football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

theyve had a good start to the season, but i don't think it'll last though. adebayor's not gonna keep scoring like this (he doesnt look like a 30 goals per season striker at all), you can't expect/reply on fabregas to keep scoring (5 in 5 games is just too good to be true), eduardo looks completely lost and van persie is sucking the motherload right now. lets not even bother about theo walcott. i've got good money on arsenal's goals drying up. i'd love to see fabregas/denilson develop into one of the best combo's in the middle of the park though.

I think van persie has been converted from a winger to pure striker ala Henry.

But they've got so many players passing and scoring, they need not fear that they will become another Man U.

ronaldinho is going to chelsea!

If indeed Ronnie and Barca are offered that kind of money, Ronnie should just go and cash in on the big pay day. No way AC or Real will pay that kind of money. Same for Kaka.

If Chelsea gets Ronnie (possible), Kaka (hard to do), Alves (achievable) and they already have Alex and Belleti, they would have their own mini Brazil contingent. Hmm.

nah they aint gonna get ronaldinho.

theyve already got marco van basten lined up as their new star striker alongside sheva

Jokes aside, I think they are gonna nab Ronaldinho. The money is too good and Ronnie needs to make his close to final contract the biggest he could earn. Of course, Ronnie may flop like Sheva since his form past season is poor. He will then be Chelsea's biggest albatross and Sheva can breathe a sign of relief.

Barca should sell without batting an eye if Chelsea is willing to pay 70 million pounds for him. Hell, I would sell for 50 million pounds. Of course the one Chelsea should get is Messi.

Jokes aside, I think they are gonna nab Ronaldinho. The money is too good and Ronnie needs to make his close to final contract the biggest he could earn. Of course, Ronnie may flop like Sheva since his form past season is poor. He will then be Chelsea's biggest albatross and Sheva can breathe a sign of relief.

Barca should sell without batting an eye if Chelsea is willing to pay 70 million pounds for him. Hell, I would sell for 50 million pounds. Of course the one Chelsea should get is Messi.

Is it me or do none of the Brazilians ever maintain their form for longer than 2-3 years?

Kaka is doing very well and it doesn't seem like he will stop anytime soon

But AC seems to be going down the toilet domestically after the euphoria of winning Champions League and qualifying for Champions League, although this shouldnt matter once they got 4th place. No matter the form of Kaka. At the rate things are going, Juve and Inter and Roma would be the runaway leaders during Christmas.

Maybe Ancelotti would get sacked and Jose brought in?

Maybe but you have to admit that Kaka is one of the top players in the game right now. I think Chelsea should go for him instead of Ronnie but they have the resources to go for both.

Of course. Thats what I said. Chelsea should take both Ronnie and Kaka. AC won Champions League last year in no small part due to him. In the finals, Mascherano shut him down but within 10 minutes of Mascherano being substituted for Crouch, Kaka made a killer pass to Inzaghi who scored what turned out to be the winning goal.

Kaka is emphatically not for sale. Real tried recently but failed. But if Chelsea is willing to offer 70 to 80 million pounds? Hmm.

Anyway where would they fit Kaka in Chelsea? Would he be roaming free behind the lead striker, Drogba? Does that mean they will dump SWP?

Everyone is for sale, 70 - 80 million and I'll drive Gerrard down to London myself.

I have no idea how Chelsea would play under new coach but if they play Drogba alone up top they can have Kaka on the right. SWP already has his favorite seat on the bench so I don't think he would mind. Now I think that if Ronnie or Kaka would come Fat Frank would leave and so would that overpriced German.

I think getting Ronaldinho is a mistake but I would love to see him play against some knobheaded defenders from Everton or Blackburn. Just look at Torres getting his ass kicked in every game, I don't think princess Ronaldinho could handle that.

Everyone is for sale, 70 - 80 million and I'll drive Gerrard down to London myself.

I have no idea how Chelsea would play under new coach but if they play Drogba alone up top they can have Kaka on the right. SWP already has his favorite seat on the bench so I don't think he would mind. Now I think that if Ronnie or Kaka would come Fat Frank would leave and so would that overpriced German.

