football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

this thread will be always better than the other football thread :P

last call to join! if you beat me i'll say you're my mama

renewed the old FPL league. the league number to join is:

241674-327394

there's no wager or anything but many of you on the thread probably has a team anyway so why not add an extra one.

fantasy.premierleague.com

With seasons now starting throughout Europe as well as the Champions League, if you guys need any download links to any match, (France, Germany, Italy, England, Spain, Russia), PM me. I have an account w/ hotfile as well, so quick d/l speeds! HD, too.

Thought I'd add to this. In 2007, World Soccer and the Daily Telegraph established the top 20 matches ever. Matches from 1950-2006, W.Germany vs Hungary w/ H. Puskas, Bobby Charlton vs Franz Beckenbauer in the 66' WC Final, Socrates vs Platini, a youthful 38 year old Sir Stanley Matthews... etc. If you guys are curious, message me. 

Edited by joeyod007

ya i heard the opening day went well bar a couple blips. i wish we got it in canada, the coverage here on saturdays is good but its split between multiple channels so its not continuous like what NBC provides (i think?). sundays is better we get a feed from the UK, but for some reason my local cable company doesn't provide HD. I've heard the MOD program isn't the greatest, i heard it lacked analysis, or post match interviews or something.. i do really like robbie earle though.

Did anyone catch Chelsea/Aston Villa???

And if so, are you guys bothered by the blatant referee bias in the Premier League? As someone who's jumping on the NBC bandwagon and trying to pay attention to the sport somewhat, it's really off-putting. All of those calls in the second half were pretty obvious. I've basically noticed it to one degree or another in just about every match I've seen (which is like three but still). What gives???????

I guess a certain degree of referee bias is always part of the game. Could be that refs are told or just feel like they should protect the more technically gifted players, could be they're just influenced by the big names. 

In a way, it almost adds to the drama and narrative of the contest by incorporating flawed human nature?! It leaves room for unfair disadvantages, poetic justice, dramatic turnarounds, etc. Same goes for the resistance against goal line technology (which was introduced in the PL this season), or the fact that nobody knows exactly when a match ends (injury time is up to the ref), which might seem a bit bizarre if you think about it from the outside. With goal-line tech, there would be no such thing as the 1966 Wembley-goal, or its counterpart in 2010, nothing for people to remember, grudge, and argue about. It's almost liek a greek tragedy...

I might be wrong, but isn't that also a difference to most sports popular in the U.S.? 

Edited by digitalmountain

I watched the second half, (not too closely though), Villa were definetly unlucky. It always seems there is a particular bias towards the top four, especially if they're playing at home. But, its not as if referee don't have poor games as well, right. I guess they say matches like this even themselves out over the course of the season, I dont know how true that is though.

What I dont like and find really frustrating is how protective the FA is of refs. You can't be critical of them at all. First game of the season Ian Holloways already been charged.. Whatever that means, a fine or a suspension. Think back to United vs Chelsea, last season, and that whole Mark Clattenburg affair. But everything is so hush-hush, you can't say anything, and the refs aren't questioned either. Peronally, I would love to see the refs mic'd, like in rugby. I guess Football, especially within the FA, is run by such traditionalists, it'll always be difficult implementing new ideas... like DigitalMountain said about the struggle to get goal line technology into play. 

Edited by joeyod007

Did anyone catch Chelsea/Aston Villa???

And if so, are you guys bothered by the blatant referee bias in the Premier League? As someone who's jumping on the NBC bandwagon and trying to pay attention to the sport somewhat, it's really off-putting. All of those calls in the second half were pretty obvious. I've basically noticed it to one degree or another in just about every match I've seen (which is like three but still). What gives???????

Nothing to get too worked up about — like in other sports (e.g. basketball) the refs can have an influence on the game.

I might be wrong, but isn't that also a difference to most sports popular in the U.S.? 

The biggest difference was lack of technology-assisted decisions but thankfully the goal line technology is finally being implemented which should fix some of the more blatant mistakes. Two other noticeable differences are the general lack of respect from football players to the referees and the absence of official on-field challenges to referee decisions. FIFA should clamp down on the players ganging up and crowding the referee trying to influence his decisions. Only the Captains should be allowed to speak or even step close to the referees and captains/coaches should be given ~3 opportunities per game to request a referee decision be reviewed on the replay monitor. That would reduce a lot of the tension that a referee could easily ruin a game.

That aside, football referees aren't so bad. The football handegg referee strike last year revealed how even the NFL can be susceptible to bad referees. Watch any basketball playoff game and you'll see fans of both teams complaining that the refs are giving too many/few fouls and free throws. Football referees have a challenging job; The Guardian runs an interesting strip You are the Ref that's worth a look.

