Belts

cecil

I was hoping someone could help me out...I was checking out the Samurai A104 and it seems really thick, but says it is only 5-8mm. Corter, for example, says like 12mm in thickness. Anyone have experience with both of these belts? I'd looking for a very nice thick natural belt. Thanks!

lol, 12mm thick - you sure? That's just under 1/2 inch, pretty thick for a belt!

The utility belt on his site says 12-14 oz...sorry...I was reading it on my phone! Ok...so, 12-14oz is like 5 mm....guess they are about the same. I feel dumb :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Got some question regarding difference in leather.

I'm in the hunt for my first nicer belt. The natural tanned belts, like tanner goods, look so amazing with some wear. However, I've been eyeing the Quercus from Terry too, and I understand he's using English bridle. I've been reading a bunch on the process as for the leather, but not much as for the aging.

Should the Quercus age, color wise, similarly to the natural tanner goods, and other American belts? Judging from pictures, the tanner seem to turn a lot darker with use than the Quercus.

Got some question regarding difference in leather.

I'm in the hunt for my first nicer belt. The natural tanned belts, like tanner goods, look so amazing with some wear. However, I've been eyeing the Quercus from Terry too, and I understand he's using English bridle. I've been reading a bunch on the process as for the leather, but not much as for the aging.

Should the Quercus age, color wise, similarly to the natural tanner goods, and other American belts? Judging from pictures, the tanner seem to turn a lot darker with use than the Quercus.

Surely someone must have some knowledge about this! Please share! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I sent ahead and bought a natural Quercus from Terry, and I'm so glad I did. Needless to say I was stunned when I opened the package. It's just great in every aspect. I imagine it will age nicely, and I will definetly get up some comparison pictures towards the summer :).

I can't speak highly enough about Terry. His work is great. He had some backlog to work through (2-3 weeks) before he could craft my belt, but I'm just happy about this as it gave me time to figure out some details. Regarding the details: I got the notion he could offer pretty much any customization one could imagine. All in all, just a great experience.

• 3 months later...

Partial x-post from the Show Us Your Leather thread:

DBFD75C4-B871-4A09-B470-EA99AA624EE6.jpg

53B96F44-0A82-4078-ADE8-3833C0FE63C8.jpg

2D1C2833-688E-486D-8209-7A1D89A4B91A.jpg

95BEB39F-2F2B-4C9D-8EB6-F6B2C2D3520C.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After browsing this thread for a while I ordered one of those fabled Kicking Mule belts in black - I think $95 is an alright price right now. Was a bit surprised that there are any left at all, the company seems to have folded quite a while ago and they've been marked down from $360 or something for what, almost a year now? Will be my first "premium" belt, really curious about it.

Also, I know that this belt here is by RRL but not in the current lineup:

036ab8a2328411e3a23c22000a1f9d66_7.jpg

Does anyone know where I could get a ranger style belt with a taper like that? LGC does tapered ranger belts but not like that one.

• 5 months later...

Got my first belt from Terry Dear Leathercraft today, a Quercus in natural (naturally). Awesome belt and not my last from Terry, he was a pleasure to work this belt out with despite all my questions and extra wishes.

Zffs57Gl.jpg

8oBPiDml.jpg

ErF39BWl.jpg

p2rnEMVl.jpg

The only thing that could be better would be the buckle. I think a hefty belt like this deserves a bigger, clunkier buckle, and a wider buckle would have been easier to thread this thick belt through - if Terry stepped up his buckle game it would be 100% perfect.

Thanks S-Town.

The new one is just one I borrowed from meadowweb.

My waist is roughly 34 inches. 

The belt has stretched one hole. I used to use the middle hole. But I now have to use the second tightest one.

If it is any help I got the
IH-666S in 33

IH-666Sii in 32

and
IH-666UHR in 33.

I  do however got a new belt as well :)

But it is a Strike Gold.

_MG_3118_2_rs.jpg

Edited by nizzel55

• 1 month later...

I'm impressed - my hollows was unusable after maybe ~4-6 months of us.  The back belt loop just destroyed the belt, it was nearly folded in half.

I had my friend put a new belt on the buckle:

10268731_1483404201871719_256347086_n.jp

And now, a year later:

11008359_1377892999176639_1886514245_n.j

Question for you, Dylan.  Does the buckle eat holes in your shirts?  I always get the same pattern of holes in my shirt and the buckle is the only thing I can think to blame...

For what it's worth, I've had a Hollows natural belt along with a natural bifold wallet for ~2 years or so. Both are still in great condition. I would definitely agree that the veg tan he uses seems to age/darken at a significantly slower rate than others I've encountered.

Hey erase, I don't wear shirts that often and when I do I don't tuck them in so I cant really comment on that front, I have to say that I am quite happy with the quality though. The first thing I remember liking about hollows belts was this buckle! I have since seen the same buckle show up on plenty of belts available on etsy so I guess it is pretty generic these days. I may well get one of Nicholas's wallets when (if!!) my Voyej wallet gives up the ghost though.

I'm pretty sure my experience was an exception and not the rule. Most people seem to be quite happy with the work done at Hollows.

I didn't mean to talk shit, the belt just didn't work for me.  It was folding over like crazy at the back belt loop and I hated wearing it, even though it still held up my pants.  

I didn't contact hollows to get it fixed or discuss, so I didn't really give him a chance to defend it.  I figured he's doing the work solo and didn't want to take more of his time/energy.  No regrets buying it, it just didn't work for me.

I also wear my pants super high (well, as close as my waist as I can) and am 6'3"+ with long ass limbs so I'm sure my combination of specs and clothing desires aren't ideal for any belt.  I felt bad for the leather when I cut the buckle off...but so goes.

Edited by erase