Belts

cecil

i really like both of those belts, but for me it's a question of value:

$185 - Samurai

$154 - Sugar Cane

$75 - Corter

$66 - Tanner

$58.75 - Leather Goods Connection

I've never worked in a tannery, but i think all 3 are in the same range of quality. Maybe you should specify what you're looking for in the belt? durability, style, fading characteristics...?

like rnrswitch said in the post right above yours, LGC is the best bang for your buck. i've only had mine for about 3 months vs his 2 years, but i def agree.

+ custom

+ made in usa

Actually, I have not checked out the Tanner belts or the corter belts, but pricewise they might be the best bang for your buck as well, plus you are still supporting artisans like LGC.

I think the only major difference between the LGC and the typical Japanese leather belts is that the LGC belt does have some type of treatment on the leather when you get it, whereas I think the Sugar Cane belt is untreated, but one is going to end up treating it with oils and such any way.

i don't think there is much difference between the leather quality of the LGC and the SC belts.

For me $150 bucks is just too much for a plain belt. Maybe a shell cordovan belt is worth it, but typical cowhide.

I have an LGC belt and a samurai belt, I have to say the leather of the samurai belt is at least twice as thick and the brass buckle must weigh easily twice as much.

Comparitively, the LGC is flimsy and thin.

Samurai belts aren't for everyone but I love mine and never wear anything else with jeans. Some people complain that it is too thick and wide and uncomfortable to wear.

I have an LGC belt and a samurai belt, I have to say the leather of the samurai belt is at least twice as thick and the brass buckle must weigh easily twice as much.

Samurai belts aren't for everyone but I love mine and never wear anything else with jeans. Some people complain that it is too thick and wide and uncomfortable to wear.

Did you get the bridle leather from LGC? I pulled out the ole calipers here at work and the belt measures spot on at 5mm thick. Your telling me the samurai belt is about 10mm thick? That is some serious leather and I would wonder where on the cow that came from.

For me that is just too thick, but hey, if I was to choose between the two I would go with samurai over sugar cane any day, especially if it is only a $30 difference.

Hold on, I can't remember which LGC i got, it is not 5mm thick though. Perhaps mine is harness leather. Without calipers I'd say the LGC is ~3 or maybe 3.5mm and the samurai is ~6mm. It is a monster, it took a while to get used to wearing such a thick belt. There is also a lot of brass in the buckle.

Yeah, the buckle probably leaves a bit to be desired on the LGC.

I will post pics of the LGC tonight for all yall getting the belt. It looks pretty nice.

^ gorgeous belt there, farmer! corter and tanner both look like great products. i went with LGC for the look of the buckle in the end...

+ vote to see rnrswitch's 2 year LGC. wanna see what i have in store...

...yeah, i don't think you got the bridle leather belt. it's about as heavy as i would ever want a belt to be, and the leather is more than thick enough (5mm sounds about right). buckle is heavy brass too. the first few weeks i wore it, i felt like it was pulling my pants down rather than holding them up, haha.

i haven't handled the samurai belt, but LGC is just as heavy/thick as the sugar cane one, if not more so. and the buckle is definitely heavier than the SC.

thanks for all of the suggestions and help!!!

i checked out the lgc one, and i think i may really be still interested in either the sc or sam belt. i like thick belts with big square buckles. what i like about the sc one is it's tanning process - i've seen some evo pics that look pretty nice. i put up the sam belt because i was curious if anyone had handled the belt and would recommend it over the sc one. so now, i think i may just stare at the two and flip a coin. lol.

farmer: your belt is sweet.

Here is the LGC. Leather looks thicker than the tanner belt up above, but I can't tell for sure. The LGC one will not fold over like how the tanner one is in the pic.

lgcbelt2.jpg

lgcbelt.jpg

lgcbelt3.jpg

Just remember to get the bridle leather. I have always wanted to get one of the Ranger belts in bridle, but I for some reason always find something else I would rather blow $100 on.

What width is your belt?

It measures out to be about 1 1/4"

rnrswitch - holy shit man! that belt is the dopeness.

givemefive - i'm almost positive that's the 1.5" width belt. the buckles are a bit different on the 1.25" wide belt.

turntabloid - that IH belt is looking great!

(i think this is my favorite thread on sufu)

that LGC looks fucking fantastic. I love the look of that buckle too.

The IH belt is wonderful as well. They make some amazing products. One of the TG guys, Mark has been obsessing over their jackets lately...

Just wait til you guys see and feel our Premium Golden Natural Standard belt... shit started at like 12-13 oz weight. We've stripped the hides down a bit to get a more sensible size and handle. The color is hard to capture on my phone but we'll have some better pics coming out real soon.

The edges in this pic haven't been waxed and treated...

2qu6793.jpg

rnrswitch - holy shit man! that belt is the dopeness.

givemefive - i'm almost positive that's the 1.5" width belt. the buckles are a bit different on the 1.25" wide belt.

turntabloid - that IH belt is looking great!

(i think this is my favorite thread on sufu)

Yeah, I think it is 1.5 inch.

I just ordered from LGC bridle leather natural tan with garrison buckle. But its getting made by BIll, one of his helpers from MN at LGC North. You guys get it from him too?

You shouldn’t notice a difference. Henry and Bill use the same materials and system. I have similar belts in the same size, made by each craftsman, and they look the same. One of my belts is 1 mm thicker, but leather is a natural substance. If I were really picky, the one by Bill was a little bit nicer in fit and finish. Really: same company, same belt.