I think getting Ronaldinho is a mistake but I would love to see him play against some knobheaded defenders from Everton or Blackburn. Just look at Torres getting his ass kicked in every game, I don't think princess Ronaldinho could handle that.

1. Ronnie's buy out clause is 85 million quid. I think Abramovich is crazy enough to fork that amount and pay Ronnie 233,000 pounds a week but his gloom will deepen if Ronnie still cant find his form. I dont know if they offer Barca below 85 million, will Barca sell Ronnie. If I were Barca, I would say yes in a second. Hell, I would sell for 50 million even which would make it a world transfer record.

2. SWP has increased in Jose's estimation this season. Last 2 seasons, first winger is Robben, second is Cole, third would be Duff. Even last season, SWP only played as a sub and did not do well despite Cole's and Robben's injuries. This season, he started many matches and looked good.

But 4 wingers are too many. They will keep Malouda who is a tough and hard player to break and Cole who can be inventive and 'Brazilian' at times. So SWP will go.

3. I remember Ronnie was bitching about how Chelsea's defender were tackling him around the ankles and caused him so much pain. It will be interesting to see how he copes. Ronaldo seems to be coping well against defenders who hack him down because they cant catch him.

4. As for Lampard, they will need a Makelele role midfielder, no way they will dump Essien. No way they will dump Lampard given how bad they are playing now without him. So maybe Sidwell and Ballack. Sidwell really looks poor and out of his league in Chelsea. Bet he will be gone end of season. Of all the transfers this season, he looks the most ineffective.

5. As for Gerrard, I recall they were poaching him big time 2 to 3 seasons ago. But after seeing how bad he plays with Lampard for England and how bad Lampard plays with other attacking midfielder like Ballack. I think they scrapped the idea of buying him now they got Essien. Gerrard would be a good replacement for Lampard though.

whats with all the big named solutions... ...

im surprised that most people havent realised by now that brazilians just dont do well in the epl. in fact most south americans don't.

kleberson, baptista, anderson(up to this point in time he's sucking big time), edu, roque junior, rochemback, branco, aurelio...

all of them played (play) terribly during their time in the epl, and left soon after.

juan pablo angel came with a big rep and failed to produce, diego forlan came and went, mascherano hasn't done anything to up liverpool's play, and tevez is clearly out of place in the united set up.

there have been the exceptions...gilberto has been pretty solid, juninho did pretty well whilst at middlesbrough, faustino asprilla did alright, and denilson looks set to be a monster in the middle of the park next to fabregas. but the majority of them fail to fit in with english soccer.

so the question is, do you really want to pay so much for a player whom although world reknowned, probably has a high chance of fucking up due to culture and the style of football.

honestly i think chelsea need to do away with the idea of superstar players. ballack and shevchenko have been completely useless, and the only other two really big names are terry and lampard - who became stars whilst playing at chelski.

drogba, cech, makelele, robben - all key signings who weren't that famous when they were signed.

man~ EPL is just awesome. 11 goals in Portsmouth - Reading

Birmingham was amazing vs Man U. Their passing flow was so full of confidence, such a delight to watch. A shame they didn't even get a much deserved draw.

Yup. I have not watched Birmingham played this season but they certainly looked better 2 seasons ago when they were relegated. They took the game to Man U, the same 11 Chelsea sucked against, although Birmingham did played at home.

whats with all the big named solutions... ...

im surprised that most people havent realised by now that brazilians just dont do well in the epl. in fact most south americans don't.

kleberson, baptista, anderson(up to this point in time he's sucking big time), edu, roque junior, rochemback, branco, aurelio...

all of them played (play) terribly during their time in the epl, and left soon after.

juan pablo angel came with a big rep and failed to produce, diego forlan came and went, mascherano hasn't done anything to up liverpool's play, and tevez is clearly out of place in the united set up.

there have been the exceptions...gilberto has been pretty solid, juninho did pretty well whilst at middlesbrough, faustino asprilla did alright, and denilson looks set to be a monster in the middle of the park next to fabregas. but the majority of them fail to fit in with english soccer.

so the question is, do you really want to pay so much for a player whom although world reknowned, probably has a high chance of fucking up due to culture and the style of football.

honestly i think chelsea need to do away with the idea of superstar players. ballack and shevchenko have been completely useless, and the only other two really big names are terry and lampard - who became stars whilst playing at chelski.

drogba, cech, makelele, robben - all key signings who weren't that famous when they were signed.

