football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Mourinho leaves Chelsea, it's absurd and amusing at the same time.

Oh my. I am amazed Jose is sacked or resigned after 1 month of EPL.

Granted getting 2 draws and 1 loss is a bad result but really Villa outsmarted Chelsea like what Boro did in Riverside a year ago by bombarding Carvalho with high balls and playing 4-5-1. Chelsea outplayed all 3 teams but simply could not convert chances. So whose fault is it? Jose or Kalou, Sheva, SWP, Cole, Drogba et al?

Looking for the next permanent Chelsea manager would be as difficult as England looking for Sven's replacement. And look who they ended up with? McClaren who is for sure a seat-warmer and cannot be ranked as a top club manager much less a national manager. Who would want to take the Chelsea job which demands trophies every year including 2 Champion League Trophy in 5 years? Not only that, you must play with the flair Abramovich wants.

Jose can sit out for 1 year plus and get his fat pay or move to Spurs or even Barca. Maybe Juve, Inter or Real if their coaches flops.

For sure, Chelsea wouldnt win EPL this year or Champions League. I cant see Grant being so bold as to play 3 in the back and throw in 4 strikers to get a win like what Jose is crazy enough to do. Also, the players wont respect Grant. Grant would probably play Sheva every match to please Abramovich. That will make Sheva the target man and Drogba scooping up the balls deeper in-field. Even more problems. Plus Lampard who have not even signed an extension may just walk out.

Given the way, everyone is playing, Arsenal is a strong bet to win EPL provided the kids can handle the rough play away. Man U and Liverpool a close second. Chelse a third.

There are few good coaches available, I can think of two italians and a german.

bye bye jose

4GMu1K1926c

Who are you referring to? Capello and Klinsmann and Lippi?.

Chelsea wont take Capello because he was sacked by Real for playing Jose's style of football. No doubt Capello if he does come in, would be interesting. Putting aside his lack of English, he has a track record of winning league titles with many clubs but not in EPL. The Chelsea core is still strong enough to win and Capello can do it. Not sure whether he can win Champions League though although he is familiar with the Italian and Spanish style of playing.

Klinsmann did make Germany play sexy football but I wonder whether he can succeed on the club level?

Italy didnt exactly play sexy football enroute to winning the World Cup. Anyway, Lippi's Italian world champions seems to be slowly disintegrating.

Expected better play from them. Barca could easily bury at least 2 more.

Next gameweek will be interesting.

Man U v Roma (Revenge game for Roma)

Chelski v Valencia (Lampard and Drobga back, but without Jose)

If Ronaldo hits top form, cant see Roma getting revenge. Roma wont beat Man U. They are too shell-shocked. The best they can hope for is a draw at home and they will be petrified once they go Old Trafford.

Drogba's injury may take some time to heal. Its not clear what is the exact knee injury. If he needs surgery, you can kiss Drogba goodbye for the next few months. Anyway both would need time to hit top form.

Chelsea may just crash at home, which would make Chelsea's second home loss in all competitions since Jose took over and this to another Spanish team. Jose would be gloating while watching on TV.

Nani is amazing, anderson is sick but he never does anything while on the pitch..Tevez needs to wake up..and score more cuz he's a beast once he's in mode..They really should put in Ji sung park cuz that man knows how to work the ball

Nani is stil very raw like Ronaldo in the beginning. Passes and shots all over the place. But once in a while his strikes are splendid like in his solitary goal.

Tevez is working hard. Hopefully he will score sooner than when he was in West Ham.

Park is injured but Park is really a stop gap winger because Man U at that time couldnt find top class wingers thanks to Chelsea.

With Ronaldo in top form, Nani in the picture and Giggs playing at the right side but not really a right winger and Anderson who can also play as a winger but he probably will not be playing midfield because Man U have too many midfielders, Park would be sold once Nani and Anderson gets in the run of things.

Park still have not impressed in Man U unlike when he was in PSV and ran down the whole of AC in one Champions League match.

My gut tells me Jose's going to end up Italy or Spain. Unless he gets on some revenge tip I doubt he'll want to stay in England. The logical choice would be a team that is sitting in 6-4th spot in a league that needs someone to come and shake things up for the better for INSTANT results.

