football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Guest I LOVE LFC

Yea, some of you don't seem to have any common sense. David Villa was sold to Barcelona because Valencia were desperate for money at the time.

Mike Ashley knows Liverpool were getting £50 million for Torres, its January 31st, he's not going to give them a bargain for their best player is he?

Liverpool have basically got Carroll and Suarez for £8 million after the sale of Torres. So for someone who was constantly sulking and only plays half seasons through injury, not bad. Plus, it's showing the owners intent, if they are spending this in January, I'm more than sure they will spend again in the summer.

I'd say the bigger gamble is on Chelsea paying £50 mil for Torres anyway.

We've got a pittence of a debt compared to other clubs too

There was money spent for spending money's sake. Why would, for example, Man City spend that much on Dzeko when the formation of choice is a lone striker one with Tevez up top? Tevez isn't moving back or to the wing, I would be pleasantly surprised to see a change in formation, but anyway...

As a Chelsea fan, I'm disappointed by the Torres transfer. He's just not viable enough from a form and health standpoint to be worth 50M. David Luiz is a great signing though. From what I've seen, he'll transition well.

I do agree on the outset...

what kinda formation are we gonna have now?

442? Does that mean dropping Malouda? Or are we gonna dump Mikel (Ramires) to have only Essien in behind FFL and play two wingers Mal n' Nico? And hope our offense is enough to overcome any defensive frailty by only having 4 dedicated defenders?!?!

ARGH

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut it's NANDO. That guy is a pure striker and despite the WAY WAY TOO HIGH price tag attached to him that guy could come back into form and be... dare I say it Carlo's new... ... ... Schevy... lets hope it's not the Chelsea version that turns up!

as a side thought....

I'm sure we coulda got Kaka for 50million...

ugh

I think that we shift/tilt the 4-3-3 and play an asymmetric formation. That's what I would think best and most convenient. There will some sort of rotation system up front.

I place torres and kaka at the same level at the moment. I wouldn't necessarily buy kaka over torres. I would rather have pursued more seriously aguero, possibly hulk, arda turan, alexis sanchez, hazard; younger players whose prices may not have been as inflated and whose wages would be lower. But, I think that the vast majority of players who could make an impact would be overpriced.

Drogba and Anelka aren't getting any younger. Torres is proven in England over the last few seasons. As much as I hate the hype over the most bestest league in the world (ever) the other players you have suggested would have been a much bigger risk than Torres for Chelsea coming from outside of England.

True he's coming off the back of a poor World Cup, but in the last few games Torres has been putting in some decent showings -- he's got 4 in his last 6. Drogba averages a goal every 151 minutes, to Torres' average of a goal every 120. Anelka has 215 minutes beween goals on average. I'd be interested to see if they put him in the role Kalou was playing at Sunderland last night with the 3 big guns up top.

As for Man City, Dzeko was someone Mancini seemed to be interested in for a while. He's said he thinks Balotelli, Dzeko and Tevez can all fit into the same team ... who knows. They are nearly as defensive as they were or as they were made out to be even -- they had like some ridiculous number of shots against Villa (23 or so?) and still lost.

Basically as much as I admire what teams like Arsenal do, building a team up through smaller signings and youth policy, and however much I'm disgusted by the sums of money involved there's not like a bit of transfer madness to stimulate interest in football; it's like anything could happen again.

As a newcastle fan I just wish if they were always willing to sell Carroll if the right bid came in, they would have made some enquiries about potential replacements before the very very last minute.

at least fucking spurs earned their comeback against us. today the ref gave it to fucking newcastle. and joey barton will forever be a cunt.

edit:

From the Phil Dowd group on Facebook:

Arsenal vs Phil Dowd this season: 3 draws 1 loss(3 from behind)\9 yellow, 2 red\4 penalties against