1. Agreed with your point on Brazillians in BPL. I recall Baptista complaining how fast paced it was & the moment he gets the ball, someone is charging down at him. Also, the refereeing standard is laxer in BPL. Tackles in BPL, you dont see the same in other leagues.

2. Drogba was in the lower leagues in France. Robben & Kezman were already getting some buzz in PSV whereas Makelele was actually the fulcrum holding Real's defence but he was let go due to Beckham coming in. When that happened, Real's defence is in shambles even until now.

True that Ballack & Sheva are completely useless. In the match against Fulham, Sheva was booed whenever he screwed up with his passes and tackes. Drogba had the same problems but I dont see anyone booing him. They should just loan Sheva out so he can regain his confidence.

saying players like makalele and robben were not known players until chelsea signed them is straight up ignorant.. Actually a player like Makalele probably held even more fame when he played in madrid. about ronaldhino i dont understand why chelsea would like to take the risk on getting him possibly benching him together w/ ballack and sheva etc but by all means, maybe big sam could scoop some of them for cheap when they hit the sale.

and the only other two really big names are terry and lampard - who became stars whilst playing at chelski.

Hmm, dont think these 2 are the only really big names.

Cech, Makelele, Joe Cole, Essien, Carvalho are also big names and if they leave Chelsea, big clubs will poach them.

In a way, many of them owe a debt to Mourinho. Thanks to Chelsea's stingy defence, Terry became England captain. Lampard became a 20 goal a season midfielder. Even Robben was sold to Real for more than 20 million pounds. Something I didnt think is possible given his injuries and bad form. Cech is compared to Buffon as the best goal keeper in the world, but his goals conceded record is now not good at all. Carvalho is big enough to be offered a deal by Real.

... maybe big sam could scoop some of them for cheap when they hit the sale.

The Toon already have too many strikers ... Viduka, Owen, Martins and Ameobi ... oh yeah and the striker that never was, Alan Smith. The man who couldn't score up front so they decided he was a midfielder ... now a winger ... thing is he seems to be at his most creative when tackling(?!?) That midfield is drastically uncreative. Milner is forced to cut back on his right foot 75% of the time on the left hand side, while Geremi's about the only player in there who has the ability to hit any range of passes.

Butt ... Butt angers me.

Ameobi's done well when called on in the past few seasons but I'm sure he won't get a chance as it'll be big man little man/ 3 up top for most of the season. Viduka is looking key, yet unforunately also old. Plus I'm sure Martins didn't join from Inter to sit on the bench in Tyneside.

... At least the thug that is Joey barton won't be back for another 1 month.

Can see Chelsea giving Ballack another chance in midfield ... maybe he'll up his work rather and start scoring a few.

Jol out by christmas ... too many goals conceded and unhappy strikers; whether he wanted them or not.

I don't understand why Big Sam doesn't start Martins. He assists and scores...what reason is there to not start him?

Viduka is such a pivotal figure in the toons camp. Passes are sprayed around by HIM, not the midfield!

Jol is an obvious bye once the Spurs board confirms a replacement.

The Toon already have too many strikers ... Viduka, Owen, Martins and Ameobi ... oh yeah and the striker that never was, Alan Smith. The man who couldn't score up front so they decided he was a midfielder ... now a winger ... thing is he seems to be at his most creative when tackling(?!?) That midfield is drastically uncreative. Milner is forced to cut back on his right foot 75% of the time on the left hand side, while Geremi's about the only player in there who has the ability to hit any range of passes.

Butt ... Butt angers me.

