in need of a new hairstyle

chizzua

Alright, so I have typical asian hair-- pinstraight, black.. I've done alot of different hairstyles-- fauxhawk, straight spikey, piecey and messy, long-ish with layers and too many others to name. But now I wanna try something new but I have no idea what to get. Also, I'm at college now so I don't really get a chance to get my hair cut all too much because I don't trust any of the local hair stylists. So, I'd prefer a cut that would still look good if it were grown out for a month or two, but it isn't a requirement. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your input!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shaved it off in September. I grew it back and it was pretty long-- then I got another cut which was short layers/faux-hawk-ish. Now, it's growing back about an inch/inch and a half long depending on the position in my head. My camera is dead, and I can't find my charger, otherwise I'd take pictures. Any other suggestions?

*EDIT*

I think I'd look pretty stupid with an actual Mohawk, and if it does look bad-- I'd have to shave it all off to fix it.

I got kind of a mullet cut last month...

Short sides, medium top, BIT longer in back with a lot of layers and stuff to keep my thick hair slimmer in certain areas, and poofier in other areas. Looks good, but its thickening out already!! Haha. Worn messy, not really 80s straightend steez.

Looks good on my thumbshaped head with thick ass straight hair.

PS. My side profile is horrible when shaved! I wish I could shave!

Since you're Asian, make the most of your hair style to completely take advantage of the size and shape of your face, etc.

Check out an Asian hair stylists range of magazines/hair books.

style it like a white boy.

I tried. My hair is too straight :\

but again the parts u want long, you should probably just let long strands grow out instead of a bunch of short, medium layers running down (giving the illusion of length). after you've managed to grow out the long strands for the silhouette then have them thin it out/layer/wisp/chop or whatever they call it. the problem is obviously the inbetween stage between short/long cause it does look stupid/poofy.

I can't really picture it at all, but yea I hate how my hair looks in the growing stage. =[

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Anything else?

Do you asian guys also have the problem of thick and hard hairstrands which makes it almost impossible to style it (unless you wash it, wear a hat while you put the hair into it's position)? I've been shaving my head forever, and I want to have a new hairstyle, I've grown my hair out once, but decided to shave it off again.

Use conditioner to get it softer. If I just wash my hair, I look like Zoolander. But if I use conditioner (I recommend Original Source Lime and Guarna, because it smells totally amazing), it makes it soft and whispy, and I can use pretty much any type of product in it.

style it like a white boy.
I tried. My hair is too straight :\

thats actually funny - I'm white and my hair is beyond STRAIGHT :P I assume it might be quite similar to typical asian hair, really hard to style cause its so straight. also points straight forward.

I have whiteboy hair that is deadstaight until a certain length where it begins to curve and each hair has a different curve length. Its bizarre. I've given up on trying to make it look cool and instead I just try to make it not look bad. Which generally translates to my messy unshaven beenie look.

I can't even wear beanies.. if I take them off even when my hair is long it looks disgusting.

Oh yea, I want a haircut that doesn't require too much maintenance either. Does anyone know of any good flexible hold hair products that actually work without making your hair all disgusting? I'm not really feeling the hair of the guy with the cigarette. Not my style.. I would try and get some J-Pop-ish hair but I don't have 2 hours everyday to do my hair nor can I figure out how they get their hair to stay like that... Any other suggestions?

I can't even wear beanies.. if I take them off even when my hair is long it looks disgusting.

Oh yea, I want a haircut that doesn't require too much maintenance either. Does anyone know of any good flexible hold hair products that actually work without making your hair all disgusting? I'm not really feeling the hair of the guy with the cigarette. Not my style.. I would try and get some J-Pop-ish hair but I don't have 2 hours everyday to do my hair nor can I figure out how they get their hair to stay like that... Any other suggestions?

my hair is very stubborn, hard to curve it anywhere. I use some wax, its good to mold the hair while avoiding the wet look which I hate. then I use spray to hold the cake in place. I try to avoid supermarket hairspray and buy mine at the barbershop. difference is the cheaper kind makes your hair wet and shiny and holds an hour, the one at the barbershop is finer so it just freezes the hair in place and holds it longer :o

It's been done... let me post pics of some diff hairstyles. Starting with the most recent. I'm missing a couple because I really didn't like to take pictures. The quality is bad on most of them because they're mostly webcam/camera phone pics. Also, most of the haircuts I get because I can change what I do with them so it isn't repetitive. I'm missing a bunch of cuts in the past couple years, too... I'll post them later if I happen to come across the pictures. It seems like I always end up going to a spikey-haired look, which I'm so sick of... anyways--

urk3-1.jpg

saycheese.jpg

niggawho.jpg

niggawha-1.jpg

gelonit.jpg

Apr1008.jpg

cut.jpg

My hair is really thin... any lower ceaser would've been pretty bad looking. You can basically see my whole scalp, plus I look like a baby. I sorta liked the long color at the time. I ended up cutting it all off, though. Faux hawk was basically the last haircut I got during the semester break. It's grown to the point where it doesn't work now, I refuse to get a haircut at school. Looking for something new/different. I don't know if I can go to my current stylist and say "Do something new that you think looks good." in fear that I won't like it. Can anyone recommend exceptional stylist that I can trust to do something like that in the NYC area that won't cost an arm and a leg?

I've decided to celebrate the first day of spring with a new haircut/style. I'll be cutting my shoulder length hair! I want to go for a medium length cut, but more on the short side. Like, eyebrow length in the front, ears on the sides maybe... Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to go there not knowing what to do! Might go to Hairmates actually. Any ideas are welcome, thanks.