Your All Time Fav Five

lowrider

1955 501XX timeless. by far the best pair of jeans ive ever owned

1947 501XX details are the killer with this one

SDA-103 the first thing that struck me was the smell. if you could bottle it, i'd be rich. a great cut, and nice details

1967 505XX these have probably worn in the best. i like the lightweight quality of them. amazing in the summer.

silas classic probably controversial but they remind me of a time long ago! sometimes come out on a sunday, or after a surf in the winter.

1 . Levi LVC 1955 - cut alone does it for me .

2 . Lee Euro generic 101z (late 90s) - my first selvage denim jeans and faded really nice .

3 . Lee 101z 1952 (Japan) - quality and authenticity of detailing plus great denim

4 . Levi LVC 1890 - beautiful detailing and lighter weight denim .

5 . Lee 101b cowboy 1928 (Japan) - fantastic quality and detailing but never wore them . Bought them for peanuts on ebay and sold for a bundle more which allowed me to buy some 101z's !!!!

On the sub bench - Lee Euro 101z 1966 , Levi LVC1947 .

i dont really have 5 favs yet, but sure theres alot out there that might be, especially since I havent tried any of the "real" japanese brands. japanese made lee 101 28 is a favourite just after handling them aswell..

now:

-LVC 501 33, great cut, very comfy and amazing details.

-Edwin Nashville, very nice 47 style cut, very nice denim and some cool extra details. good price aswell.

-LVC 47, classic slim cut, flattering and comfy with the antifit aswell as nice denim and color. I should have sized up more on mine tho..

Of what I've owned:

PBJ XX-005: Incredible texture and fading, excellent cut if you get the proper size. I've had these for 11 months and have gotten pretty nice results. I'll probably end up getting another pair of these at some point sized up one or two.

DSCN1627.jpg

Eternal 872/868: Streaky 18 oz denim with lots of character. Pictures don't accurately describe what these look like. Great inverted arcuate-esque pocket stitching. I love the fit too, which is a moderately slim straight cut (at least on me). Great change of pace from the PBJs. No idea how these are going to break in, but I'll find out soon enough.

DSC00446.jpg

APC New Standard: I'd recommend these to anyone. Super versatile and in my experience extremely durable. I've had mine since last January and have yet to have anything break on them. Oh, and they break in pretty nice, too. But you already know all this.

apc15months.jpg

LVC 1947 501xx: Definitely a classic. I had to sell these because they were simply too tight (I didn't account for the post-soak shrink on my pair), but I liked them while I wore them, and can tell they would have faded well were I more of a masochist.

lvc47back.jpg

That ends my list for pairs I've owned. I've got dry black Nudie Slim Jims, but am not terribly impressed. The fit is pretty great, and I do like Nudie's stitching and details, but the denim is nothing special after handling the good stuff. I'd have to wear these an awful lot more than I do to make a dent in them. Hopefully I'll find a pair of Samurai S5000bk at some point, though I am curious about the coated black Thin Finns.

A pair of BIG STAR (here's a name that never gets dropped) that my cousin wore down beautifully and then donated to me. Like butter... That was, I think, 16 years ago.

I always thought that these jeans were the shit. Because back then they cost 130 bucks, alot for jeans back then. Never heard from BIG STAR again...

headtowall-

May I just say that that post was perfect?

1. Samurai 5000VX - A great cut, and a long inseam for my legs. The waist is cut to sit perfectly on your hips.

2. SDA 1XX - I was not a huge fan of how my 103s fit due to a short inseam and too-slim cut, but the denim, hardware and color was out of this world.

3. Eternal 811 - My brother recently had a pair of these and the color literally starts off very close to black. The weave was interesting, and seemed to be geared towards vertical falling.

4. LVC '47 - The denim is okay, but for Levi's it's exceptional. Ring-ring, selvedge, etc along with the classic arcs and tab. Nice, slim cut that should be sized up on. I think that they fit me perfectly in a 33, but the waist was (shockingly) extremely tight for somebody who typically wears a 32.

5. LVC '55 - The fit is perfect for just kickin' it. Very nice jeans for a normal fit and the Levi's image.

Wild Card: Any pair of Warehouse jeans ever. IMO, the best denim ever produced, and great cuts.

1. apc new standard - the "practical" way to get into dry denim. great slim fit and fades very nicely when worn well. very minimal in details and is very easy to wear in different occasions.

2. lvc 1947 - traditional 501 cut but quite tapered. does not choose a certain body type to wear. easy to break in quality is sort of good for the price.