I'm sad about Jose leaving tho. Chelsea are 'my' team... even though I was pissed about The Russian coming in the first place... the years with Zola et all were the best in recent memory...

Man Utd against Sporting were really really dull to watch. The first half put me to sleep. They need a central midfield player who can bring the authority they need.

Barca were beautiful to watch, especially in the first half. I was just in awe of their ability... reminded me of Argentina during the Copa America where you just can't believe how good they all are individually and as a team.

My gut tells me Jose's going to end up Italy or Spain. Unless he gets on some revenge tip I doubt he'll want to stay in England. The logical choice would be a team that is sitting in 6-4th spot in a league that needs someone to come and shake things up for the better for INSTANT results.

Barca were beautiful to watch, especially in the first half. I was just in awe of their ability... reminded me of Argentina during the Copa America where you just can't believe how good they all are individually and as a team.

Yup. A desperate club will come in and swoop Jose and offer him the big bucks. We have to see who cannot live up to expectations. Inter or Barca or Spurs?

I am very surprised Chelsea actually paid Jose for the entire duration of his contract.

I thought they will do like Sven and pay him normally and for Sven to sit at home unable to take the next job and wait for Sven to quit. Guess it shows how desperate Abramovich wants Jose out. And only a few days after Kenyon was saying how great Jose is and how much Jose is a winner like Ferguson.

Who knows, Jose may end up in Man U should Ferguson really retire shortly. Queiroz is a fair cry from Jose. Arsenal wont take him because if Wenger goes, Fabregas, Van Persie et all will go. Liverpool for Jose? Very odd unless Benitez really flop despite this years' big signings.

If you think Barca plays flowing football, you should keep an eye for Arsenal.

So the new rumour is that the buyout had a clause where Jose is not allowed to coach a EPL team... hhmm... but is Barca really in need of Jose? I honestly think they don't.

If you think Barca plays flowing football, you should keep an eye for Arsenal.

BUT Arse-Anal are a bunch of whining cry babies who think they are god's greatest gift to the game. Yeah they can play well at times but they play with the stench of arrogance that is disgusting.

So the new rumour is that the buyout had a clause where Jose is not allowed to coach a EPL team... hhmm... but is Barca really in need of Jose? I honestly think they don't..

That must be true because even Jose admits his next job will not be in England.

But Jose got a great deal. He got all his money now and can get another job provided European clubs want to hire him. Chelsea could have stuck it to him by paying him monthly and he has to sit at home until the contract expires. That will force him to break his contract and save Chelsea a bundle when he does that. Only downside: Jose wont get any bonus for Chelsea winning trophies.

I saw the Man U-Chelsea match. I cant recall Chelsea ever playing so badly in a big match. Even when they were playing Barcelona and dominated by Barcelona in terms of possession, at least they were still attacking.

Against Man U which they have played against innumerable times, they played like they were overawed. Of course Avram Grant can argue Mike Dean's sending off of Mikel and other bad decisions resulted in them losing 2-0, but the fact is that they played poorly. Misplaced passes and Man U even comfortably sat 4 to 5 at the back before Van der Sar and use the remainder of their players to harrass Chelsea to no end. Really poor effort and Grant really looked way way out of his league.

Plus John Terry the turncoat screwed up again. Tevez was not covered by Terry resulting in the goal. The same happened in the Rosenborg match. Chelsea have been conceding way too many goals despitem Terry and Makelele being present. Is Carvalho such a huge factor?

2 losses and 2 draws already. Chelsea wont win the league, they wont win FA Cup or Champions League. Maybe League Cup but I think they got Aston Villa next so they can kiss that goodbye too. Jose must be laughing his head off somewhere.

Crap I was bummed I missed the match last night, but from all reports it was pathetic. Jose IS LAUGHING all the way to the bank.

I want him to take over an Italian club and just stick it to the EPL.

The best revenge Jose can take is to manage another Champions League Club, (Sevilla? Roma? Lazio?) and beat Chelsea (in quarters or semis) enroute to another Champion League Trophy with Abramovich in attendance in freezing Moscow for the finals.

