Your All Time Fav Five

lowrider

Moderator - If this thread is a repeat, please delete it. Mahalo.

I did a cursory search and didn't find a thread specific to peoples all time favorite jeans. I'm talking about must haves, staples, you get the idea.

So, I've read through a ton of posts and threads here and people have some sick denim. What I want to know is what are your top 5 and why.

These jeans have to be ones you currently own or have owned in the past.

Pics are always welcome!

Samurai S5000, VX or BK depending on which color you want. Just the best straight cut I've tried and great denim.

Denime Tokyo Edition, I love the 66 501 which these are based on. This denim fades really well.

Eternal 811 is also a 66 with nice denim.

Flat Head 3003 for the real world war deal.

Those are pretty much it for staples.

Not mentioning SD103 because the rise is wack.

My s5000 bk are a really nice straight cut, I sized down 2 but imagine they would look good sized up one, very verstaile, I really like the seat in them. Can sit high or low. Awesome weight, and nice subtle stitch colour changes. Silvery red selvedge is cool to cuff if ever you feel abit "glam"

sc40500 - not sure if these are quite a straight cut but they are probably my fav regular cut jeans, very flattering drape and cut. Natural regional indigos (edo ai in this case), hand felled inseams, best patch ever (rah!), nice all green selvedge, half sugar cane half cotton, beautiful pocket linings fron and back, nice buttons- i prefer all the details on these jeans to any other jeans.

PBJ 005- very nice slim cut, Id like em in black too, very slimming, flattering drape too. Super slubby denim that I love and hate.

I think this thread is a good idea because it could just be a list of comparisions from people with different collections. See no one has everything but I imagine it would be handy for someone to do a search and get umpteen persons opinions in relation to the other jeans in peoples collection.

Iron Heart 634S

Dior Homme 21cm

Any Repro by Sugarcane

Flat Head 3003

Diesel Kratt (1994 to 1997)

Not mentioning SD103 because the rise is wack.

What do you mean by wack? Not too high, not too low, what's not to love?

1.SD 103 For the denim and the cut. Ultimate jeans for me. 2. Samurai 5000vx Because I can beat them to hell.

3. SDA 1293 Just cause its loverly fabric. Makes me horny wearing them.

4. Nudie RRDS I just like 'em.

5. SDA D1002 To me the ultimate lady killer cut. Butter soft LHT. If I was single and younger I would wear these all the time.

Guest Berget__

Evisu No1 0101 - The evisu no1 denim is very underrated imo, tons of vertical falling. The only other quality denim I've compared it to are the sugarcane okinawas and the evisu are just as good if not better imo. The cut is not the best but a pretty nice baggy cut.

Edwin ed-47 - The Edwin denim is nice and they get quite a lot of vertical falling after some wear. Im not too fond o the cut since it's VERY low rise and a bit bootcut. Im going to tailor mine abit to get them to fit better. A good pair of jeans but you could probably get better quality for the price (I payed 200$ for mine)

Levis Red first collection - Very nice denim. I think its almost the same as the blueline LVC denim that airfrog praise so much. These are one of my favorite jeans and its a shame that Levis Red isn't what it used to be.

1.) Helmut Lang Classic Cut Denim ( Raw )-- beautiful cut and timeless design.

2. )Iron Heart Straight Cut Selvage- I wear it everyday since I got it last month. This is hardcore.

3. )LVC- 1955 501XX. Just because it's the real thing.

4.) LVC-1937 201XX - the indigo they used is is excellent and the cinch-back is classic.

5.) John Galliano Jeans S/S2006- This pair bring out the 'fashionista' in me.

6.) Dior Homme 19cm. Black Raw. Fit, fit, fit is soooo good and sexy~!!

I never wear them any more, but i have a pair of original diesel zathans. They're incredible. I tried on a pair a couple years ago and diesel completely changed the fit. The ones I have are super skinny. They have a bunch of holes I made in 'em just through wear and tear and the texture feels crazy. I never washed 'em and its been YEARS. They're just completely filled with grease. They're a really thick and soft so they're super comfortable and fit me perfectly. I think if I were to wash them now they would just fall apart and be completely white. But they're probably my favorite jeans.

