football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Hmmm, I do like Drogba, even though he's a curse against the Arse. Also have a profound admiration for Essien, and an affection for Joe Cole. Otherwise I loathe Chelsea's players individually even more than I hate the team. Not that I'm particularly keen on Inter, but I'm very happy to see them humble Chelsea at the Bridge, particularly considering what a niggly game it was, and the whole Mourinho sub-plot. Turnbull made a good save to deny Eto at the death, otherwise Inter's four shots (1 more than Chels) on target were unmemorable.

It's a good point actually re: Ancelotti. He was bought in to win the Champion's League, and unfortunately was knocked out by Mourinho, who, as his press conference showed yesterday, still very much hasn't got over getting sacked by Abramovic for not being successful enough, ie, not winning the Big Cup. Also while getting knocked out of europe will allow them to focus more closely on the domestic league, as leaders it still will be considered theirs for the losing. If either ManU or Arsenal pip them, it is hard to see his position as tenable, considering Roman's past form. So, the return of Hiddink? Defection of Capello? Who has the pedigree to take Chelsea to the next level?

I think this exemplifies exactly why England haven't a hope in hell of winning SA. When you look at the quality of spain's first choice eleven, and then the quality of their back up, and consider which English player would make that squad, I would say only Cashley, and maybe Rooney, though Torres and Villa are better out and out strikers. Since it looks likely that the left back spot will be occupied by Leighton Baines, I would see this as further evidence that the England squad is some way below world class. I would also argue that while Lennon's crossing is erratic, his pace provides an exciting outlet otherwise absent in the squad, and his delivery is certainly better than Theo's.

No European team has ever won the World Cup when it was not held on European soil. So I wonder what are Spain's chances?

Sometimes it's great when events prove you wrong. Eto's goal, that's it right there.

If you look back at my earlier post, after the 1st leg at San Zero, I predicted Chel will go down. Chel may have played better at San Zero, but with a weak GK and Jose knowing Chel inside out, I know they will go down.

It's a good point actually re: Ancelotti. He was bought in to win the Champion's League, and unfortunately was knocked out by Mourinho, who, as his press conference showed yesterday, still very much hasn't got over getting sacked by Abramovic for not being successful enough, ie, not winning the Big Cup. Also while getting knocked out of europe will allow them to focus more closely on the domestic league, as leaders it still will be considered theirs for the losing. If either ManU or Arsenal pip them, it is hard to see his position as tenable, considering Roman's past form. So, the return of Hiddink? Defection of Capello? Who has the pedigree to take Chelsea to the next level?

1. Jose's relationship with Roman aint that bad. I recall Roman bought Jose a limited edition Ferrari (was it Spider?) for Jose's birthday when he left Chelsea.

2. With the fixtures left, I bet Arsenal have a stronger chance than Chel or Man U, sad to say. With Villa in good form, Chel may be out of FA Cup too.

3. I don't think Carlo will be sacked. Who will Roman get? Guus is only a temporary measure. He will probably be Turkey coach and Capello? Probably not. Russia pays him more. Chel needs to rebuild with younger players and although Carlo aint impervious like Jose and he will lose, he is their best bet.

Lampard's in decent form, otherwise I'd hardly describe the midfield as an embarrassment of riches. Both Gerrard and Barry have had forgettable seasons, while Carrick's has been almost totally abysmal, and poor Joe Cole, that least English of the whole squad, has regressed steadily since the high point of his career at the world cup four years ago. Milner looks decent but not world class. Lennon looks the only threat, and along with Walcott the only player with the nouse and unpredictability to trouble well drilled defenses, who tend to sit back and soak up England pressure, and wait for the ball to be inevitably given away.

England are generally tactically outsmarted by supposedly inferior teams who allow them to dominate possession until they essentially run out of ideas and gift the ball away. This, added to the huge amount of media pressure behind the team, and coupled with the peculiarly English emphasis on ideas of passion and commitment over tactics and technical ability, mean that until the team can learn to hold on to the ball they will inevitably implode the first time they face challenging opposition. I'm hoping to get good odds on a victory for USA.

well if anyone can, it's capello. and you would think that with half the team's core's experience under european managers, if they can't figure this out now they may never (perhaps your point).

i wouldn't bet on the us v england - our defense isn't good/organized enough not to make a serious mistake at this level. in 8 matches comprising the 08 confed cup and 06 world cup we've had a mind-boggling six red cards.

I never feel fewer patriotic stirrings than during major international tournaments. There's something so English about the team, the supporters and the whole media circus which crystallizes exactly why I feel so deeply skeptical about my own nationality...

very well put

It's a good point actually re: Ancelotti. He was bought in to win the Champion's League, and unfortunately was knocked out by Mourinho, who, as his press conference showed yesterday, still very much hasn't got over getting sacked by Abramovic for not being successful enough, ie, not winning the Big Cup.

mourinho got two bites at the cherry so i would guess ancelotti has another season left. although obviously the special one relishes every little dig he can make about the situation.... "mourinho doesn't lose at stamford bridge" - quality

Since when did getting sent off get mistaken for passion?