3. denime 66xx - a 66 model, quite slim throughout the leg but roomy enough to be comfortable. fades quite nicely(mine formed nice whiskers)

4. lee 101z - details and quality are on the higher side. a slim fit that is paired with some nice denim material.

5. dior 19cm brut - i am a fan of slim/skinny jeans and this has to be the best when it comes to fitment. quality is an issue coz its kinda expensive but hey, its all about the denim and how it feels when you wear it.

mine... that ive owned.

1. samurai s0500xx. they were made for me.

2. vintage 501, "6" button. denim was beautiful, as was the 2 tone stitching.

3. ande whall grifters

4. sugarcane 45

5. dubbleworks/warhouse "contest"- i trust gordons instincts on this.

Of what I've owned:

PBJ XX-005: Incredible texture and fading, excellent cut if you get the proper size. I've had these for 11 months and have gotten pretty nice results.

headtowall, you have the best PBJs on the board. I would say that they surpass pretty nice results

We have similar collections H2W.

I have the 868s but hadnt got them when I did my intial post. Also I left out a modern classic, the "NS".

868 - these have so much going for them, great jeans, great cut, the fabric is so strange, but with plain shirts and nice shoes it really adds to an outfit. Perhaps my fav regular cut juxtaposed with the sc40500 and s5000bk. I think the heavy weight (17+), uber slubby japanese jean is a "must have" for every mans wardrobe! (4.5).

New Standard!!! - wondeful to size up down and sideways with, I have two 31w ( indigo selvedge and grey twill) and one 27 ( indigo selvedge overdyed ) the black ones are exactly the same fit as the grey twills, except the blacks have a bigger waist (!?!?!?). The point is its a great cut that still looks amazing when too big or two small.

Thats my five.

1) My Kato's. They're beautiful, nearly irridescent, fading reasonably quickly, and soft, soft soft. They're a standard '47 cut, but with interesting pockets to give them something to stand out. One caveat is that the dropped pockets make a U-lock hit my ass occasionally.

2) PBJ-XX007s. Not as comfortable, or as breathable, but very flattering, and constantly entertaining to rub against, slubbiness is fun if not comfy.

3) 9 year old pair of diesels. Got me excited about jeans, so I'm fond of them no matter how they look/looked/anything.

4) Similarly ancient pair of 9 or so ounce G-stars. Nothing particularly flattering, but they've gotten me through more hot summer days than anything else I could find.

APC New Standard - the perfect balance between style and price

Dior Homme 19cm raw - the perfect cut

Nudie Slim Jim - great lounging jeans

Julian Red hoboken Nikki sixx - beautiful artistic pair of jeans

Nudie Regular Ralf Dry Selvage - the original gangster

APC Cure- Gives the look most people try(and fail) to get with NS. Cheap, well cut and look great

PBJ 005- Nice modern cut with fun slubby nicely colored denim. People complain about thigh tightness but after a month of wearing or a damp stretch, they fit great.

Diore Homme- 19cm. Depending on how much you size down for your body type and desired look, they generally come out fantastic. They're just cut fantastic.

Levis 511 soft rigid- At only $50 it's a nice intro into slimmer dark denim. Cut very slim it can give people a skinny look at half of the APC price for high school kids and poor college kids alike.

April 77 Joey- In any color or just the raw look, it's not personally for me cut wise, but i've seen a lot of people pull it off and look absolutely fantastic. The price is relatively low and if you're tall and skinny it will probably look incredible on you. The grey color looks great and the other colors are nice as well giving you room to play.

In the order I got them...

APC English - not too $$, good colour, fading well. The way the denim stretches out makes the relaxed cut the most comfortable fit in the world.

Aihiko - hank-dyed, relaxed, good length, great fit. They're amazing, subtly irregular/slubby/streaky. Relaxed fit for most, they fit fairly close/slim on me. Color is amazing (especially in the sun) and has almost no trae of fading.

S5000VX - Slubby, heavy, and dark. Like someone said, the way the waist is cut lets them sit perfectly on the hips (without riding low in the crotch) a 'perfect' mid-rise for me. "hip flare" is non-existant for me, and they fit pretty slim, with a great length for a double cuff.

the Aihikos, they made me want ALL the Sorahikos, overdyed, and NandoXnando (same cut right?)

while the 5000's make me want the BK's, the 19oz version, and the upcoming 21oz... obsession much?

1. Oni blues- Ilove how soft they got after several washes, super comfortable.

2. sda 103's- love the feel of the denim.

3. 811's- pretty much best cut for me, just sits perfect.

