Belts

cecil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any garrison belt recommendations? So far I'm thinking either Warehouse or Hollows.
I love my Tender belt but the bottom of the buckle digs into the fly of my jeans, so looking for something more traditional.
The Hollows isn't really a garrison buckle IMO (buckle isn't quite rectangular enough) but it's close and the rough out CXL is a nice option for something a little different.
65716195_o2.jpg?cmsp_timestamp=201608101
P40102222813.jpg?format=1500w

IH do a garrison. I’ve had a couple of their belts for years and they are robust. My garrison is screwed in so you can alter length and change the buckle which can be useful. I’ve just swapped belt buckles over for the first time and it’s like having new belts.

I have narrow garrison belts from Hollows and Tightly Stitched (@engine) and I like them both lots, but both buckles do have the slight curve to them that you might be trying to avoid

Good tip on the Tightly Stitched / engine recommendation, don’t mind the curve in the buckle at all. The one freeco posted above looks great. 
The thing with my Tender belt is that it has an edge at the bottom that leaves a very distinct fade / indent in my jeans. It’s a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things.

D3B263CD-75A5-4C4C-9DC1-26004CAA68A9.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Broark said:

Good tip on the Tightly Stitched / engine recommendation, don’t mind the curve in the buckle at all. The one freeco posted above looks great. 
The thing with my Tender belt is that it has an edge at the bottom that leaves a very distinct fade / indent in my jeans. It’s a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things.

D3B263CD-75A5-4C4C-9DC1-26004CAA68A9.jpeg

Highly recommend @engine - his belts are top notch

You guys familiar with Duke’s Finest Artisans? They have some really cool belt designs; hand made, hand carved, hand painted, some plain, some fancy, some very 60s.They also make bags and accessories. https://www.dukes-artisan.com

6 hours ago, lance said:

You guys familiar with Duke’s Finest Artisans? They have some really cool belt designs; hand made, hand carved, hand painted, some plain, some fancy, some very 60s.They also make bags and accessories. https://www.dukes-artisan.com

Yep :wink:

BE3F09EE-8A92-4307-8A2D-0E3932C5E70A.jpeg

@Broark, have to concur with @Double 0 Soul on the Sugarcane; that's a good basic belt, you can feel secure in the knowledge that you're straight fire without drawing undue attention to the fact. UES do a good one at a similar price, but the buckle is rather square and the leather is thicc – feels nearly twice as much as the SC! You could also thread the Tender the opposite way round (so the buckle is upside down), but that is challenging and deprives you of the excuse to buy another belt.

• 2 months later...

I bought one of these (with some matching Chicago screws)

CFB8EA7A-C163-49C5-BDCF-40D020528B10.jpeg.b489ac9be2674781ee4c0f944799d080.jpeg

And some of this

10108CEA-C4EB-4547-8F24-ABE967001451.thumb.jpeg.2dff1ab6ed68f2e400904bb64525ca83.jpeg

A64B33C4-04C8-45FE-BF71-5C67C7A05251.thumb.jpeg.bb83f9992a5b971deee9eaf1f47fd037.jpeg

Just to try my hand.

Plus I usually wear Tender belts but I find they can be a little too thick for more formal style trousers, and I’d bought a thinner Warehouse belt to give me an alternative but it’s shit (probably just because it’s like tissue paper beside the Tender), so this will be something in between … if it turns out ok

5 minutes ago, Thanks_M8 said:

Really nice buckles! Good luck and have fun mate! ;)

Found them on Etsy, the guy forges from brass, stainless steel and titanium. Hopefully they’ll be as nice in the hand as they are in the pics. But fun is the intention buddy - and thank you for the advice and pointers early on

Edited by Duke Mantee

• 4 weeks later...

And here’s the finished article. I cut the tail the same as my Tender belts, I prefer that look. Not enough finesse to be saleable but more than good enough to hold my breeks up. It’s the first leather thing I’ve made and I’m fairly happy how it turned out.

Walpier Buttero Rocky leather (about 3.6~3.8mm) with a forged brass buckle and hardware

my first belt.jpg

Just now, Thanks_M8 said:

^Lookin great, Duke! Keep it up ;)
Did you bevell the edges or keep 'em straight? Burnished edges as well?

Thanks mate - I used a No. 2 edge bevelling tool which is apparently too small for this thickness, but I really don’t want the edges rounded too much - just ‘softened’. And yep, burnished with water, then tokonole.