Belts

cecil

@saintkeat

I just dug the knife in the top side and then kept on twisting it around....eventually you get a circular shape. Just keep on doing it till it pokes through a tiny bit on the under side of the belt, and then stick the knife through the under side and widen that out till it matches your top side hole. I initially tried using a nail, but the leather was wayyyyyy too tough to nail through.

Next time, you can just go to Tandy and ask to "borrow" a rotary punch to try it out. They're usually pretty cool in those stores. Or you could buy one for about $40.

not paying $82 shipped for a belt

Hey man, Brave Leather belts are going for that much without shipping...And they're not even as nice as Tanner.

its a belt though, not many people drop $75+ on a belt
this is superfuture

you're talking $350 jeans here too.

Hahaha, that was the same thought I had giveme. $75 for a belt that quality is great.

I dunno. I wouldn't pay over $100...That being said, I stand by the idea that you get what you pay for.

to be fair. i can't really see an objective reason from a consumer's standpoint to purchase a belt for 75-100 usd when i could get a belt just as good for 45 usd.

its the same thing, just branding.

if you cant see any objective reason than maybe this isn't the message board for you... jus sayin.

to be fair. i can't really see an objective reason from a consumer's standpoint to purchase a belt for 75-100 usd when i could get a belt just as good for 45 usd.

The $12 belts at TJ Maxx hold your pants up as well. If you find a $45 belt that compares to a Tanner Goods (especially after a year or two of wear), link plz.

i think the both of you are kind of missing the point of what i'm trying to say here. if this is becoming a discussion about validating your previous purchases then that becomes pretty pointless.

everyone here is looking for not just the next big thing, they're looking for the sweet price vs quality point. i'm merely stating that a lot of people here make purchases based solely on the brand. for example, i'm not saying certain belts aren't worth their 100 dollar price tag, i'm saying that if pretty much the exact same thing with the exact same quality and exact same material was used and could be found cheaper, why cling to the more expensive of the 2? if we can admit that we are sometimes suckered into the brand, then i'd be happy to point out that even that oh so sought after brand would likely be a brand the majority population of earth wouldn't recognize. so branding becomes a moot point. no ones going to point at your belt in the middle of the street and go 'OMG is that a tanner goods belt?' (and i'm not taking any personal digs at tanner goods).

if there is so much wrong in what i've just posted then fine i'll leave this thread.

i'm saying that if pretty much the exact same thing with the exact same quality and exact same material was used and could be found cheaper, why cling to the more expensive of the 2?

For starters, neither myself or kix is trying to throw you out of the thread...It's nothing like that.

But let me give you a very recent example. I'm walking around some of the shops near campus today, and I walk past a shoe-tailor's that has a number of belts outside...One of said belts looks similar to the natural 11oz. Tanner belt we're discussing. Upon closer inspection, though, the leather turned out to be a lot rougher, had no second belt-loop or stitching and you could see where someone had spilled some oil or chemical on the back of the hide. The guy was asking $60.

Now, $60 for a machine-made belt of lower quality leather with crap spilled on it? or $75 + shipping for a hand-made, higher quality leather, and nicer accoutrements. I'd say that's not a difficult call, personally. But honestly, if you could find me a belt made of the same quality and material for less...By all means, I'm a student, I'd take it.

...i'm saying that if pretty much the exact same thing with the exact same quality and exact same material was used and could be found cheaper, why cling to the more expensive of the 2?

Yeah, I actually take the stance that you should definitely stay on this thread and bring up this alternative viewpoint. It's a good thing to have these discussions.

But, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this issue. I think that paying more (not anything > like $40-50, but a reasonable amount) is actually worth it. To know that someone made the belt (for example) with their own two hands, and that they are one of maybe ten people who actually handles the item before you get it. Add in the terrible working conditions of the people making the 20 dollar belts, and the choice to me becomes clear. Go with the brand that treats their workers well.

BUT, I totally see and understand the argument you present. If there were ever a belt as good as Tanners, and produced in a way that is similar (that is, with workers who are treated well) then I'd run to the nearest retailer that carries that item.

Yeah, I actually take the stance that you should definitely stay on this thread and bring up this alternative viewpoint. It's a good thing to have these discussions.

But, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this issue. I think that paying more (not anything > like $40-50, but a reasonable amount) is actually worth it. To know that someone made the belt (for example) with their own two hands, and that they are one of maybe ten people who actually handles the item before you get it. Add in the terrible working conditions of the people making the 20 dollar belts, and the choice to me becomes clear. Go with the brand that treats their workers well.

BUT, I totally see and understand the argument you present. If there were ever a belt as good as Tanners, and produced in a way that is similar (that is, with workers who are treated well) then I'd run to the nearest retailer that carries that item.

You're missing his view on it though. You care about the workers who make the belt. Obviously if the workers are paid more, such as at Tanner Goods, then obviously the retail price will be higher. Granted, you must take into account that outsourced goods may be of the same quality as that of Tanner Goods. Then it might be safe to assume that it in all likelihood will be cheaper.

You're missing his view on it though. You care about the workers who make the belt. Obviously if the workers are paid more, such as at Tanner Goods, then obviously the retail price will be higher. Granted, you must take into account that outsourced goods may be of the same quality as that of Tanner Goods. Then it might be safe to assume that it in all likelihood will be cheaper.

Not to sound disrespectful but..........Huh? I didn't really understand that.

Not to sound disrespectful but..........Huh? I didn't really understand that.

S'all good. Um, so you came to the conclusion that if another brand produced it in the same way as TG and it was cheaper then you would buy it. I'm saying that that could not happen just because of differences in the wage differences in the US and Asia(or any other location with cheaper labor). I just think that you care about the process of where it came from and how it was made, not necessarily about the actual resulting product.