Nothing to get too worked up about — like in other sports (e.g. basketball) the refs can have an influence on the game.

The biggest difference was lack of technology-assisted decisions but thankfully the goal line technology is finally being implemented which should fix some of the more blatant mistakes. Two other noticeable differences are the general lack of respect from football players to the referees and the absence of official on-field challenges to referee decisions. FIFA should clamp down on the players ganging up and crowding the referee trying to influence his decisions. Only the Captains should be allowed to speak or even step close to the referees and captains/coaches should be given ~3 opportunities per game to request a referee decision be reviewed on the replay monitor. That would reduce a lot of the tension that a referee could easily ruin a game.

That aside, football referees aren't so bad. The football handegg referee strike last year revealed how even the NFL can be susceptible to bad referees. Watch any basketball playoff game and you'll see fans of both teams complaining that the refs are giving too many/few fouls and free throws. Football referees have a challenging job; The Guardian runs an interesting strip You are the Ref that's worth a look.

some refs can be easily influenced by the home crowd or players. it takes a ton of composure to block out all the shit going on and stay level headed and keep control of the game. players have no fear of the referees or respect. they know if they gang up, the ref isn't going to just yellow and/or red card them all, but in order for things to change they need to have that fear of a major consequence. sadly, it's built up so much over the years it's just part of the culture now and FIFA, UEFA etc are too afraid and conservative to do anything to bring the game out of the 19th century. that's one thing i notice that's different in american sports. they really have close to zero tolerance for that stuff and refs are quick as hell to throw someone out and it's kept players more in check. only problem is they don't have to play a man down if someone is ejected so the balance of the game isn't as affected even if it's an important player that gets thrown out.

btw, i just passed the test to renew my reffing license today. been like 10 years since i was certified. bought my first car back in the day with reffing money, doing 8-10 games a weekend at this big 12-field complex that always had tournaments going.

Honestly American sports are generally pretty regulated about referee bias (at least comparatively). In Premier League is seems to be almost assumed that referees are going to give questionable decisions to the elite squads. They couldn't get away with this sort of systemic favoritism in the world of instant review and referee challenges.

Honestly American sports are generally pretty regulated about referee bias (at least comparatively). In Premier League is seems to be almost assumed that referees are going to give questionable decisions to the elite squads. They couldn't get away with this sort of systemic favoritism in the world of instant review and referee challenges.

Actually research has shown bias in most American sports: handegg and baseball, basketball (NBA & NCAA). Research has even shown racial bias! However I agree that American sports don't take kindly to bias (e.g. MLB using the QuesTec review systems) while FIFA takes it for granted with a view best summed up by: "Statisticians think justice is everything. But randomness and noise create uncertainty of outcome, which is one of the appeals of sport." Bah humbug, I like randomness in football but I want that from the players not the ref.

Alright here's a conundrum: The stereotype in the Premier League is that 'foreigners' are divers and cheats while the local lads don't play the game that way (despite evidence to the contrary). Luis Suarez came to England with reputation for being a cheat, a reputation he's proved to be well deserved. Meanwhile Gareth Bale, under the spotlight last due to superb performances that eventually won him all the Premier League Player of the Year awards, was accused of being a diver. Indeed Bale received the most yellow cards for diving and Spurs wasn't given a penalty in the PL last season! Meanwhile Suarez earned the most penalties for his team out of all the players in the PL. What gives?

Alright here's a conundrum: The stereotype in the Premier League is that 'foreigners' are divers and cheats while the local lads don't play the game that way (despite evidence to the contrary). Luis Suarez came to England with reputation for being a cheat, a reputation he's proved to be well deserved. Meanwhile Gareth Bale, under the spotlight last due to superb performances that eventually won him all the Premier League Player of the Year awards, was accused of being a diver. Indeed Bale received the most yellow cards for diving and Spurs wasn't given a penalty in the PL last season! Meanwhile Suarez earned the most penalties for his team out of all the players in the PL. What gives?

You are heading in dangerous territory there ..

While Suarez is one of the most anoying players to play against, he is also one of the hardest working footballers to be found on the pitch and his winning ethic makes him do silly things. Bale is a second ronaldo, other then his enormous speed  while on the ball, he is a completely different player then Suarez. Suarez looks for the duels while Bale tries to outrun them. So while suarez goes down amongst players , Bale's diving is mostly attacks  from the back and easily spotted by the ref.

Good luck to Bale in the primera, think  he will be butchered there by ruthless defenders and bad refs...

