Belts

cecil

My two cents on this (was thinking about this today):

1870-1960: America sets new standards in manufacturing. America pioneers new benchmarks in industrial innovation and design.

1960-present: Oil Crisis. American-made innovation and design fades against new competition from post-war Asian and German markets. Foreign-made goods become competitive or better

1990-present: foreign-made replicas of American-made goods now cheaper. America outsources overseas to remain competitive. US design becomes a parody. US a cheap hooker.

2005-present: US-made goods are revived by trend-setters enamored of an American manufacturing past that is almost forgotten.

The goods these hipsters ignored while in Liberal-Arts college because it was 'townie-wear' is now fashionable because of new trendiness in vintage/sustainable/green/back-to-the-land-move to a-farm in Vermont Thing

US realizes the cheap prostitution it succumbed to. US industry, prompted by trend-forecasting mall-brand money revives old mills and machines. Pottery-Barn tchochkes and Gap pants made in Vietnam become embarrassing to own.

US manufacturers learn new marketing and manufaturing methods and develop new labor philosophies. US learns to market products with "your grandaddy" and "they don't make 'em like this anymore"...US learns how to make shit without using ten gallons of oil per ounce of product. US learns how to sell GREEN! US learns to turn 30 years of punishment under EPA regs into and advantage!! They develop websites that work! America is saved by its own history kept alive by the Japanese and revived by a trend-following bunch of bearded Brooklyn hipsters with disposable income.

It's all about the beard, I guess?

1870-1960: America sets new standards in manufacturing. America pioneers new benchmarks in industrial innovation and design.

1960-present: Oil Crisis. American-made innovation and design fades against new competition from post-war Asian and German markets. Foreign-made goods become competitive or better

1990-present: foreign-made replicas of American-made goods now cheaper. America outsources overseas to remain competitive. US design becomes a parody. US a cheap hooker.

2005-present: US-made goods are revived by trend-setters enamored of an American manufacturing past that is almost forgotten.

The goods these hipsters ignored while in Liberal-Arts college because it was 'townie-wear' is now fashionable because of new trendiness in vintage/sustainable/green/back-to-the-land-move to a-farm in Vermont Thing

US realizes the cheap prostitution it succumbed to. US industry, prompted by trend-forecasting mall-brand money revives old mills and machines. Pottery-Barn tchochkes and Gap pants made in Vietnam become embarrassing to own.

US manufacturers learn new marketing and manufaturing methods and develop new labor philosophies. US learns to market products with "your grandaddy" and "they don't make 'em like this anymore"...US learns how to make shit without using ten gallons of oil per ounce of product. US learns how to sell GREEN! US learns to turn 30 years of punishment under EPA regs into and advantage!! They develop websites that work! America is saved by its own history kept alive by the Japanese and revived by a trend-following bunch of bearded Brooklyn hipsters with disposable income.

Genius. Pure genius.

let me tell you this from an old (not necessarily wise) guy:

this is by FAR the best reading i have found since joining sufu! you nailed it down in most every aspect. this should be a sticky, congrats! +repped for sure!

So I got tired of waiting for the Tanner goods promo code and I ordered my belt,lol. 82 bucks is not much considering the quality of the belt. :)

Atta way. good decision. pics upon arrival please :)

inspired me to create a new thread: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=201602

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Thank you for this.

Would rep.

With TG if you buy the wrong size, we'll always, always, always exchange it for free.

yea, i know

i kinda wish i had placed an order for one before the site was re-did because the price was raised a bit...i almost did place an order but didn't and then i can't access the site again until it was updated

no disrespect, i'm sure they're great quality and i know they're highly regarded on the boards, but i think it's a question of value for me...just can't bring myself to drop the cash when i have other things such as a mortgage tying up my funds

yea, i know

i kinda wish i had placed an order for one before the site was re-did because the price was raised a bit...i almost did place an order but didn't and then i can't access the site again until it was updated

no disrespect, i'm sure they're great quality and i know they're highly regarded on the boards, but i think it's a question of value for me...just can't bring myself to drop the cash when i have other things such as a mortgage tying up my funds

10 bucks is gonna affect your mortgage? Woah I know the economy is in the shit but if you can't bend 10 bucks then you shouldn't even be thinking belt IMO

i don't know what wallet that is cheep, but the patina is bossy.

to add my two cents, i love kix and what i've seen from tanner goods. from what i can tell in my belt noobdom, if you get a good saddle leather belt, rub a little protectant(choose one) and rock it consistently it will age just as well as the rope-dyed jeans we all love. if you can get said belt at a good price, get it.

it's amazing how fast the leather tans after a few days of running around in the sun. a weekend at the riva and the brown is really coming in. from the chart tandy gave me i think this belt is 10oz.

dscf5780.jpg

tanner golden natural since the beginning of the year...

+Rep on that wallet and belt. I've had my TG stuff since the beginning of the year too, gotta get around to some evo pics.

Think about this for a minute this all goes back to who makes the best stuff now in a lot of ways and who originated that product, this doesn't hold true to everything but it does to a lot of things.

Car-We made it, Asia-made it better

Motorcycle- We made it, Asia-made it better

Denim-We made it, Asia-made it better

Computers-we made it, Asia-made it better

TV's and Radio's-we made it, Asia-made it better.

Americans didn't originate all of those things though, did they?

TV, Radio, Computers, or the car...

Just ordered a Tanner belt. Should you get so excited about a belt? Probably not, but I am!