are the running?
in good condition, on a good day, around 200 on ebay

yeah i sold my green sovtek (for parts no-less) for about $120 about a year ago.

im thinking of selling like half my pedals so i can buy a real dallas arbiter fuzzface and a EHX DMM.

i'd agree on the crate, but this amp is just an all around good practice amp. it takes pedals very well, normally there was an ADA MP-1 running through it, so it did sound good a lot of the time. since its tube (outfitted with 2 high-grade EL34's and 2 NOS 12ax7's) it does put out considerably and gets a great natural overdrive when the master volume is adjusted right. i like it, but im trying to get rid of it so i can finally get a cab for my Marshall JTM45 1987X repro.

in good condition, on a good day, around 200 on ebay

Damn, really? I have a couple of them, one is beat to shit because it was my main gig pedal for years the other is pretty untouched because it didn't sound as good as the first. I need to go dig those things out.

Pedals can be so profitable, I sold a couple of Wayhuge pedals a few years ago, made over 1000 bucks over what I paid for them.

Damn, really? I have a couple of them, one is beat to shit because it was my main gig pedal for years the other is pretty untouched because it didn't sound as good as the first. I need to go dig those things out.

Pedals can be so profitable, I sold a couple of Wayhuge pedals a few years ago, made over 1000 bucks over what I paid for them.

damn man. i actually caught a glimpse of josh homme's pedalboard on saturday and he's still rockin his wayhuge. its got its own seperate board with an old maestro phaser. don't think he used it, but he's got some great pedals up there.

any owners of the Eastwood Ovation Ultra-GP copy out there? im seriously considering one.

also, anyone invest in those nano-EHX pedals? i haven't thought about guitar stuff in months, so i can't really say i know much about them. i used to post over at guitargeek.com, but i've since moved on to bigger and better things (sufu/adultswim HAH)

Beardcom, how do u manage so many pedals, do u use them all at gigs. Also has anyone used a vox wah 847 and 848? which is better (in your opinion)?

i have the 847, and ive played the 848. the 847 is like the standard, and the 848 has a wider modulation range if you want to get technical. they're both very good wah's, and i got the 847 as a gift, but the 848 is sorta the next step up in terms of sound. i think it has more of a midrange while the 847 is much more trebly.

omar rodriguez-lopez manages more pedals than that live. its not un-doable.

im thinking of selling like half my pedals so i can buy a real dallas arbiter fuzzface and a EHX DMM.

imo, buying a real fuzz face isn't worth it at all because those og ffs vary WILDLY. stories about hendrix trying out dozens before finding one he was into. also not a huge fan of the DMM, i had one at one point and it is actually one of the lamer analog delays i've played... it sounds pretty good but there are a lot of things wrong with it too (crappy clipping, volume drop, etc...)

Beardcom, how do u manage so many pedals, do u use them all at gigs. Also has anyone used a vox wah 847 and 848? which is better (in your opinion)?

yeah, i dont take everything out. i did a practice once with a 20 pedal board but it really wasn't worth it. nowadays i just take a little case with pedals and lay stuff out on the floor.

imo, buying a real fuzz face isn't worth it at all because those og ffs vary WILDLY. stories about hendrix trying out dozens before finding one he was into. also not a huge fan of the DMM, i had one at one point and it is actually one of the lamer analog delays i've played... it sounds pretty good but there are a lot of things wrong with it too (crappy clipping, volume drop, etc...)

i dunno, i really like the delay of the DMM, and its a pretty easy to use item... i was lookig into a SIB echodrive a little while ago, but the digital ones are supposed to have a really crappy output and bad oscillation and the analog ones cost more than my car is worth.

honestly, i'd be happy with any vintage style fuzz pedal that is modelled after the DA fuzzface, because as much as i love my big muff, it can only do a fraction of the fuzz that the old school fuzzface's can manage. also, im looking for more of a square wave fuzz than a round fat muff fuzz. probably more akin to a maestro fuzztone or vox tonebender. to be clear, i think what i am really looking for is a tonebender style fuzz. i'd preferably like one on the cheap, as the vintage ones are worth more than my rig, and the new/custom ones have too many options which in turn makes too many problems.

i dunno, i really like the delay of the DMM, and its a pretty easy to use item... i was lookig into a SIB echodrive a little while ago, but the digital ones are supposed to have a really crappy output and bad oscillation and the analog ones cost more than my car is worth.

honestly, i'd be happy with any vintage style fuzz pedal that is modelled after the DA fuzzface, because as much as i love my big muff, it can only do a fraction of the fuzz that the old school fuzzface's can manage. also, im looking for more of a square wave fuzz than a round fat muff fuzz. probably more akin to a maestro fuzztone or vox tonebender. to be clear, i think what i am really looking for is a tonebender style fuzz. i'd preferably like one on the cheap, as the vintage ones are worth more than my rig, and the new/custom ones have too many options which in turn makes too many problems.

if you know how to use a soldering iron, id recommend building a byoc (google it) kit of a tonebender. good price to quality ratio. what killed my DMM for me was getting this yamaha vcr sized analog delay. its like a dmm with more knobs and longer delay time, super dope. also, seperate depth and speed knobs for the modulation which is really nice. also, insanely tameable oscillation.

if you know how to use a soldering iron, id recommend building a byoc (google it) kit of a tonebender. good price to quality ratio. what killed my DMM for me was getting this yamaha vcr sized analog delay. its like a dmm with more knobs and longer delay time, super dope. also, seperate depth and speed knobs for the modulation which is really nice. also, insanely tameable oscillation.

link me?

