Belts

cecil

Can't compete with @Duke Mantee, but still...
Made two belts today, natural buffalo on the first 3, last pic of it is post-oiling. Finished up this order for a friend after some time.
Last picture is my new "fancy" belt, for wearing with suits and the likes.

signal-2022-03-23-14-55-31-901.jpg

IMG_20220323_150936.jpg

IMG_20220323_163124.jpg

IMG-20220323-WA0004.jpeg

Edited by Thanks_M8

• 4 weeks later...

Two recently obtained belts, the russet from the famed Equus Leather, the black from @Duke Mantee. Both belts are made from the excellent J & F.J. Baker and Co leather. Worn with about the same frequency. Both belts are carefully and neatly made and the material is superb. Wear and feel about the same, although the Equus belt seemed slightly softer initially. Having said all that, the Equus belt is a little uncomfortable and can be felt on the body, whereas the other belt just "disappears" when worn - it fits perfectly and is not felt at all. In a shoot-out between the two belts, the belt from @Duke Mantee wins by a small but clear margin.

IMG_4628.jpg

Edited by Talan

A couple here for @ALB who had bought some skinny belts and asked me to change the leather but keep the buckles:

So, a ¾” wide, 8oz Sedgwick veg tan bridle leather strap with a hand finish
7BB8AE3E-80EE-4E01-81E2-B0CD1C0ABDB2.thumb.png.52e3e2feaf1e2a80a69aa75367f6a545.png

And a 25mm, 8oz Walpier Buttero veg tan bullhide leather strap which is struck through: 

4D3F50BE-4760-4BE4-BFF3-84D50066E60F.thumb.png.39358e19c5e6dfcf18548ea3028d3e98.png

I have replicated how the buckles were attached on the original belts, so you have two different styles of stitching and keepers, both belts being edged and burnished with Tokonole and beeswax then the faces given a couple of coats of conditioner.

Edited by Duke Mantee

Another belt for @srudy

More of the J&FJ Baker leather - this being their harness leather natural finish (similar to the @talan belt mini-review although Equus call it russet, probably for sales purposes)

This one is weighing in at the full 6mm thickness, and for once I’ve not applied any treatment other than the Tokonole/Beeswax edge finish - anything I put on it will darken it, handling it darkens it, fuck - just looking at it I swear I could see it darken.

So hopefully you’ll get to see updates of the thing developing, getting indigo stains and ultimately ending up nearly black …

03CDC873-0E71-4261-8F64-468B90CA0F17.jpeg

… and yet another for @srudy

This a hybrid style using the roughout of a Wickett & Craig harness leather around 4mm thickness. The base belt is derived from the Sam Browne military belts but there’s also a little bit of stud work too … I think it works well 

IMG_8702.JPG

My mouth salivates when I see these @Duke Mantee - I can only wear one belt at a time and now with my collection of your belts I need more waists! Always beautiful, always so well done. Can’t wait to see these in person!

1 minute ago, srudy said:

My mouth salivates when I see these @Duke Mantee - I can only wear one belt at a time and now with my collection of your belts I need more waists! Always beautiful, always so well done. Can’t wait to see these in person!

You have some great ideas - love turning them into real life

An original design for Patina pals on IG based on the Māori Hei Matau - a stylised fishhook. It represents strength, prosperity, fertility, good luck and safe travel over water. It’s one of my favourite designs because although it’s based on a particular culture, the feel is very (cowboy) western.

The belt is built from Wickett & Craig bridle leather about 9-10oz, and has a Japanese sand cast brass buckle and vintage Japanese coin and some vintage 50s German glass jewels.

5DEEBC35-8A1F-4003-973C-296C83564247.jpeg

P1016879_DxO.jpg