gibson sg classic

gibson J45 acoustic (vintage 1966)

assorted other goodies for amps:

ADA MP-1 Preamp

Alesis Midiverb 2

Alesis Compressor

i have a bunch of pedals too - i'll post pics later

• 2 months later...

Sorta off-topic but I was looking at a Standard Telecaster today...going to be my first electric. Can anyone recommend anything else in the mid-100's price range that I may like (think someone who is heavily a Sabbath meets Black Flag meets Bad Brains meets Big Black/Rapeman/Shellac type of sound).

nah. just get a shitty japanese repro off ebay, throw some new pickups in it, and plug in.

honestly, toni iommi played a fender for a while in the 80's in all his recordings. greg ginn chugs away on an old silvertone or teisco or something bad, and a guitar of his own design. dr. who plays ibanez's, and steve alibini plays a aluminum guitar.

its not about the guitar, its about the playing. they all had a certain style that suited their bands and their guitars.

if you want to boil that sound down though - i'd get a Eastwood Ovation Ultra-GP copy

www.myrareguitars.com

check it out under "Ultra-GP"

Gibsons and Japanese repro's in the mid $100s range? Not much you can get there 'sides like, Squires and the like. Maybe something like a Yamaha Pacifica? I heard they were pretty decent for a cheap guitar. As long as you get a decent amp it should be fine, that's where most of the tone comes from anyways.

EDIT: And just cause...:

OMGMINE.jpg

Carvin CT6M

Amp: Vox AC15

Recently sold my Mesa Two-Channel Dual Rectifier and Standard 4x12. Sigh.

I would suggest going with the Traditional 4x12 Cab, as the Standard is kind of ridiculously imbalanced toward the low end, but the old two-channel Recto model is far and away the best sounding Mesa in existence (three-channel and Triple Rectifiers can eat shit in comparison).

Orange can sound good if not used for bullshit 70s rehash purposes, though they are at least 2x more expensive than they're worth.

I feel your pain, SWB... I sold my Mesa rig about a year and a half ago. Of course, in part it was because I was just no longer into that Mesa tone (perhaps in part because it was a Triple Rec and, as you put it, could have relatively "ate shit"... didn't know that...) and also because I've become a fairly reclusive apartment dweller who really only needs a smallish combo amp... which I am about to start shopping for...

• 4 weeks later...

Poly or anyone else...

What Gibson models would you recommend? Mid to upper $100's.

Thanks.

And what is the quality order regarding "countries of make"...i.e. I heard USA made guitars are the "best"...Japan is 2nd rate...Mexico is last. I'm new to this, so be gentle.

Poly or anyone else...

What Gibson models would you recommend? Mid to upper $100's.

Thanks.

And what is the quality order regarding "countries of make"...i.e. I heard USA made guitars are the "best"...Japan is 2nd rate...Mexico is last. I'm new to this, so be gentle.

mid to upper $100's? no idea. that's way too low to be looking at a guitar. Go up to like $300 or $400 and get a vintage gibson maurader on ebay. As far as the country thing, people say that the mid 80's-early 90's "MADE IN JAPAN" (not crafted in japan) are better electronic hardware than the USA made fenders of the same era. Personally, I'd go for a japanese tele or jazzmaster (but they might be too twangy for your taste). I don't buy much outside of USA because of resell values though.

For <100? Maybe an epiphone les paul. The step down from the standard epiphone les paul. those are fairly cheap. At ~100, there are a lot of options, but none i would personally recommend.

as far as amps go, check this guy out: http://www.ceriatone.com/

he does replicas of early fender tweeds and some of the better old marshalls. he'll also do custom orders- hybrid circuits, lower wattages etc.

i had him make a jtm45 with 6v6 tubes, thing is sweet.

they aren't dirt cheap, and you have to supply your own cabinet/speaker, but the value to price ratio is exceedingly high.

i couldn't tell if he meant $100s as in $400 - $900, or $100s as in $150 - $195

you're not likely to find a decent les paul for less than $1000

sgs are a different story; they can be had for $650 - $900 and will give you the sound you're after

i would really recommend checking out tokai stuff on ebay - they were a japanese company that made incredibly high-quality copies of gibsons in the 80s until they got sued for it

their les pauls can be had for well under a grand, and their sgs for even less

epiphone copies are usually decent; you might be able to find either used sgs or lps for under $300

the thing about how it's the player and not the guitar is true to an extent, but a better guitar is more fun and rewarding to play, so i would suggest spending a little above your budget and getting something respectable

you're right that us-made stuff is usually best, although as poly said japanese fenders from the late 70s and 80s kill their us counterparts from the same era

early 90s usa stuff is actually pretty good - that's when they started to turn it around (i have a 93 strat that plays really well)

japan is definitely not second-rate, it's just second behind the us in most cases

mexico and korea are sort of tied for third, with china well behind

i've heard in-the-know dudes (not employed by guitar center) say the mexican fender stuff is a solid buy

cimg0230pb4.jpg

ive owned lots of amps and guitars over the years, but this is my current rig, simple and easy, great tone for my style.