Edited by aso2004

How about the supercup today? fantastic match, hurt a little bit for sure as a chelsea fan. But, I was impressed by how chelsea played. No club with mourinho as manager will suffer from a lack of confidence, that's for sure. I'm excited to see how it all fits together over the course of the entire season. The mata situation is a bit troubling, but it seems like mourinho really likes hazard and oscar, and is going to throw out schurrle against top opponents because of his ability to play fluidly on the counter. Willian and Eto'o haven't even been included in the squad yet. But, I do think we are going to see the squad designed for every match differently - Luiz played today, and Terry sat in spite of having played extremely well in the premier league matches. I'm excited.

My prediction for tomorrow: 5-2 to the Arsenal (and I'm being generous here towards tottenham)

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

thinkin dicanio will be the first sack of the season. too bad altidore can't seem to join a premier league team that isn't a train wreck.

Edited by Rob060

^^^

Arsenal have won 5-2 on the last two occasions they've hosted Spurs. Spurs have bought well but their new signings haven't had a chance to bed in yet and their defence is still a weak link. Walcott is just too fast for them. If Spurs win today then I'd be shocked into placing a bet on them as title winners.

Great day for football: Madrid just finished trashing Athletic, Man Utd vs Liverpool, North London derby and then Valencia vs Barca.

You are heading in dangerous territory there ..

While Suarez is one of the most anoying players to play against, he is also one of the hardest working footballers to be found on the pitch and his winning ethic makes him do silly things. Bale is a second ronaldo, other then his enormous speed  while on the ball, he is a completely different player then Suarez. Suarez looks for the duels while Bale tries to outrun them. So while suarez goes down amongst players , Bale's diving is mostly attacks  from the back and easily spotted by the ref.

Good luck to Bale in the primera, think  he will be butchered there by ruthless defenders and bad refs...

Bale is Welsh (just about to take the crown as Wales' best player from Bellamy Giggs) and everyone knows that the Prince of Wales has a reputation for cheating ;)

Edited by SuE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So this happened:

wtbib8g.png

I'm surprised Blatter and Platini called a truce long enough to setup that Easy group... ;)

Anyone intrigued by the title race in the Premier League this year? Also, does anyone watch La Liga? 

For a second (or 4 mins) it looked like Arsenal was going to pull away then those kids at Everton kept the title race interesting. The next two league games for Arsenal (vs Man City and Chelsea) could bring them crashing back to earth. Yes, it's all very intriguing.

• 2 weeks later...

been pretty crazy watching the spurs melt down. wonder what league AVB will go to next because he's definitely not ready for the premier league or maybe managing in general. his man management seems pretty terrible, his tactics leave you scratching your head and more and more you wonder how much that strong porto squad and luck carried him to european glory.

the premier league race has been pretty crazy this season. recent under achievers topping the table, man city putting up tennis scores at home. as a life long united fan, it's been pretty frustrating watching them flounder around at mid table, wasting so many chances to put games away and get back in the race.. and waste money on a player that can't even play well enough to be in the starting lineup now. at least fletcher's back. really feel sorry for that guy. 

then there's the world cup draw. yea, usa is fucked.

been pretty crazy watching the spurs melt down. wonder what league AVB will go to next because he's definitely not ready for the premier league or maybe managing in general. his man management seems pretty terrible, his tactics leave you scratching your head and more and more you wonder how much that strong porto squad and luck carried him to european glory.

AVB took Tottenham to their highest ever points total in a Premier League season. He has the best win ratio of a Spur manager. Claims of his poor management skills ignore Bale and other players running to hug him after scoring goals last season. He is not merely a lucky manager and he's not half bad a that. For all the poor results so far they are still within reach of 4th (and in a higher position than Man Utd). It's ridiculous that Levy was so quick to fire him especially with no proper replacement readily available.

Well, it sure makes the Premier League race even more entertaining so thanks to Spurs management for that.

it has been pretty interesting, thats for sure .. but i agree with sue to say he is not cut out for management seems a bit harsh considering he also did wonderful things at porto; winning the treble, while going undefeated in primeira league. at the end of the day its a pretty fantastic record. 

saying that he was soo naive against liverpool tactically this weekend, playing etienne capoue (through injuries, yes) and micheal dawson against what is the inform striker in the world right now... plus that AVB high line. after city, he reverted back to a deeper set up, should have kept to it.

there has also been a whole lot made of the influence of daniel levy recently, makes you question the nature of the signings.

but maybe this is it for spurs... they were horribly unlucky to not qualify for the cl last two seasons and unfortunately didn't manage to leap through the briefly open window that existed between liverpool's temporary collapse, and arsenal's financial handcuffs with the building of the emirates. its going to be very tough from here on out for them.

i do completely agree about his man management though, it awful. but at the end of the day hes 36, i am sure he'll bounce back somewhere rather quickly. he just needs time to create the system that suits him, something he wasn't provided at tottenham.. losing bale and welcoming what 10 signings you need time time time. 

Edited by joeyod007