10 days In Tokyo, Inspiring places to consume visually & physically

Jesse

Just been there once but dying to go back.

So it's not an insider's guide, just humble opinions.

Best shops: Prada on Ometesando (stunning - architects: Herzog & de Meuron)

Seibu in Shibuya: very convenient - many in-store shop (I like Cabane de Zucca and Final Home)

Tokyu Hands in Shibuya or in Shinjuku next to Takashimaya: amazing, you name it they have it.

Don't miss Mori Museum in Roppongi Hills (great shops too)

Restaurants:

Kozue in the Park Hyatt Hotel: excellent japanese food, gorgeous views, beautiful room... expensive (have a cocktail in the New York bar and feel like Bil Murray)

If you want a break from japanese food, try l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Roppongi Hills: top french cuisine but tapas-style.

for a day( or two) take a train out towards Kamakura. Get a glimpse of life outside mega Tokyo. Take a wander around the temples that dot the landscape and the the Diabutsu. I was in Tokyo for 2 weeks. Glad I took that little break from it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

there is a beautiful buddhist temple called Houkokuji in kamakura famous for its bamboo forest. this is a feast for the eyes if there ever was one. i was just there, and it was breathtaking.

the tokyo forum is beautiful also.

if you need a break from the fast pace of shibuya/harajuku, i suggest you visit shitamachi (nezu station on the chiyoda line) to check out old old shopfronts that specialize in traditional japanese candy, crackers, there's an old man who sells birds, an old lady i bought tatami thongs from (...so sweet and great souvenirs), and just wandering around you will find great places to eat. close to ueno park, this area is good to just stroll. also, go to MIHOSHI for the best shirotama cream anmitsu in the world. ameyoko near ueno station is great for cheap sneakers and tons of people hawking their wares market-style.

i miss japan already....i hope you have fun.