Belts

cecil

@Broark did you ever settle on a garrison belt? I’m also in the market for one after I lost weight and had to sell my old strike gold belt. I’ve been eying this one from pigeon tree crafting 

https://www.pigeontreecrafting.com/collections/belts-1/products/35mm-natural-horween-chromexcel-japanese-garrison-belt

ive also looked into hollows. 

• 2 weeks later...

My good mate @Duke Mantee made me this beautiful belt and I thought I'd share some pics , wish I took the pics fresh from the box but I was too excited to get wearing it 

Solid brass hardware and a beautifully soft black leather 

20210824_16350020210824_163441

While the leather is soft it definitely feels tough , has a really nice texture 

20210824_162657

Everything is super cleanly cut especially the holes 

20210824_163356

Thanks mate 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Thanks mate 

More than welcome buddy - I’m just practicing as you know. TBH those edges could do with another burnishing, they’ve been done 3 times and although that’s a 9/10oz leather it is a semi-soft temper so edges don’t stay as slicked as stiffer leathers.

On 8/11/2021 at 8:34 PM, JohnnyUtah247 said:

@Broark did you ever settle on a garrison belt? I’m also in the market for one after I lost weight and had to sell my old strike gold belt. I’ve been eying this one from pigeon tree crafting 

https://www.pigeontreecrafting.com/collections/belts-1/products/35mm-natural-horween-chromexcel-japanese-garrison-belt

ive also looked into hollows. 

I have the garrison belt in brown Tärnsjö from PTC.  Can only say good things about it. Can only say good things about the guy behind the brand as well. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 8:15 PM, dada mafiosi said:

Tanner Goods, 

Natural, Classic Belt, Brushed Steel Buckle , Size 34

Size 34 means, from the end where leather is folded around the buckle to the first hole 34" + 4" (space between first to fifth hole) + 4.5" (from the last hole to end tip) , making overall 42.5" in new state.

After use the expected stretch is 1 to 1.25", so the belt will become 43.5" to 43.75" overall, so I will be able to put pin into center hole. (perfect sizing)

Wearing with my Warehouse 800NW (jeans usage 1.5 months) 

IMG-6327.JPG

IMG-6330.JPG

Tanner Goods, Classic Belt, size 34, Natural Stainless Steel, after 20 months approximately. 

Wearing with my FC1108 jeans (3 years old) and Timberland Yellow Boots

IMG_0085a.jpg

IMG_0086a.jpg

Edited by dada mafiosi

16 hours ago, Mtvare said:

Can anyone tell me please: if I'm a 34 in TCB jeans what size should I take in the Sugar Cane Garrison belt?

Jean size is irrelevant - measure a belt you own from the fold at the buckle end to the hole you normally use to fasten. Then match that to the measurements of the Garrison Belt from the fold to the middle hole

Thanks @Duke Mantee. The reason I asked in relation to jean size was that I didn't have any measurements for the belt that I could be confident about. Hinoya have some here - https://hinoya.shop/en/products/sc02320 - but not the measurement you describe. Self Edge give that measurement - https://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane?product_id=1372 - but to me it doesn't look consistent with their recommendation to size up (take 36 belt if you're 34 waist), which I've seen in a couple of other places as well.

Have you measured any of your own belts or are you saying you don’t have a belt?

I agree it can be very confusing about how some shops give advice - often there’s no real logic … hence why I prefer to default to actual measured dimensions 

The problem with trying to measure a belt size to jeans size is that firstly they must be different because the belt goes over the jeans and secondly jeans (not new) have probably stretched so may not measure consistently.

Of course the get out of jail free card is that advising to size up means the belt is almost guaranteed to fit even if is a bit too long

Edited by Duke Mantee

1 hour ago, Mtvare said:

Based on the measurements of the belt I have, I'd like the middle hole to be at 34". But I can't be confident from the information I've seen whether this would indicate getting a 34 or a 36. 

It's not an exact science since there are so many preferences in play here which is why there is a recommendation and also the actual measurements. I almost always just get the size up in my belts and it works for me even if i gain weight. I was true 30 waist and all my belts are size 32 and even now when i'm a 32, the same belt works just on a different hole. if you need the middle hole to be 34", then the size 34 should work. 

3 hours ago, Mtvare said:

Based on the measurements of the belt I have, I'd like the middle hole to be at 34". But I can't be confident from the information I've seen whether this would indicate getting a 34 or a 36. 