VOX AC30

various pedals, mostly always run a Dyna Comp, and a Boss Chorus set similar to a Roland Jazz-Chorus amp sound. other than that straight in with reverb up.

Guitar- 1970s Ibanez Les Paul black beauty

Bass- 1990s Fender Jazz

other amps ive owned

Marshall Major 200watt head with kt88s

Sunn Coliseum

Sunn Slave

Earth copy of a fender bassman with EL34s

Nah...I meant like $300-600 range LOL...sorry about that...

Poly, Bona Drag...much thanks...I'ma look into some Tokai SG's...as well as some other goods...

Saw some good things on eBAY recently...some decent prices for 80's MIJ Tele's...

I'm a total gear hound.

Basses

---------------------------------

Fender MIM P Bass

Hohner Acoustic Bass

80's Harmony P Bass

'76 Univox Stereo Bass (Ric 4003 clone)

Mach 1 Headless P/J Combo (Steinberger clone)

'80 Westone Thunder 1-A Bass (defretted)

Guitars

------------------

Danelectro U2 Reissue

Danelectro Convertible Reissue

Rogue Resonater (upgraded cone and tailpiece)

Ukuleles

-----------------

Epiphone Mandobird-4 (tuned as a Soprano Uke)

Hilo Baritone Uke

'60s Silvertone Baritone Uke

Amps

----------------

Ampeg V2 Solid State Head

Peavey Black Widow 1x15 cabinet

Vox Pathfinder

Pedals

----------------

Sanford & Sonny Bluebeard Fuzz

Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

'70s Ross Distortion

Boss Distortion, w/Keeley Tube Mod

Crybaby Wah

-----------------------------------------------

I haven't been playing nearly as much as I would like in recent months, but I keep 'em handy so that when the mood strikes, I've got whatever I need at my fingertips.

and also because I've become a fairly reclusive apartment dweller who really only needs a smallish combo amp... which I am about to start shopping for...

Check out the Vox Pathfinder, if you can find one to try out. 15 Watts, great reverb, and more sound that you'll ever need in an apartment.

I love mine, had it for years. :)

Guest JonasW

Guitars:

Ephiphone Sheraton

Ibanez Jet King

Ephiphone acoustic, built circa 1968

Amps:

Laney AOR 100 Series 2 Head played through a Laney HH cab

Some serious volume output with this head.. 4 el84's and 4 12ax7's I believe.

I bought it off of a guy who played Judas Priest and Iron Maiden covers in biker bars. He played an old Jackson RR model through...crazy.

I told him I was into playing Shadows Fall and whatnot when I bought it, didn't want him to say it wasn't for me when I knew what I had my hands on.

Pedals:

Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff

Boss Super Overdrive

I like boosting my Mids in the head, then playing through the neck pickup and rolling back the tone. Use the Little Big Muff to boost my signal and drive my amp because the pickups on my Sheraton aren't hot, more bassy and mellow.

Dredge up some serious sludge with this setup.

I heart Kyuss. ;)

Ooh, a thread about guitars & Amps. Well here goes my first post (hello everyone by the way!)

The Amp I've got I've had for 10 years, it's a Marshall 30watt Valvestate (it was cheap) which has a line 6 effects modeler & a sans amp pre-amp in front of it (to make it sound good).

I have a bit of a thing for vintage Gibson guitars though, I've got the following:

1936 Kalamazoo KG14

1952 Gibson ES175N

1962 Gibson Melody Maker

1964 Gibson ES330TD

1968 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Deluxe (with P90's fitted)

1969 Gibson Hummingbird

1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard

1994 Gibson '59 Reissue Les Paul

The collection's growing all the time though. Next thing on the list is a decent Fender amp. I'm thinking '50's tweed twin/bassman or a '60's blackface twin/super reverb.

Im thinking about getting a new amp but not sure where to start, maybe a marshall, i like a cleaner sound with a good reverb, but also a really good distorted sound. Does any recomend Marshall? Please give me specific models to check out.

when i was doing research on amps before i bought i've only heard good things about marshall JCM/TSLs... i personally have not played either so i can't specifically help you.

you may also wanna try a fender twin reverb... or perhaps orange rockerverb?

FUCK........Guitar Center if having a HUGE sale this weekend...well they extended it from last week. But still, 43th aniversery sale. Check your locak GC's!!! And Musicansfriend is also having an Up to 85% off sale online for summers end..

are those all frankenstein guitars?

only kind of, from L>R:

70's Ibanez made sakura tele dlx

no name old strat

70's unknown lawsuit jap sg (that was heavily modded by its prev owner)

79 Gibson L6-S (headstock was broken off and replaced before i got it)

older peavey p-bass

94 epiphone sheraton II