4. APC- new standard, good simple jean.

5. Nudie- even steven, recently been wearing more and more.

This is great. I only have 3 pairs of jeans that I really like so now I have a nice long list of other jeans to check out. Thanks everyone!

My fav 3 are:

1) KMW 1950 AWA - the dye, construction, and details (double crotch selvedge, felled inseams) are amazing and they are a great regular fit jean

2) SExIH01BK - the cut / fit, the light overdye, the details (silver rivets, smaller back pockets), and the soft 21oz cotton

3) Somet Slim - the cut / fit, details (thigh darts), and the colour

• 5 years later...

1. ROY RS04- i love knowing one man made this thing of beauty.

2. Samurai S0610LX-RR - The fade on these jeans came out ideal. I did blow out the crotch but that was my own fault. Had them fixed. couldnt be better.

3.Pure Blue Japan xx-009 - The dye job on these is like no other.

I love my jeans more than i like most people...

no order

lvc 555 S501 s i have had 3 pairs of these, can't understand why i don't have any at the moment.

Sugar Cane Okinawas . i still have a pair

sugar cane 1945 leepros. again, can't understand why i do not have any of these

LVC 1873 s Denim or duck, both nice

tender 130 s

No real order

Samurai 710xx - the fit is great and the 19oz denim is even better

Fullcount 1108 - love the fit , I went tts and I love the room

Ooe Yofukuten 91 and 9202 - the s9202's are what I've allways wanted ( ww2 details in a 60's cut ) and the 9102's are so comfortable , it's like wearing sweatpants ( denim is soo soft)

SDA 103 - my first pair of mij jeans , realy loved these but I lost some weight and ended up selling them

Evis 2101 - had a pair a few years ago but they never fit right , I'm allways on the lookout for a pair

Edited by Flash

Evisu 2000 #1 - superb denim and great cut when you nail the right size

Resolute 710 - Even though I bought the wrong size, theres something about the denim I find special, dunno why

LVC 1966 - the most natural fitting pair of jeans I've worn, ever

SDA 103 - first MIJ pair

Edited by Freezie

5. Samurai S0500xx - Good fit, awesome denim. Yes, I'm biased because I'm from Texas. RepeatToFade's 0500s are probably in my top three fades I've ever seen - maybe the best vertical fades of any Samurai denim. The details like buttons and rivets are also just incredible.

4. Pure Blue Japan XX-009/007 - The original (I think?) indigo weft denim. Incredible color with great fade potential. Personally, I think the 009 cut is a lot better if you size down a bit. Stukovx's jeans are the reigning king here.

3. Eternal 811 - Good cut, awesome denim. Beautiful vertical fading that can be as contrasty or vintage as you want. ah_long's are my favorite.

2. Samurai S710xx - Perfect cut, good denim. Really, for my body type denim cuts don't come any better than this. The denim is thick, hairy, and feels great. I haven't seen as many holy grail fades for these jeans since they tend to turn into a washed-out gray color. Right now, Max Power's are my absolute favorite pair because they're still a nice, rich shade of blue. If only the 19-oz. denim started out as dark as Flat Head or Eternal denim, these would be my favorites.

1. Flat Head 3001/F310 - The cut disagrees with my body, but the denim is quite simply my favorite of any brand, ever. Glorious, piercing blue fades and perfect contrast. The jeans worn by Lambs and Sidneylo are some of my favorites of all time, though lots of other people here - Zendeen, Dragon_, and Darbir among others - are also pretty awesome. I prefer the F310 pocket shape and embroidery.

hah, love a good thread resurrection, this one in particular is fun to see the evolution of brand popularity etc. (samurai as "too funky for some" back in '07?! love it)

probably no surprise for those who know me ;) :

1 through 5: Warehouse 15th Anniversary 1001XX

i had to...;) but no really, everything from the classic fit, to the details, construction, and especially the fabric (7x7 lightness, pliability, and oh so comfortable against your skin) represent everything i love about warehouse and their pursuit of denim madness/detail

Ooe Yofukuten 9102 Contest jeans: the 91 fabric isn't my favorite from ooe fade wise, but it just feels so good (i like the sweatpant analogy) and the construction by ooe is top notch. hard to take off once on (whenever i can actually wear them)...

Full Count 1108: perfect fit, perfect fabric, osaka 5 original.

Evisu 2000 No.1: despite the hype and direction evisu has taken, these are still classic and fade beautifully over time, the more frequent the washes, the better!

we all have our favorites for our own reasons, i cant wait to dig this back up in another 5 years and see the direction things take...

