Belts

cecil

So I'm thinking about buy either an ALD belt or a Corter belt. I'm leaning towards Corter since it's like, half the price of an ALD belt, but his blog says he won't be taking orders till' late Feb. *heavy sigh*

i make custom leather belts with very heavy, very fine, undyed leather. ltet me know what ou are looking for, i can help you

does anyone here own an ACE belt?

they look really nice and some of them are as far as i understand repros of mongomery ward (wardsbest) belts from the 30s. ( brando wears one in streetcar)

here is the speedway link

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/speedway-shop/c/0000000216/

and here the myspace link of ace belts

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=1000774369

what do you guys think?

does anyone here own an ACE belt?

they look really nice and some of them are as far as i understand repros of mongomery ward (wardsbest) belts from the 30s. ( brando wears one in streetcar)

here is the speedway link

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/speedway-shop/c/0000000216/

and here the myspace link of ace belts

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=1000774369

what do you guys think?

Those are awesome belts. Really amazing. He's on eBay also.

just wondering, why are corter belts are so much cheaper than ALD belts, sugarcane and co, etc.??? its seems to me that i could save a bunch of money and get close to the same quality??? correct me if im wrong ,

thanks

Lots of nice belts!

I love the Filson belts, they are 50 bucks and the highest quality full grain bridle leather. If you want a "new" belt you can't beat it. Yeah they come with brass roller buckles, but brass tarnishes quickly and looks great if you ask me. And the belts snap open anyway, so you can put any buckle on them you like.

BUT really, I think old beat up belts look the best with denim, and Hollywood Trading Company has some of the best. Mr. Freedom has some sick ones at his store too . . .

i own three Iron Heart belts (Tan, Brown and Black).

the brown and black one let off a lot of color, so i basically cannot wear any light colored pants with them.

you can eve see the stains on my dark jeans.

does anybody have the same experiences?

can somebody suggest sth to solve the problem?

i own three Iron Heart belts (Tan, Brown and Black).

the brown and black one let off a lot of color, so i basically cannot wear any light colored pants with them.

you can eve see the stains on my dark jeans.

does anybody have the same experiences?

can somebody suggest sth to solve the problem?

i picked up an old police belt "basketweave" black one that leaves a healthy blackness on my waist every time I wear it.

Not sure how to fix it though...

just wondering, why are corter belts are so much cheaper than ALD belts, sugarcane and co, etc.??? its seems to me that i could save a bunch of money and get close to the same quality??? correct me if im wrong ,

thanks

I'm not sure if Corter is cutting his belt straps or if he is buying them pre-cut from some where. The quality of the belts may be different as well. I personally wouldn't buy a belt from one of the guys on here because I don't like the way they look.

With that being said, I bought two Sugar Cane garrison belts from Vari for about $150. That's cheaper than what US stores will charge you.

in my opinion, belts are the most marked up insanely priced item you can own...

$150 for a strap of leather? That's just crazy. What work really goes into it? It's not like you're making a pair of shoes? It's the same with wallet too...

I think they're way over priced for what you get. If it were a rare hide, I'd see that, but a piece of cow hide?

Anything over 20 buck is too much in my opinion....

I'm not sure if Corter is cutting his belt straps or if he is buying them pre-cut from some where. The quality of the belts may be different as well. I personally wouldn't buy a belt from one of the guys on here because I don't like the way they look.

With that being said, I bought two Sugar Cane garrison belts from Vari for about $150. That's cheaper than what US stores will charge you.

thanks for the advice! hrmmm maybe ill just stick with my cheap Guess belt until it breaks..

A fine quality belt makes the biggest difference to how I feel in my clothes.

Shitty belts feel and look disgusting, but you wear whatever you want. I bought a latigo US made belt five years ago and have worn it every day until currently where it has stretched out too much to wear any longer. No other garment I own is worth that kind of wear except maybe a pair of fantastic, timeless/ageless boots.

You do what you want, but a belt that costs between $50-150--with the high end of that being strongly slanted towards fashionable design/accoutrement--with a quality that reflects its price is one of the most worthwhile buys as a man you can make.

A fine quality belt makes the biggest difference to how I feel in my clothes.

Shitty belts feel and look disgusting, but you wear whatever you want. I bought a latigo US made belt five years ago and have worn it every day until currently where it has stretched out too much to wear any longer. No other garment I own is worth that kind of wear except maybe a pair of fantastic, timeless/ageless boots.

You do what you want, but a belt that costs between $50-150--with the high end of that being strongly slanted towards fashionable design/accoutrement--with a quality that reflects its price is one of the most worthwhile buys as a man you can make.

Well said!

I think they're way over priced for what you get. If it were a rare hide, I'd see that, but a piece of cow hide?

Anything over 20 buck is too much in my opinion....

thanks for the advice! hrmmm maybe ill just stick with my cheap Guess belt until it breaks..

It's true, I think a LOT of belts are overpriced. But after using a Sugarcane belt and comparing it to old belts I've had...it's a whole other world. Quality is muuuuuucccccchhhhhhhhhh higher. It'll last wayyyy longer, and just looks better (that part's a matter of opinion, obviously).

That being said, are $210 FH (from SE), $300+ Somet, $200+ Sam (both BiG) belts worth 20-25x as much as a $20 cheapo belt? I'd say probably not. I'd agree that price increases faster than quality, but the quality increase you get when you move away from fashion/mall brand belts is wayyyyy higher...even towards a $40 Redwing belt.

I understand you get what you pay for...

I don't even consider a mall belt a belt... nor would I ever buy one.

I'm talking just a top grain strap belt. maybe 20 was a tad low... But 40 would be my tops....

I was actually checking out blank belts and you can buy one to dye and rivit for like 9-15 dollars!

I might be making some belts and selling them for 100....

Some of the really thick belts that are being produced are 16oz. or higher leather, which equates to their 1/4"+ thickness. You cannot get this leather easily, and even if you can, it is VERY expensive and difficult to get the kind of flexibility they get out of it. Normally when you see a belt that is a little thick, it is more than one layer glued together. Not even the same realm.

Belt blanks are about 8oz leather or so, which is pretty nice weight but nowhere near the quality of hide as the higher priced belts.

Cheap belt blanks are stiff and feel like a stack of paper. They are for tooling, but you really have to treat and finish the shit out of them to get a decent product in the end.

A really solid belt is an investment that can last you a really long time, ten years anyway. Not many people appreciate things like that anymore.

Where can I find this Vari? D:

It's true, I think a LOT of belts are overpriced. But after using a Sugarcane belt and comparing it to old belts I've had...it's a whole other world. Quality is muuuuuucccccchhhhhhhhhh higher. It'll last wayyyy longer, and just looks better (that part's a matter of opinion, obviously).

That being said, are $210 FH (from SE), $300+ Somet, $200+ Sam (both BiG) belts worth 20-25x as much as a $20 cheapo belt? I'd say probably not. I'd agree that price increases faster than quality, but the quality increase you get when you move away from fashion/mall brand belts is wayyyyy higher...even towards a $40 Redwing belt.

i agree that they look a lot nicer. its just that 100+ bucks for a belt, is kinda hard to dish out. if i get one though, it will be a sugarcane one. anyone know/have experience with the tan SC belt?? does indigo rub off and stain it?? thanks