1. RRL Slim - amazing hank dyed denim, wears very well. I criticize the fit, but it's better than most.

2. LVC 1947 501xx - 'cuz I've been wearing mine non-stop for five months now. Great fit, decent denim, wearing very well.

3. 45rpm Sorahiko - they age beautifully

4. Pherrow's Stormy Blues - most underrated Japanese denim brand, imho

5. Evis no. 2 - sold mine to Beacon's Closet several years ago after I lost weight, but these aged well and the fit was great

Edwin's Lee 101 repros, Full Count, and Sugar Cane 1947 in a three-way tie for last - amazing denim on all, but I had a problem with all three. Ended up selling all on eBay.

1. RRL Slim - amazing hank dyed denim, wears very well. I criticize the fit, but it's better than most.

Whoa, I didn't know they were hank dyed. Would you happen to know where the denim comes from? I've heard that the denim is sourced from some mills in Kurabo but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

My list:

(1) Diesel Kratt - These were my first pair of 'premium' jeans. IMO, the best jean that Diesel has ever put out.

(2) SDA 103 - The fit is very nice, and versatile. I love the super dark denim and the pig boys patch.

in no particular order

1. LVC 501xx '47 : gotta love the antifit, fabric is great, but construction and finishing is really nice! staple piece everyone should know about.

2. 45rpm sorahiko : fantastic denim, SUPER well put together, the best finishing and construction i've seen. fucking tough acually. great slim cut, very clean look.

3. samurai s5000bk: great cut, very versatile, denim has good slub with out being over the top. tough as shit. great details.

4. sugarcane: nice details/construction.

5. something skinny and tapered, boxy cut seat (i'm guesing dior but i never owned a pair) i have a pair of sd103s, but they just don't sit quit right, and no boxy seat.

Whoa, I didn't know they were hank dyed. Would you happen to know where the denim comes from? I've heard that the denim is sourced from some mills in Kurabo but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Kurabo would be a safe guess. It is hank dyed, though - I'm almost sure of that. It's probably also mercerized, and it feels like it's been coated with a slight tinting. I talked about that in another thread, about how my LVC 47's are a bit too blue. For your money, I put RRL Slims above a lot of the Japanese brands that people covet (Full Count, Sugar Cane, etc). I'm not a collector - I don't hesitate to throw jeans up on eBay if I'm not totally digging them. And I swear I'm not shilling for Ralph...the current batch of RRL Slims are just the best out there and I consider myself lucky to own a pair. How's that for an endorsement.

Kurabo would be a safe guess. It is hank dyed, though - I'm almost sure of that. It's probably also mercerized, and it feels like it's been coated with a slight tinting. I talked about that in another thread, about how my LVC 47's are a bit too blue. For your money, I put RRL Slims above a lot of the Japanese brands that people covet (Full Count, Sugar Cane, etc). I'm not a collector - I don't hesitate to throw jeans up on eBay if I'm not totally digging them. And I swear I'm not shilling for Ralph...the current batch of RRL Slims are just the best out there and I consider myself lucky to own a pair. How's that for an endorsement.

Tony next to original raw 40s 50s Levis the denim color and texture are real good on both the 47s and the 55s. 55s being dead on in cut denim weight and texture.

Tony next to original raw 40s 50s Levis the denim color and texture are real good on both the 47s and the 55s. 55s being dead on in cut denim weight and texture.

I'm not making a vintage comparison when I talk up RRL's. My criteria for what constitutes a great jean isn't really about how faithful a reproduction it is.

I'm in Tokyo right now, and I just went to OT+E - tried on Flatheads, Sugar Canes, Dubbleworks, Warehouse. I really wanted to get a brand I've never owned before, but instead I walked out with a pair of Pherrow's Lot 466. An amazing jean...nobody talks about this brand and in my not so humble opinion, Pherrow's blows away most of the Japanese brands. I already own the Pherrow's with the plaid flannel pocket lining (don't remember the model #) and I've posted those before at the 2 yr mark. The 466 are a slightly slimmer straight leg, no flannel pocket lining - can't wait to break them in. BTW, arcuates and red tabs are EVERYWHERE.