Maybe for me ( not in order )

IH 634 : golden cut from IH

Warehouse 800s: too comfortable in my skin

Flathead 1001: lighting blue fading

Evisu No.1 : their fabric and fading is amazing

Sorry forget 1 more:

I dont have experience personally but i would love to try SDA/Denime. the fading from that 2 brand mostly are amazing

Edited by leyori

No particular order:

Denime XX - Shins are 10 years old or so & have great contrast & color Orizzonti currently wearing them in but finally broken in .

Billikenman 101- Really nice slub texture, no real wear yet.

SC45 lee repro of 101 cowboy - were my favorite, no longer fit & (Shameless plug) on E-bay.

vintage 60 & 70 Levi's 6 on button- Great when broken in, worn around the house as pajamas.

Vintage Lee Jelt- love these although I passed them on to my nephew.

Samurai S710xx-- great heavy denim, and the closest thing to the perfect cut for me that I've found yet

Samurai S710 Black Shadow-- see above

Iron Heart SExIHxLSxA13-- great cut for me, and oh my god, the denim is incredible. Bulletproof and beautiful, and the fades are gonna be awesome

Iron Heart BB-01-- the rise could be a touch lower and the waist is a bit smallish, but otherwise the cut is very similar to the Samurai S710xx and therefore awesome. Plus the IH 21oz denim is just so damn sexy

PBJ xx-007-- the rise is a little low, but a pretty good cut nonetheless, and the texture of the denim combined with the way these fade make these pretty special. The xx-005 is very nearly as good.

That was a good resurrection!

My favorites in no real particular order:

1. Evisu #2000 No.1: Just a real classic. We possibly wouldn’t be all talking about all this denim stuff if not for Evis starting the repro trend and bringing it to the masses. The cut is a nice ’66 cut which I like. Not too slim. The denim is nice. Only downside (or upside for some guys) is, that the denim changes from season to season so you don’t always know what you get. BUT this way it’s always a new journey. Most of all I love the quirky details like crotch rivet and offset belt loops on a ’66 cut. Also the all over two-tone stitching and of course the hand painted gulls! I just love seeing a faded pair with white cracked gulls, like the DD+1 world tour jeans, which brought me to Evisu.

1. Denime 66XX: Whether from the Orrizonti, Shins or from McCoys now, I really like this brand! I love the fit and the denim used on the 66XX. From the Shins we know how great they can fade, from McCoys we will have to see. Also was Denime 66XX my first jeans that I used in a contest and thus always special to me. A simple pair of blue jeans with no bling-bling, distracting from the real product.

1. Samurai S0500XX Lot.11: The fit is great and versatile, the Texas Cotton denim is just nice, especially from my Lot.11 (better than the one from Lot.10 and Lot.12 I also own/owned). I love the hairiness and slubs of this 15oz denim, I love Samurai’s eye for details and I just love the old arcs my pair has :D
    Furthermore was this model the jeans that were used in the first worldwide denim contest. See where it has brought us to: So many contests followed!

1. Samurai S710XX: I wouldn’t be Mr. Samurai if I wouldn’t name at least 2 of their models in my list ;) I was between the S5000VX and this one. The 710 is a great slim fitting jeans and the 19oz denim has proven itself often enough what great fades it can generate. In contrast to ColdSummer, I really like the greyish color the 19oz denim gets after long use and washes.

1. Fullcount 1108XX: Although I don’t own it for so long I’m already fallen for Fullcount and this model. The 1108 cut is a great slim straight cut and the 15.5oz denim is beautiful. From the hairiness the denim reminds me a lot of my S0500XX without being overly irregular. Just a decent amount of slubs. The 100% Zimbabwe cotton gives this denim a wonderful feel on your skin. It still starts crunchy and stiff (but less stiff than the other brands I named) but softens up nicely and drapes really well. This denim has a lot of potential! These jeans also give me the feeling to own a pair of simple, vintage blue jeans.
    Further on, I also like Fullcount’s philosophy and eye to details (buttons, rivets, threads used).

edit: Would love to see some more of the" old" folks that posted 5 years ago! :)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Current favorite:

Ooe 9101xx (competition jeans), had to agree with Aho, one of the nicest jeans I had ever put my legs through. Very hairy with hints of slubbiness.

Cannot wait to see how it will fades!

PBJ 007, unique slubby texture + fades.

Tender Type 131 (logwood dye), the play on details will always amaze me everytime I wear it.

SugarCane 1966, lightweight, repro jeans with some attitude, hairy and abit slubby.

Kapital Century Denim, playful and bold.