football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Man, aaron lennon can run like nothing Ive seen before.

Technically, I dont think theres anyone as gifted as ronaldinho. Gerrard plays with the most passion and determination. Zidane was one of the most calm plays I've ever seen(Remember his champs league final goal?) Ronaldo is a legend imo, he was doing the flip flop before ronaldinho made it famous. Without Casillas, I think Real madrid would have been relegated. Every player has a little bit of something, Its tough to say who the best player is

^ yeah but ronaldo back then had the moves as well, he still scores a lot, i mean scored like 104 in 180 matches for real, that's a lot. but nowadays he's just waiting for a chance to come to him cause he's to fat to move

yeah, remember when he used to be fast??? but to me, zidane just did MORE, made everyone playing around him better (except Thierry Henry until last summers world cup). teh champions league play in 2001, the utter dominance of Euro 2000, his play for Real in 2003. sometimes watching him reminded me of watching Magic Johnson, just knew exactly where the ball should be exactly when, and would just do it himself if need be. total control.

and mass, i agree about the bergkamp goal. i still remember exactly where i was, and where i was sitting when i saw that goal, just incredible.

player with the greatest potential?

1.wayne rooney

pghK4CRBEdI

the best thing about this goal is second before this, rooney was booked and he was arguing with the referee coz he had jsut been bookoed. if you look closely, you can see he ref in the shot

also scored a hat trick on his champions league debut at 18 or something

2.christiano ronaldo

re tricks and shit with a football, in the top 3.

plus good in the air. my prediction for young footballer of the year this year

no idea where this video is from though

2z3_uwQsUvY

In terms of potential to carry a team and make players click together, my vote goes to Fabregas.

Fabregas is playing very well, but I'm still amazed by how the Spanish team fails to perform with so many good players. Where is the Fabregas effect in his national squad?

In the meantime, let's hear it for Dennis..

9LZi3AVg07M

i think he's retiring at the end of the season. he's still handsome though.

and you can't deny he definitely shone this past world cup.

no doubt. he was a great player, and if they'd ever had a decent stirker on the national team, they could have won a major competition (maybe Euro 2002) and we'd be talking about him along with other all-time great midfielders IMO.

def. some of the best hair in the game as well.

^haha thnx for those

so to catch up on past weekend: Ronaldinho on top form again, woow he was good. great free kick, powerful header and some great moves including the assist on giuly who somehow managed to get a header over an empty goal from about 50 cm.

arsenal-wigan, great match. wigan looking good and keeping the 1-0 lead for a long time. henry did great after that and haha making fun of the wigan goalie after the equaliser. and a great pass by adebayor which led to the 2-1 by rosicky.

in holland, ajax very lucky,again, against den haag, 2-1 victory, huntelaar finally scoring again. psv with a very bad performance and a draw against sparta, good goal by medunjanin from sparta.

oh and beckham scoring a nice free kick and vantheman with his 11th to give real a win for a change.

man utd then, rooney with a brilliant move, great control when recieving the ball and then send two defenders in the wrong direction (and headbutting eachother haha) but missing the finish, good game though and rooney's assist on fletcher was good to.

^haha thnx for those

so to catch up on past weekend: Ronaldinho on top form again, woow he was good. great free kick, powerful header and some great moves including the assist on giuly who somehow managed to get a header over an empty goal from about 50 cm.

arsenal-wigan, great match. wigan looking good and keeping the 1-0 lead for a long time. henry did great after that and haha making fun of the wigan goalie after the equaliser. and a great pass by adebayor which led to the 2-1 by rosicky.

in holland, ajax very lucky,again, against den haag, 2-1 victory, huntelaar finally scoring again. psv with a very bad performance and a draw against sparta, good goal by medunjanin from sparta.

oh and beckham scoring a nice free kick and vantheman with his 11th to give real a win for a change.

man utd then, rooney with a brilliant move, great control when recieving the ball and then send two defenders in the wrong direction (and headbutting eachother haha) but missing the finish, good game though and rooney's assist on fletcher was good to.

yeah, what was henry doing holding the ball in front of the goalie to see? was he pissed he wasted so much time?

^ you wish man;) still 3 points clear, and ajax luck won't last forever, they're rapidly using everything atm. ado was very unlucky conceding the goal with the mistake by the keeper, else they would've still had the spirit to fight for the game.

btw what do you think of our play-off system? i think it's fucking retarded and defeating the whole purpose of the league.

Actually I didn't see ADO-Ajax but I read that Ajax had a lot of chances but they had trouble scoring. Missed chance at open goal by Babel and header on the upright by Huntelaar.. what gives? Sounds like the Danny Blind era all over again.

I'm really looking forward to Arsenal - PSV. Hope they do well. I think Ajax will be cleaned up by W Bremen (hope not).

The person who was responsible for introducing the play-off system should be shot! What a useless idea.

I'd be interested to know how many people writing in this thread aren't just armchair fans.

For example, having been at the Manure game at the weekend, the reason it was a 'good game' was my team, lowly Charlton, went up there looking for a result, not playing to keep the score down. We had chances too. As we did against Chelsea the week before.

Rooney's control, awareness and ability is frightening though. As is his 'pace'. It's like watching a barrel rolling down a hill. Takes ages to get going but by Christ you aren't gonna stand in its way.

Credit to the gooners for leaving it late and breaking Wigan hearts too. Also good to see Henry histrionics. He should wear pigtails he's such a girl.