Ameobi's done well when called on in the past few seasons but I'm sure he won't get a chance as it'll be big man little man/ 3 up top for most of the season. Viduka is looking key, yet unforunately also old. Plus I'm sure Martins didn't join from Inter to sit on the bench in Tyneside.

... At least the thug that is Joey barton won't be back for another 1 month.

Can see Chelsea giving Ballack another chance in midfield ... maybe he'll up his work rather and start scoring a few.

Jol out by christmas ... too many goals conceded and unhappy strikers; whether he wanted them or not.

1. Just saw Spurs 4-4 draw with Villa. The way Spurs celebrated getting the 4th goal and 1 point is ridiculous. Its like they won the BPL. If their standard is so low (ie. drawing with Villa at home. Not like drawing Bayern Munich away in UEFA Cup), you know they dont deserve to crack the top 4.

Spurs are leaking goals like no one's business and their strike force aren't getting enough goals. Jol should go. Its just that Levy cant find a good enough replacement at the short term.

2. With Lamps injured, Ballack could have stepped up and started scoring. That will make him indispensable and a replacement for Lamps. Too bad Ballack is still injured.

3. Newcastle? Even with Owen injured again, goals shouldnt' be a problem and they have enough inventive players in midfield to control the game. Yet they seem to be backsliding.

fatchino, i think you misunderstood me heh. in 'when they hit the sale' doesn't mean now. and let's face it.. like you say, viduka isn't going to play forever, i highly doubt alan smith was bought with the intention of playing striker and who really have high hopes about owen staying clear of injuries(!?). as for newcastle being uncreative. yeah, i get your sayin. i wish there could perhaps be a better balance but i also have to admit i enjoy midfielders like butt and smith that shreds the field and goes into a battle 100% every time. i am looking forward to barton comes back. hopefully he'll add more creativity :)

fatchino, i think you misunderstood me heh. in 'when they hit the sale' doesn't mean now. and let's face it.. like you say, viduka isn't going to play forever, i highly doubt alan smith was bought with the intention of playing striker and who really have high hopes about owen staying clear of injuries(!?). as for newcastle being uncreative. yeah, i get your sayin. i wish there could perhaps be a better balance but i also have to admit i enjoy midfielders like butt and smith that shreds the field and goes into a battle 100% every time. i am looking forward to barton comes back. hopefully he'll add more creativity :)

Big Sam made some great purchases by getting over the hill players into Bolton and from there turning Bolton into a UEFA cup contention team which turned the Reebok into a fortress, though they consistently crashed to Man U at home. They also turned off fans who did not like Sam's style of play.

In Newcastle, they expected Sam to make great buys. So who did he get? Alan Smith, Viduka, Geremi, Barton. Some middle tier players but not exactly setting Newcastle on fire. Seems like Sven and Redknapp are still masters of the transfer market.

I'd agree that Smith wasn't bought to play up front. I just don't rate him at all as a player ... find it hard to rate any player who's failed at his preferred position only to be shipped out of the top four to try to make it in midfield.

Personally I liked the sound of the Emre/ Parker pairing at the start of 2006/2007 but that never worked out. Can remember about one game Emre really shone ... a Roeder saving performance against Reading around Christmas. Definitely isn't a Big Sam player so i reckon he'll be off to Turkey, maybe Germany/ Italy sometime soon; unforunately.

As for Geremi and Viduka ... good free transfers. Geremi good worker decent passer etc ... I could see him doing the good Butt is supposed to do (midfield hasn't offered enough defensive protection) while adding more creatively. Rozethal looks a good buy too; strong pacey definitely a good build for the Premiership.

Barton's a gamble if i ever saw one. But he does seem like a Bolton-esque type player. Could all backfire on Allardyce though.

I can't understand Sam's input to Fleet Street though at all ... picking fights with Arsene and Rafa ... using the literary titan that is Zoo to do it. Lost on me.

i would like to announce my appearance, and again commend you all on some top-notch footy conversation

but i refuse to speak until bloody Spurs fixes up...

as you were.... :)