Hinoya are telling you the range of fit for the size 34 (first hole to last hole) is approximately 32” to 36” ~ holes are normally about an inch apart

Selfedge are telling you for the size 34 the measurement from the fold to the middle hole is 34”

Both shops are telling you in different ways a W34 has a 34” middle hole measurement

Just to confuse you some more, most of my brands are a size 34 and I have the SC belt in size 36. That said, nowadays I wear the belt in the smallest hole or second smallest holw (leather stretches a bit) and I lost some weight.

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

A rule of thumb - is helpful and lazy in equal measure. It might work for one and less so another, it might be ok for one brand and wrong for a competitor. A 34 belt may already have been compensated to allow extra length so might actually measure more but be tagged less. Jeans might be tagged a particular size but not actually measure to the number printed on the label.

A precise measurement is pretty much absolute.

If you genuinely measure 34 around your waist (with your jeans on) then the 34 will fit … in the middle hole. If you are bigger then the 34 might fit in the next hole it even the hole after that - that’s a 2 inch differential. If you need more ‘slack’ it’s likely the 36 will fit on the first or second hole and still leave room for expansion.

The whole conversation becomes a nonsense because there are multiple undefined methods being suggested … and frankly, sizing a belt isn’t complicated. It really is the actual measurement from the belt fold at the buckle to the hole you want to fasten to - which by convention is the middle to allow adjustments up or down in size. That’s why taking a measurement from an older belt is the best solution.

Edited by Duke Mantee

Actual waist measurements are a complicated business in themselves I think. My actual waist measurement at the narrowest point (which is your official 'waist' measurement I believe) is 34". That's where my TCB 40s ought to sit. But my waist an inch and a half lower down is 35" - that's where my IH 634s ought to sit.

That's why I find it useful to know what others are doing who are wearing the same jeans as me - you can bypass that kind of complication. Knowing that someone is consistently a size 34 in a brand that you own (assuming that brand's sizing is reasonably consistent) is more useful than knowing their (supposed) waist measurement. If it works for them it'll probably work for me, even if the way everything fits together is slightly different on them than on me.

That's not exactly to repudiate anything that you've suggested @Duke Mantee, just to explain how I find that 'rules of thumb' can actually be more reliable than measurements sometimes (not more reliable than measuring the actual pieces, granted).

Thanks for your help. (I wasn't aware of the sizing convention for belts.)

2 hours ago, Mtvare said:

Actual waist measurements are a complicated business in themselves I think. My actual waist measurement at the narrowest point (which is your official 'waist' measurement I believe) is 34". That's where my TCB 40s ought to sit. But my waist an inch and a half lower down is 35" - that's where my IH 634s ought to sit.

That's why I find it useful to know what others are doing who are wearing the same jeans as me - you can bypass that kind of complication. Knowing that someone is consistently a size 34 in a brand that you own (assuming that brand's sizing is reasonably consistent) is more useful than knowing their (supposed) waist measurement. If it works for them it'll probably work for me, even if the way everything fits together is slightly different on them than on me.

That's not exactly to repudiate anything that you've suggested @Duke Mantee, just to explain how I find that 'rules of thumb' can actually be more reliable than measurements sometimes (not more reliable than measuring the actual pieces, granted).

Thanks for your help. (I wasn't aware of the sizing convention for belts.)

I just prefer to know an actual measurement - except for the broadest guidelines, it matter nothing to me what someone else wears and considers to fit given everybody and every body is unique (as you yourself suggested), and every different pair of jeans will be a different fit on those bodies. I take a 33 in FW jeans - it’s hard to find a 35 belt, but I do have belts that range from 32~38 that all fit because the tag size didn’t represent the actual measurement.

But the other guys have said they just size up on their jeans sizes, and if that suits you then go for it - absolutely! We’re not in opposition, merely discussing the method that gives comfort, especially when it’s buying something that’s not easy to return.

So are you going to buy a belt that fits your TCBs or your IHs? :laugh2:

Edited by Duke Mantee

Here’s why I’ve posted a couple of Hollywood stars wearing novelty/studded/jewelled belts … I’ve been busy

5CE31B18-8401-4200-BA29-650AB2CB073F.jpeg

SAMEHADA

9oz J&E Sedgwick Bridle Leather

Shagreen (genuine stingray skin) inlays

Standard Rivet vintage nickel spots in 3mm and 4.5mm sizes

Standard Rivet vintage nickel jewel rings in 9mm and 11mm sizes

Antique glass (1950s) jewels ~ 9mm in Sapphire and Montana Blue, 11mm in Vintage Rose

Japanese nickel plated solid brass buckle

Japanese vintage coin (Asahi 10 Sen, c1907~1917) 80% silver, 20% copper

Edited by Duke Mantee