Who wants to bet Avram Grant would get the sack before the season ends, provided Chelsea can find a capable replacement. For the reasons I said earlier, unless Abramovich is willing to pay silly money like 8 to 9 million pounds a year less bonus, many will be wary to bite.

Speaking of coaches without teams... where's Gérard Houllier coaching if anywhere? Watching Lyon the other night was terrible... 2-3 years ago Lyon were one of the best teams to watch in Europe - the amount of attacking ability rivals the current Barca team.

GO ARSENAL!! so excited about arsenal this year. when henry left over the summer i thought they were going to have an off year, but it seems that it's opened things up for adebayour and the rest of the guys. and fabregas is on fire right now. one of the top midfielders in the world right now. can't see anyone in the premier league beating them except for maybe liverpool, or man united if they get healthier.

BUT ________ are a bunch of whining cry babies who think they are god's greatest gift to the game. Yeah they can play well at times but they play with the stench of arrogance that is disgusting.

you could pretty much apply this to the top six in both italy and spain

and the gunners whine a lot less, imo

GO ARSENAL!! so excited about arsenal this year. when henry left over the summer i thought they were going to have an off year, but it seems that it's opened things up for adebayour and the rest of the guys. and fabregas is on fire right now. one of the top midfielders in the world right now. can't see anyone in the premier league beating them except for maybe liverpool, or man united if they get healthier.

Adebayor still looks like a work in progress.

Their 1-1 draw away at Blackburn shows they could still be susceptible to teams which play hard against them away. The likes of Everton, Blackburn, Middleborough, Portsmouth etc can do it. Wenger should be happy Allardyce is no longer at Bolton. If they can conquer that weakness, they will do well, if not, another year without trophies. Last season, Arsenal jam packed their midfield and outplayed Man U twice and beat Liverpool 3 times convincing before crashing away at Anfield.

I agree on Adebayor needing more improvements in various deparments for him to be a reliable striker. He seem so off at times. It's hard to not score from the quantity/quality of supply from the midfield and wingbacks.

Arsenal can't play against physical sides...which is the main reason why they're not doing well in previous seasons. When Vieira was there, he handled everything. Gilberto Silva/Flamini do a decent job, but don't cut it imo. 70 million pounds of transfer budget solves everything though.

I agree on Adebayor needing more improvements in various deparments for him to be a reliable striker. He seem so off at times. It's hard to not score from the quantity/quality of supply from the midfield and wingbacks.

Arsenal can't play against physical sides...which is the main reason why they're not doing well in previous seasons. When Vieira was there, he handled everything. Gilberto Silva/Flamini do a decent job, but don't cut it imo. 70 million pounds of transfer budget solves everything though.

Drogba was like that when he first arrived. Arsene must hope Adebayor would turn into a Droba instead of a Kanu. The latter and Adebayor are both tall and lanky. But if Adebayor is injured or suspended, they lack a point man unless Arsene use Walcott or Eduardo.

Yup. Flamini and Silva cant handle physical teams well unlike Viera. We have to see whether Arsenal will get bullied this season or not. If so, they can kiss EPL goodbye but still can bid for Champions League. I am surprised Silva didnt become captain when Henry left. He filled in capably for Henry when Henry was injured. He must be pissed when he was passed over for Gallas who in his short term in Arsenal bad mouthed the team and Toure who is less experienced than Silva.

Arsene wont use the money to buy big name players. I think he is reluctant to even spend on Ribiery who was linked with Arsenal. He wont buy older players. His trend is to sell players reaching their 30s so he can make some money off them. He would buy young players with potential like Nani and Anderson and Ronaldo. Maybe he will buy Kaka 2 from Weider Bremen, Diego. Snejder from Real looks good too.

theyve had a good start to the season, but i don't think it'll last though. adebayor's not gonna keep scoring like this (he doesnt look like a 30 goals per season striker at all), you can't expect/reply on fabregas to keep scoring (5 in 5 games is just too good to be true), eduardo looks completely lost and van persie is sucking the motherload right now. lets not even bother about theo walcott. i've got good money on arsenal's goals drying up. i'd love to see fabregas/denilson develop into one of the best combo's in the middle of the park though.