I think it's hard to like any footballer these days; probably always was for anyone with half a brain ... I've probably just grown up and wised up.

I've been having this argument with fellow football fans that the average fan has a hell of a bigger interest and love for football than those we follow on the pitch. CRon or even Wazza (or whatever other stupid nickname I can come up with) would not be at home trying to get a stream for Liverpool's latest battle for Champions League football; they'd simply probably have better things to do ... they have the money and free time to and it makes for a serious lack of common ground and connection with fans. It takes a bit away from the enjoyment of footbal l- the genuinely impossible task of finding something to like about the players of the team you're supporting. Anyone over 14 wearing a Premier League top with some "superstar's" name on the back really needs, well,mmmmm, shoot(?!) ...

Suprisingly other people don't seem to agree ...

Arshavin is one player who does seem a little more tolerable ... doesn't take himself to serious, plays like he enjoys the game; also his websites kinda funny. From his questions and answers section:

Hello, Andrey!

Thanks for your game!

I would like to know whether you like cactuses.

Thanks in advance ...

Arshavin: They are prickly; I remember we had them in kindergarten. We also had some at home. I didn’t like them then and I don’t like them now.

Dear AA, having read your answers I’ve got the impression (perhaps I’m wrong) that you are bored of life!

Sincerely, Africa

Arshavin: I find life interesting.

click!

While I understand why Drogs gets a lot of hate, Magnetic is exactly right, both players have an intense desire to win, but also take an infectious pleasure in playing football. I'm automatically predisposed to like a player who takes pleasure simply in playing, and I think this is actually the most enjoyable aspect of both Rooney and Ronaldo's game - both, now they no longer play together, have license to charge all over the pitch, claiming posession at will, simply for the pleasure of having the ball at their feet and terrorising their opponents. It's a quality that's presently shared by Ribery, Robben and Messi, and intermittently this season Ronaldinho and Robinho. Though it pains me to say it, having watched him destroy various Arsenal defences over the last few seasons, it's delightful to see the vigour with which Drogba sets about demolishing agricultural centre backs. To relate that to fatchino's point about disengagement, football is passionately supported by people who make it the central focus of their life. A successful footballer is almost necessarily too distracted by their own wealth and success to inflate football to that level of importance, so the most you can therefore ask is that they play hard an enjoy it. The most frustrating thing for matchday fans is watching superstars, whose massive wages are paid by overinflated gate receipts, not bothering to intervene in the progress of a match. You can slate Drogba for being a drama queen (a trait I personally find quite amusing, reminds me a bit of WWF when I was a kid) but you can't say he doesn't love his football as much as a fan. Not in the same way perhaps, but just as much.

ronaldo is definitely a joy to watch, and mainly because he enjoys what he does so damn much. as for tolerable footballers, i think evra is up there with 'em. always quick to crack a joke, doesn't take himself too seriously, and respects the history of the club he plays for, can't ask for much else.

i'd be willing to argue owen was a good one as well, being a free transfer and mostly paid based on performance. the winning goal in the derby alone was worth it, haha.

a decent case could also be made for valencia, although it may be too early to judge. his crosses have fed a lot of rooney's notorious headers.

True, Valencia is a good player, not sure he's a £16 mil player, but not everyone has a gooner's sense of meanness when it comes to equating value. He definitely gives you width and options. I'd also love to say Berba was a good purchase, since I think he's a lovely player on his day, but it's a bit like signing Veron and his attempts to sign Pirlo, Fergie's got a hankering for a certain kind of player (elegant, slow, thoughtful) that he can't seem to get anything from. Witness the total regression of Carrick, and compare it to the way in which his opposite, Fletcher, has bloomed. I'd actually love to see Ferguson retire to Italy and build a team of cultured ball strokers, far from the stressful pace of the premiership. I reckon he's got it in him.

haha i was contemplating saying berba was a good signing as well, but i guess considering his price tag he can't be considered a "good signing" but rather a decent one. he's definitely fun to watch though, and in my eyes underrated by a large portion of united fans.

that team you mentioned would be more like a performance piece or interpretative dance with a soccer ball, haha. cool video by the way. damn shame it didn't work out, funny how his name is synonymous with flop though, haha, damn shame.

Veron ... what a hero; definitely my type of player. Pure football; technique and 'intelligence' over power and pace. Given my hatred of United one of the few of their ranks I could genuinely admire. Evra would be up there too though.

Guess it's a big part that's plain jealousy that makes me hate the footballers of today ... paid shits loads for doing fuckall of any merit and then lots of them just proving they're assholes.

Thinking about it, if football wasn't a worldwide entertainment business as it currently is I think if someone suggested to me that people should be employed solely for the purpose of playing football I'd laugh it off.

Arsenal for the double's gotta be a worth a punt!

God, that would make me very happy if Fulham went through, always had a bit of a soft spot for them since my godfather to me to the cottage when I was five, my first game. Shame for him I grew up a gooner like everyone else in my part of London. Wish I could watch this, enjoyed the first leg, but off out for dinner. Like everyone else it seems I can't help but wish Roy Hodgeson well.