S'all good. Um, so you came to the conclusion that if another brand produced it in the same way as TG and it was cheaper then you would buy it. I'm saying that that could not happen just because of differences in the wage differences in the US and Asia(or any other location with cheaper labor). I just think that you care about the process of where it came from and how it was made, not necessarily about the actual resulting product.

Oh, I understand. That makes sense to me. I see what you're saying too, and I would definitely say that is true of me. thanks for the explanation.

i think the both of you are kind of missing the point of what i'm trying to say here. if this is becoming a discussion about validating your previous purchases then that becomes pretty pointless.

everyone here is looking for not just the next big thing, they're looking for the sweet price vs quality point. i'm merely stating that a lot of people here make purchases based solely on the brand. for example, i'm not saying certain belts aren't worth their 100 dollar price tag, i'm saying that if pretty much the exact same thing with the exact same quality and exact same material was used and could be found cheaper, why cling to the more expensive of the 2? if we can admit that we are sometimes suckered into the brand, then i'd be happy to point out that even that oh so sought after brand would likely be a brand the majority population of earth wouldn't recognize. so branding becomes a moot point. no ones going to point at your belt in the middle of the street and go 'OMG is that a tanner goods belt?' (and i'm not taking any personal digs at tanner goods).

if there is so much wrong in what i've just posted then fine i'll leave this thread.

Don't leave! - you're just being asked to defend your position. We all are. I admire anyone who feels strongly about anything.

So - keep wearing those APC with that back pocket stitching (yes, I know them). Then, when you're ready, come join us over at the denim forum and discover what other denim has to offer too. There are the ones who buy because of respected brand name and the ones who discover the brands and pass on the knowledge. Very little here is pure brand hype. That would be uncovered quickly.

A few dollars difference in price-point ceases to mean anything once you delve into some of the nuances of anything worthwhile. Talk to the shoe obsessed here, or the guys who hunt vintage pre-70's pea coats. It's a profound appreciation. GAP and Jcrew ask $50 for a belt made of table scraps. Sometimes a belt ain't just a belt. Something worn that close to the skin takes on meaning.

Edit - as happy Tanner owner - I can say for sure you just discovered and turned me on to something new. I love the hunt. Thanks for the post, mate.

Summary: A company where people get paid $2 a day could make Tanner Goods quality products, then ship them to America and sell them for a lower price.

Oh, shit. Yeah. Can of worms.

Isn't that that one of the reasons we come here? To find that line between the crap and the beautiful? And that place in-between?

See that's the problem with America today(not saying you are American or not.)

Back a few years ago we cared about product quality and what was made here, by another American, by hand and supporting our economy and the things we create. Then the big business mentality hit and we all took manufacturing overseas so we could triple our profits and be the greedy people we have become.

Tanner is supporting the old way of things and that's the way it should be. Support our country by supporting American made products and businesses and stepping up the quality of manufacturing here in the US again which as a country we let fall to pieces 20-30 years ago.

Shit when you see Visvim buying leather from Italy or the US it kind of makes you wonder. We must have and still do something right or when you still see Redwing made in MN. These are brands that never gave up on who they are and what they created.

I am sure Redwing, Tanner, Woolrich and 20 other companies could just have a warehouse and and office in the US and make craploads more money but they would rather support the people that supported them as a company all these years both as employees and customers.

Not everything is the same. You can but a belt that is equivalent to a Tanner belt and when you have a problem with it then you start to learn price is not only reflective of the product but it's also reflective of the customer service and the follow through.

I can tell first hand Tanner has great service and is not just a brand making belts to make belts and feed a market, they are consumers alike and also enthusiasts into what they make and what they wear.

It's like this and this may be a shitty comparison but Buy a Gucci belt and when it starts to break apart go back to Gucci and see wtf they do, now take that Gucci knockoff wallet that I will admit is made of the same leather in some factory and the product quality is equal, now when that bitch falls apart go back to Canal street and let me know what they tell you.

They are the same right?

I can use this comparison on so many different levels. Product is product and IMO Tanner is not overpriced and they are not under priced. If someone wants to work their ass off to make the same thing they do and sell it for less good for them but when they start to have overhead, marketing, housing a facility, employees and the equipment to make this product by hand without taking it overseas and have it mass produced for fractions of the cost then they will start to wonder "man how am I gonna afford all this?"

I have seen companies time and time again try to come into a market solely on price and when you do that you 1)create a commodity product that once wasn't 2)you soon learn that price doesn't dictate all of peoples buying habits and then you think how am I going to gain market share for the consumer that isn't buying my product solely on price point, then you have to create an even better product for a lesser cost too to compete with someone else. So you always are behind the 8 ball so to speak.

BOOM the light bulb comes on and the price goes up...

Old way of American thinking:

1st)Quality

2nd)Form, Style and Function

3rd)price(first and second kind of go hand in hand)

New way of American thinking for most(not trying to create a stereotype):

1st)Price

2nd)Form, Style and Function

3rd)Quality

The Japanese way of thinking from since I can remember till the present day:

1st and 2nd place tie)Form, Style and Function and Quality

3rd)price

Think about this for a minute this all goes back to who makes the best stuff now in a lot of ways and who originated that product, this doesn't hold true to everything but it does to a lot of things.

Car-We made it, Asia-made it better

Motorcycle- We made it, Asia-made it better

Denim-We made it, Asia-made it better

Computers-we made it, Asia-made it better

TV's and Radio's-we made it, Asia-made it better

the list can go on and on.....and you can argue that they make it better because they don't pay shit for labor overseas but that's not better, that's cheaper!!! They make it better because they are way more passionate about creation then we have been in the last 30-40 years or so.