Belts

cecil

Just got this brown cowhide quick-release belt made for me by 'unlucky'... he makes custom belts/wallets/chains etc.. from different leathers, quite reasonable.

qrbeltpe7.jpg

Right now he's got stock of some quick release buckles so I snatched one up! pm if you want info

I have to agree, I'm one of those nickle intolerant people...

I discovered it when I had a pair of glasses and the paint started coming off the hinges, so the nickle touched my skin...

titanium glasses only from now on...

The metal that causes allergy is predominantly nickel. It may be in other alloys in small quantities and have an effect. If you have a rash or dermatitis from wearing metal spectacle frames, belt buckles, carrying coins in pockets, watch straps, then you may have an allergy. Nickel is found in trace amounts in all sorts of alloys.

sorry about the ignorance, but how do you guys overcome this stupid allergy?

I've just had an ongoing rash where my belt is for the past like 10 years, haha.

Are there like some places that sell nickel free buckles? (with nice leather?)

My samurai belt has a brass buckle, but i don't know if there is any nickel in it. Brass should be an alloy of copper and zinc, but there is such a thing as nickel brass. Pure silver buckles should be nickel free if they are hallmarked I suppose.

You can make sure it doesn't touch your skin, maybe wear an undershirt tucked in.

My samurai belt has a brass buckle, but i don't know if there is any nickel in it. Brass should be an alloy of copper and zinc, but there is such a thing as nickel brass. Pure silver buckles should be nickel free if they are hallmarked I suppose.

You can make sure it doesn't touch your skin, maybe wear an undershirt tucked in.

my skin is pretty sensitive..

I could carry around keys in my pocket and I'd get a rash though my pocket liner. (granted, it's kind of a thin one)

• 2 weeks later...
sorry about the ignorance, but how do you guys overcome this stupid allergy?

I've just had an ongoing rash where my belt is for the past like 10 years, haha.

Are there like some places that sell nickel free buckles? (with nice leather?)

I never had the problem with beltbuckles but I tend to go with pewter or silver buckles

edit, I promised to post pics of my actual RM belt, that was like in april though and I totally forgot about this thread after that, so here it goes, RM belt after aprox. six months of wear, I have it for about seven months, but it's been on a trip to japan for about a month, for the attachment of the silver RM buckle...

with flash:

10e50n7.jpg

2d29b49.jpg

no flash:

wsqq21.jpg

pics closer to the 'true color'

5a454x.jpg

4iiflc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got one of those LGC belts ~ 10 months ago and it has stretched considerably. I've only worn it with my jeans, which are a night/weekend affair for me, and I have had to cinch up two holes in the belt (no change in weight). I would actually buy a little shorter than what they instruct you. I don't know if it will keep on stretching or if it just stretches to a point.

On the other hand, the thing is holding up really well and darkening nicely with age, so I can't complain about that.

I got one of those LGC belts ~ 10 months ago and it has stretched considerably. I've only worn it with my jeans, which are a night/weekend affair for me, and I have had to cinch up two holes in the belt (no change in weight). I would actually buy a little shorter than what they instruct you. I don't know if it will keep on stretching or if it just stretches to a point.

On the other hand, the thing is holding up really well and darkening nicely with age, so I can't complain about that.

I've owned mine for over 2 years and have had a very minimal stretch. Not enough for me to change holes. I also have worn it almost every day since I bought it. The only problem that I had was that the one of the two bolts near the buckle fell off. It still holds together just fine though and isn't noticeable.