Belts

cecil

Nice evo on the Quercus rayw44!

The project was October last year.

I too find that the bridle butt is a little bit more pliable than the Quercus butt to begin with, though the quercus leather is 1 mm thicker.

This is the Baker belt new:

pb280194.jpg

The Quercus belt new:

pb030028.jpg

I think Baker's has been slowly changing the way they finish their natural bridle butt leathers.

Saw a couple of the more recent Quercus belts (not from the group project), and the colour and grain appearance is closer to the current bridle butt as seen on the Baker belt.

Btw, to those who are purchasing a new belt, try and hold off for a couple of weeks...I've got a group buy in the works :)

Edited by mikecch

Hey guys,

I have a small issue I hope to find an answer for. I recently just purchased a belt and when it arrived I found out I can only buckle it at the last hole of the belt. Since returning it is a hassle, does any know if leather belts will stretch any over time? or should I return it for one size up?

X-posting from leather thread...

Quick announcement:

Fellow leather nerds, it's time for another group buy project!

This time it's with a little workshop in England called Equus Leather, run by Charlie who is trained in classic English saddlery and who has been making leather crafts professionally since 1995.

The belt this time around will have a little bit of a military twist to it, being a 1.5" wide hand-cut strap, fitted with a solid-brass custom double-pronged garrison-style buckle, ending with a slant edge tip.

The buckle fold will be held together by hand-sewn saddle stitching in waxed Irish linen threads. The edges left raw after a clean cut (I mean, really clean.)

For the leather, we'll be revisiting Baker's tannery from the Quercus project, this time with a modified form of their oak-bark butt which is referred to as the russet bridle butt. The leather will be 6 mm thick (or a little more), have an incredible grain growth, and is "natural" coloured for optimal evolution with time!

This is one of the very best cattlehides available in the world, undergoing a long, slow but gentle oak-bark tanning process (1 year and 1 day sitting in up to 72 of Baker's bark tanning pits) and then finished off by hand.

Very few tanneries in the world produce leather in this old-fashioned way - it is how vegetable tanned leather used to be made.

Anyway, please do let me know if you're interested :)

(I'm taking names for the newsletter list until new year.)

mikecch - do you have any examples of how this belt will look? - im in the uk and was thinking of ordering from them soon (following your earlier exapmples of their work).

This might be the trick to complement my Ande Whall comback Jeans :)

Thanks (and Congrats on the Graduation)

mikecch - do you have any examples of how this belt will look? - im in the uk and was thinking of ordering from them soon (following your earlier exapmples of their work).

This might be the trick to complement my Ande Whall comback Jeans :)

Thanks (and Congrats on the Graduation)

Thanks mate!

Examples? If you mean actual products available, then not really. A few Japanese brands make double-prong designs which you could check out (Sugar Cane, Samurai, Kawatako, etc), but they usually use Chicago screws instead of hand-stitching them...I feel using Chicago screws doesn't complement the Sam Browne style of belt.

I'll work on a sketch in one of my updates though!

Also, I'll have photos of the buckle available very soon.

I'll work on a sketch in one of my updates though!

Also, I'll have photos of the buckle available very soon.

Update: Charlie will have a prototype belt for us late next week, I'll post photos when it's done!

I the meanwhile, here be my Baker belt by Charlie:

pb280218.jpg

Edited by mikecch

X-post from leather thread...

A quick follow-up...the prototype has been made!

Here are a few pics from Charlie - the final version will look more or less the same with a couple of minor tweaks, including the appearance of the pins and the thread thickness:

63c1e609dsc0259.jpg

505e38bddsc0260.jpg

21ca47f8dsc0258.jpg

8353b32cdsc0257.jpg

That's the end of the updates I'll be doing here.

Please do PM me if you're interested; the project will close at new year.

Edited by mikecch

• 2 weeks later...

I placed my order today. Thanks for putting this together.

Dito :-)

Thx Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Got myself another harness leather belt, by unlucky.

The leather is a 16 oz Triple C harness, a pure vegetable tannage from Chahin that's been stuffed with oils but manages to retain the "natural" colour.

Pics taken after one coating of Sedgwick's leather feed:

p1130253r.jpg

p1130222r.jpg

Elk tendon:

p1130224d.jpg

p1130234g.jpg

p1130243.jpg

Edited by mikecch