Hey thanks for the info. on the RRL slims. If possible, can you post any pictures of your new Pherrow's Lot 466? I don't think there are that many people here that are familiar with Pherrow's sizing or their various cuts, and Pherrow's denim offerings aren't as widely listed on Rakuten as some other brands like D'Artisan, Sugarcane or PBJ, so that might be why Pherrow's isn't talked about.

Hey thanks for the info. on the RRL slims. If possible, can you post any pictures of your new Pherrow's Lot 466?

Sure...not much to look at, but they get it: selvage, dark indigo (hard to tell from pics, but I compared in the store next to Flatheads, etc, and these were the darkest), actual burr rivets, plain back pkt, very good fit. Some of the Pherrow's have the SB printed on the back pkt - I'm not into those. These were one wash - starched wash as they call it. They're still very crispy.

385359700_7742795e56.jpg

Tony, those Pherrow's are pretty dope. I agree with you, I totally dig the new RRL Slims. Everybody hates the way RRL sizes shit, but if you can overlook that and size down, I think you have a fantastic product.

My Top 5 for now:

1. Samurai 5000vx. I'm not much of a slim jean person, so these fit great. I think that Samurai has some of the best fabric I've ever seen. Overall, I think the company just makes great denim product. They might be a little too funky for some people, but I think it's one of the more original repro brands out there. They wear out incredible too.

2. Flat Head 5005xx. Looks kind of like Texas cotton with the short fibers and slubbiness. It has a greenish indigo color. The fit is a quasi bootcut, not a true one, with the thighs being tight and the leg opening a little bigger that usual. Since I wear a lot of boots, this one's perfect.

3.45rpm Sorahikos. I think I like the fit more than the denim. It has a medium rise, which I think sits on my ass better. I like to sag a bit, so this jean seems to look best with that.

4. Oni 19oz. Natural Indigo. I didn't even give a damn about the fit, 'cause this fabric is incredible. Feels like rough, thick home-made paper. Just one of the most beautiful denim I've ever seen.

5. Evisu 2000 No.1. This is my overall best fitting jeans. Denim isn't that special, but I've always loved the Evisu color. It has a greenish-blue tint that wears out pretty dope. Fuck all the other junk they have out, this one is a classic.

• 3 months later...

Samurai S5000VX - great basic kick ass cut - denim rocks

Eternal 872 - mad denim , great relaxed fit

Dior Homme MIJ 21cm - it´s all about the cut

Sugar Cane 1945 - simple and beautiful Lee Repro

EVISU 2000 No1 - haven´t felt them yet - but I trust in Cheeps instincts...

this is out of the ones I own myself:

LVC 501 1947. To me, even though its expensive, this is the ultimate gateway jean. The cut is timeless enough for everyone to like.

Lee 101B 1944 Riders For the same reasons as above but Left Hand twill and great detailing

Sugarcane Either one with sugarcane/cotton mixed denim. because of the way it looks/feels

Lee 101B 1936 "Hair on Hide" The essential Cowboy cut with excellent detailing

LVC 505 1967 The essential Mod cut

Eternal 811 - great fit, rich colour, holy grail of colour falling, and i love the heavy gauge seam stitching. visual and tactile comfort.

Sugar Cane Okinawa - although the fit isn't quite for me (not yet), i couldn't stop touching the jeans after i'd tried them on. the depth of the dye, the rugged feel of the denim, and the backpocket stitching does it for me.

SD-103 - i haven't tried the 03 fit on, but i've had the chance to try the SD-101 and that left quite an impression.

there're alot of others but i either haven't had the opportunity to try them on, or i don't feel that they're quite "All Time Fav Five" material--yamane and skull are two such brands. still good stuff though.