sounds interesting. i just like the DMM cause im a EHX whore. ive had so many EHX pedals in my time playing guitar, ive just gotten used to them being on my board. right now my only EHX pedals are a small stone (2001 issue), NY big muff, bad stone (haven't plugged it in in maybe a year) and a broken english muff'n (which ive been meaning to have fixed). i have no aptitude with a soldering iron, and i once thought i could do all that kind of stuff, but i have neither the patience nor the time to learn. thats why whenever i get a project (like the sunn head a bought earlier this month) i usually give up on it really quick. im really into instant gratification when it comes to guitar stuff.

just curious, what kind of music do you guys play using so many pedals? i used to be really into that stuff, but kind of gave it up as my old band started focusing on rythmns...

only thing i used was boss tremolo, rat distortion, and a boss dd5 delay. all through a 69 twin. I find myself relying on less and less pedals as I focus more on rythmic stuff.

just curious, what kind of music do you guys play using so many pedals? i used to be really into that stuff, but kind of gave it up as my old band started focusing on rythmns...

only thing i used was boss tremolo, rat distortion, and a boss dd5 delay. all through a 69 twin. I find myself relying on less and less pedals as I focus more on rythmic stuff.

i play all sorts of stuff. im mainly trained in blues, so a lot of my playing comes from that, but i listen to a lot of different stuff and draw influence from all over.

i normally don't use that many pedals when im playing. its usually when i record i do both rhythm and lead, so to augment the sound i use a range of pedals.

my last setup was only a killswitch pedal, my EHX big muff, fender blender, vox 847, digitech whammy (set to octave down), and EHX small stone. i normally don't rely on the pedals to be honest, i use them to create layers live and to make the output larger.

what my perfect idealized setup is, is something like a nice fuzz (tonebender), a nice delay (DL4, DMM?? dunno really), a good phaser, a wah, and a good overdrive pedal.

nothing too fancy. maybe a tremolo to exaggerate the tremolo i can do with my guitar, but thats just a technique and not really real tremolo.

i play all sorts of stuff. im mainly trained in blues, so a lot of my playing comes from that, but i listen to a lot of different stuff and draw influence from all over.

i normally don't use that many pedals when im playing. its usually when i record i do both rhythm and lead, so to augment the sound i use a range of pedals.

my last setup was only a killswitch pedal, my EHX big muff, fender blender, vox 847, digitech whammy (set to octave down), and EHX small stone. i normally don't rely on the pedals to be honest, i use them to create layers live and to make the output larger.

what my perfect idealized setup is, is something like a nice fuzz (tonebender), a nice delay (DL4, DMM?? dunno really), a good phaser, a wah, and a good overdrive pedal.

nothing too fancy. maybe a tremolo to exaggerate the tremolo i can do with my guitar, but thats just a technique and not really real tremolo.

that's not tremolo, it's vibrato isn't it? or is it vice versa, i can't remember it has to do with pitch.

anyone feeling a simple volume pedal --> single channel amp setup? with maybe a dl4 tossed into the loop.

when i was only playing out of my JCM800, i only used a volume pedal.......very simple times.

I found that the only time I ever used my pedals was if I was praticing alone at home, once I got out to practice or on a gig the last thing I wanted to do was remember which pedal was doing what in what song. Most of the time I have just a fuzz into my half stack, with an A/B switch to a tuner. I like using the volume knob more than a pedal, there's a difference in sound.

that's not tremolo, it's vibrato isn't it? or is it vice versa, i can't remember it has to do with pitch.

vibrato is the tone of the instrument being affected, tremolo is the wave/signal. i never really play on my neck pickup, usually on bridge, so i use my pickup switcher as a tremolo function (ala pete townshend - i use a repro of one of his SG's, the 1968 special with 2 p90's instead of 1), and if i want vibrato i will press the lower half of my guitar down (towards my body), while keeping the neck stiff (which will eventually warp the neck, but i have my guitar setup every couple of months to ensure that this won't happen for a long time).

I play mostly angular sort of 90s mathrock type stuff. think unwound, polvo, etc. also some more pretty but still a little weird stuff in the vain of codiene/low, and some more just ambient stuff and straight experimental noise. i like to make a lot of weird sounds, but nowadays my 'rock' rig is relatively simple. tuner > polychorus > verb > fuzz > od > delays. trem and more verb from amp.

yes, vibrato is pitch modulation, tremolo is amplitude modulation. fender amps are labeled wrong, 'tremolo' bars on guitars are labeled wrong.

my biggest problem with pedals is the lack of true bypass and even the ones that claim it still bother me. i always hear something off... if i was on a large tour id double my rig with a total clean and a pedal rig and switch between the two.

and for the sound im going for, theres very few pedals id ever use, especially in a live setting.

vibrato is the tone of the instrument being affected, tremolo is the wave/signal.

Actually in guitar terms Vibrato is the pitch or note played being changed, not the tone. Tremelo is the volume. The actual classical musical definitions are different from the way they are commonly used when speaking of guitar tehniques/effects.

Actually in guitar terms Vibrato is the pitch or note played being changed, not the tone. Tremelo is the volume. The actual classical musical definitions are different from the way they are commonly used when speaking of guitar tehniques/effects.

in essence that was what i said. but thanks for being specific for me.

anyone selling a tonebender clone?

i picked a multivox mx-20 at a garage sale that ive been meaning to fix. just needs a new input/output jack and it should be fine. i had a tech look it over for me, said thats all that was wrong, maybe a bit of a dusting, but thats it.

im kinda pumped. haven't played in ages.

question: should i trust my local guitar shop to setup my guitar properly, adjust the tension to a higher gauge of strings, as well as replace the nut, and retune it to C standard... or should i take it to a noted guitar place and pay a lot more?