football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Why are people bitching about the hand ball? He might as well get a red card and risk the penalty. If he doesn't use his hand it's a sure goal and there is no time to equalize. Great match, I feel sorry for Ghana but that's football. I doubt Uruguay can do one over Netherlands.

People are bitching cause if he hadn't done that Ghana would have fucking won. It's a cheap way to deny your opponent and a cuntly one at that. They cheated to win nonetheless Guam shouldve put the pk away. But Suarez was trying to draw cards every fucking time he got tiyched during the match. Lost all respect for him. Can you imagine if this had happened to England, Spain, or any other big country. There would be a call for suarez's head. It's a disgrace. The worst team made it to the semis through cheating/unsportsmanship. People are bitching cause it's an absolute fucking disgrace.

I know it's cheating and bad sportsmanship but fuck it. It's a game of life and death and he took a huge gamble, which paid off.

It happens in England as well. I think two seasons ago in Merseyside derby Neville was standing on the goal line and handled Lucas' shot. Card, penalty and Liverpool won 2-0, but if the penalty would be saved there was still time to equalize.

If it would be me I would do it every time. I would expect every player on that team to do it.

Just got home and am debating an extended disco nap for a few hours, or just sacking up and pulling an all nighter before this Argentina display of domination over the "Evil Axis"... ;) Love ya Beats no matter the outcome! Looks like you will be drinking and I will be hung over and scouring the kitchen for anything semi-edible. Good times! AR-GEN-TINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But Suarez was trying to draw cards every fucking time he got tiyched during the match. Lost all respect for him.

Same can be said for Robben and his tactics. But I doubt you'll hear anything from the Dutch camp.

(...) But Suarez was trying to draw cards every fucking time he got tiyched during the match. Lost all respect for him. Can you imagine if this had happened to England, Spain, or any other big country. There would be a call for suarez's head. It's a disgrace. (...)
I know it's cheating and bad sportsmanship but fuck it. It's a game of life and death and he took a huge gamble, which paid off.

This is an interesting debate that has been going for a while around these parts. He's the most successful Ajax striker we've seen in years, yet he will never be considered one of the greats merely because of his - in our perception - lack of sportsmanship. Suarez will do anything to win a game, including diving and faking injuries, and he's not afraid to admit it. He says it's simply the South American way of playing the game.

Same can be said for Robben and his tactics. But I doubt you'll hear anything from the Dutch camp.

Actually, Robben is criticized in the Dutch media all the time for being a wuss and the way he carries himself on the pitch. However, he is also praised for his current form. I do believe that he is still haunted by the stigma created during his years at Chelsea, which is not always fair, as he has improved quite a bit, but a large majority won't bother to look beyond what happens in the EPL. Still, the general consensus here is that Robben is still a douche who happens to perform exceptionally well at times. Personally I think van Bommel is an ever bigger asshole, but he's just more subtle and sneaky.

guess a lot of people are getting off the Arg bandwagon right about now, said from day one that their d was always going to be suspect. a shame mueller has to miss the next match, regardless its going to be the same outcome as the euros. and then i'm gonna laugh at everyone who put off la roja after the swiss.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... what a let down... wasn't even a match! Brilliant tactics from the Krauts. I coulda been fucked if I'd managed to get to the local bookie in time!

i just don't like germany. it's too typical. spain and the netherlands are due for some world cup glory and very deserving of it.

ps - ballack should be forced to retire because he doesn't belong in that team, especially after showing how much better they are without that cunt.

that was some of the most insane 5 minutes of football ever...

well played to Paraguay, really their best game of the WC... I don't why Rocky came on tho, that guy's been as useless as nando. Barrios shoulda come on first :(

In Nando's defense he has been improving (perhaps not this game but the last was a step up) as he get more playing time, but is it really worth it? I feel that Germany would love to have him start as Spain's movement was stifled with him on. Felt the other Fernando Torres did better last game... or how about reverting to their old front line with Da Silva? Didn't they win a billion games with him next to Villa?? Yeah it did make them narrower in their first game of the WC buuuuut....

Great game!

If para won that last game, I wouldve said, okay they deserved that win, constantly putting pressure, playing a good D against Spain, they just couldnt push through. And Even though some people I know are hating on Spain, I think they didt play too bad either, keep hitting them till they reveal a gap and have at it.

Next Game, Germany vs. Spain on Wed, I think Germany has this one, they have amazing organization and great structure in their team. Plus I also think their whole team is slowly being unvieled and everyone on the team is a major threat with the ball.

I really think this has to do more about coaching. Maradona isnt that good of a coach compared to joachim loew

the tactics used by Germany were great. Loew won the match before it had started.

Howeve I do feel the Krauts aren't bulletproof just yet... they did have some real bad spells in the group stages...

I agree, Its all about momentum with the germans. Then their tatics just unfold after that first goal. But I believe they will have to switch tactis against spain. Then even more so for Netherlands.

Its funny to see the organized structured style of play defeat the freestyle more individual type of play so ffar.

Germany games have been really exciting games to watch so far too.

i just don't like germany. it's too typical. spain and the netherlands are due for some world cup glory and very deserving of it.

Really? I think Germany have been much more interesting to watch than either Spain or Holland. Maybe it's a matter of expectations, and of Germany exceeding theirs, while the other two have perhaps fallen short. Have Spain looked anything like as convincing as everyone expected them to? Tiki taka is proving less successful at unlocking miserly defences than at the euros or the last world cup. With Spain it's a bit like the arse in Thiery's last season, a great team, but tactically one dimensional, and one which everyone has the measure of. In light of this, the tactical innovation of Germany has been much more engaging. I wouldn't mind if Spain won, but in this form I wouldn't find much romance in it.

I guess you could say Germany has been more of a surprise while Spain/NL haven't lived up to expectations...?

An observation/question about Spain with half their team today being from Barca. Why aren't Spain as successful Barca when attacking?

Me thinks Barca had far more tactical directing from Pep with clear and defined roles for his players - that would change for each opposition. While Spain have seemed to play the same game each time they go out and tactical direction from del Bosque only seems to come from his subs...

comments?