Belts

cecil

… and one of my own finally finished. This is the heaviest leather I’ve put studs/spots in - a Wickett & Craig bridle at 9-11oz, although the cut I made is nearer the 11oz so a bit over 4mm thick. The design is an adaptation of an ACE Western design which is probably an adaptation of some original 30s design so I’ve used steel spots and buckle for authenticity.. Anyway, I’ve wanted to use this design for a while so I’m really happy with how it has worked out.

The leather isn’t struck through so normally you’d see the natural leather on the edges, but I’ve painted those to reflect the original specifications. With wear and as the belt bends and folds this paint will crack and wear away.

AE75C726-FC8C-44D8-90BB-E7B095A4E88C.jpeg

9E7A83AE-3657-455B-9E36-442A727D7E82.jpeg

edit: and delighted this one made it to the top of page 100

Edited by Duke Mantee

1 hour ago, Flash said:

May be one of my favourites mate 

I’ll probably make myself an overlay belt next, but I wanted one that was authentic feeling for the period - I think it has the right feel and so it’s a favourite for me too. It’s not a design many others will pick up on either.

16 minutes ago, indigoeagle said:

Cool belt- where did you get the buckle from?

Thank you

Codina - a complete arse of a man, worst customer service I’ve ever experienced bar none … good buckles though, quality is on par with ACE Western

Edited by Duke Mantee

A belt for @dudsbydel on IG. This is a Sedgwick strap around 9-10oz (3.6-4mm) cut from the bridle butt, with a solid brass sand cast buckle and matching brass saddlers rivets. I’ve burnished the edges with black Tokonole and beeswax so it’s given a bit of colour to the raw edge, although this will break down with wear and expose the natural colour.

D4C6B7CF-34E9-45F2-9934-31EE339F7B68.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

A belt for a friend on IG … although the original of this pattern was invented for the Duchess, it was John B that weaponised it and it’s now called the Brooklyn. Anyways, a chestnut Walpier Buttero Rocky veg tan strap about 9-10oz (lovely stuff that folk shun because it isn’t all super-grainy and isn’t ‘teacore’ … FFS don’t start me on that, you’re straight into John Mayer territory) with copper turquoise gemstones and all brass hardware - the buckle coming from the same place used by Peng at Flame Panda boots since the customer said he liked them.

94FC81B0-A9FF-4DA4-8380-0ABF86FE5724.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

… and another belt for the same fella as the last one - this time a simple black bridle leather strap as per the @dudsbydel belt 2 up but this time with another (similar) buckle from the Flame Panda source and the leather weighing in at an even heftier 4.2mm or almost 11oz. Again the raw edges have been given a polish with black Tokonole which never really gets the edge a deep black but rather a lovely brownish tone comes through because of the natural leather colour then a further coat of beeswax just to seal it a bit more. All this will break down over the years with wear and you’ll end up with one of those belts you’ve seen in the old timey pics - that lovely patina with what looks like brown coming through black.

E12EA88C-4491-4CEB-A4BA-88DDB881B0E9.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

9 minutes ago, Suitedupmon said:

Thanks, Duke. I'm glad we settled on a historical and unique pattern together. Excited to possibly get a fit pic next to the trunk next time I'm at work. Cheers!

Thank YOU my friend - it was a great challenge to build the idea you had. I always appreciate it when ideas are so unique and exciting.

Straightforward (well 7 holes at ¾” spacing instead of the usual 5 holes 1”) belt in 9oz Walpier Buttero Rocky - lovely satchel tan colour. Japanese brass buckle, a nice hand cut english point end, edged and burnished with Tokonole and beeswax, a few coats of conditioner … and bob’s yer uncle

56E801C7-BC30-4E88-836E-B52AAA96DE13.jpeg

A belt for @mister_stantastic on IG. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a paisley pattern studded belt … until now 

A 9oz Walpier Buttero Rocky strap adorned with steel spots and cobra overlays in navy and wine, finished with a nickel plated Japanese brass buckle and vintage Japanese coin:

F4BDDDC5-05CF-4BC6-BBEA-F5DEF1D8EA1C.jpeg

78EC718D-2073-413D-8A8C-3B09D4FF46FE.jpeg