football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

That applies to almost all international teams though. You have to consider the fact that the national teams don't get much playing time together as compared to their respective clubs. Tactical deviations get that much riskier when it's not fine-tuned to the expectations of the manager.

So it's not suprising when teams use one formula for the whole tournament.

My 2 cents

Really? I think Germany have been much more interesting to watch than either Spain or Holland. Maybe it's a matter of expectations, and of Germany exceeding theirs, while the other two have perhaps fallen short.

spain just had to play the two most defensive teams in the tournament. it's not going to be pretty beating those kind of teams. some had an off game today but minus torres, they've played pretty well. and considering they've never gotten this far in a world cup... i'd say people have misplaced expectations. and with the dutch underachieving for so long, i'd say they've already exceeded expectations.

and how can anyone not expect the germans to get this far? anyone who knows the history of this game should expect the germans do be doing exactly what they are. despite the commentators trying to call them a young team, key figures in that squad have been around for a while and klose/podolski have basically been resting the whole year while everyone else plays a bloated european club schedule. they're more fresh than anyone and are always a threat on the national team. muller is the only major newcomer.

can't wait to see the germany v spain game. hoping spain get the first goal to see how germany's counterattacking style works against a side who isn't in search of a goal.

oh, and everyone here should join the fantasy football league (premier league) once the season starts.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... what a let down... wasn't even a match! Brilliant tactics from the Krauts. I coulda been fucked if I'd managed to get to the local bookie in time!

lucky you... i got fucked hard on that.. thankfully Spain won or else I'd be crying

But that's why from a tactical perspective this tournament has been pretty dull, with only Chile showing any real innovation, and Spain, who were so refreshing at the euros by conducting play in the final third rather than from the base of midfield (as so many teams relying on the hard work of an efficient holding player) being found out when playing switzeland, portugal etc. Fair enough they've played very defensive teams, but the whole point of tiki taka was that it was an inspired way to unlock just such well organised defenses. Rather than following Spain's tactical direction, other sides seem to have simply doubled their defensive efforts. This is why Dunga is so unpopular in Brazil – they would have accepted two holding players at the expense of another fantasista only on the condition of total victory. This is why Germany are pretty exciting. Sure, some of the players may have been around for a while, but it's wrong to say that this is anything but a fairly revolutionary mannschaft. Where is the talismanic leader figure? When did they get comfortable playing all over the pitch, rather than in roles clearly defined by their position? Also, in terms of tactical innovation, dropping Schweinsteiger back into the Pirlo role has been pretty unexpected and impressive. You mention Müller, but what of Özil? And just because Lahm and Schweinsteiger appeared at the last tournament, should their impressive contributions be discounted? For me, of the Spanish only Villa has dazzled, likewise with Holland only Sneijder has really impressed. RVP has looked nice, but a whole season resting has not galvanised him in the same way you claim it's lent advantage to Klose and Podolski.

Also Ramos is a fucking twat, and he looks like the guy from Hanson. You guys aren't homos, you're twelve year old girls.

I love watching Germany play, to me it's the epitome of modern football. (Perhaps this is future football)

It's like an amalgamation of all the various different styles rolled into one. Hard, fast, disciplined, flowing football. They defend as well as they attack.

though, I hope it's a Holland v Spain final, would like a new nation to win it. and those two are somewhat overdue in some respects.

oh, and everyone here should join the fantasy football league (premier league) once the season starts.

FUCK YEAH. We need a bigger group that's more competitive! C'mon peoples!

I love watching Germany play, to me it's the epitome of modern football. (Perhaps this is future football)

It's like an amalgamation of all the various different styles rolled into one. Hard, fast, disciplined, flowing football. They defend as well as they attack.

though, I hope it's a Holland v Spain final, would like a new nation to win it. and those two are somewhat overdue in some respects.

if this dutch team won, it would be a total travesty. i wouldn't be surprised if they got knocked out on tues actually.

klinsi's doing studio analysis in the US, he mentioned that one of his specific goals was to discover all the best bits of football practices and tactics from all the top european leagues and incorporate them into the german side. sounds like loew is carrying on with that to great effect.

although perhaps he can work on his hygiene:

DYMhPXlVOS8

I love zonal marking, but since I opened my new place I haven't had time to follow it. Been watching motd on iplayer at night, and listening to the guardian podcast every morning. I try to block my ears to news results till I get home, but yesterday all the Germans crowding the streets were a bit of a giveaway.

Would be down for fantasy football, but I'm absolute garbage at making any kind of predictions, and will invariably make a mockery of myself.

Oh, and you guys on Ramos, I'm still jocking Eboue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_pkYxX7VQc&f

if this dutch team won, it would be a total travesty. i wouldn't be surprised if they got knocked out on tues actually.

klinsi's doing studio analysis in the US, he mentioned that one of his specific goals was to discover all the best bits of football practices and tactics from all the top european leagues and incorporate them into the german side. sounds like loew is carrying on with that to great effect.

although perhaps he can work on his hygiene:

DYMhPXlVOS8

What are you talking about? Leave him alone... that's his winning secret... new boogers diet for his team...:cool:

Guest I LOVE LFC
Also, in terms of tactical innovation, dropping Schweinsteiger back into the Pirlo role has been pretty unexpected and impressive.

He's played there for 2+ seasons for Bayern, not unexpected at all.

I should say a player like Schweinsteiger. If I recall he only moved centrally by van Gaal following the arrival of Robben, but regardless of nitpicking, you must admit it stands in contrast to the generic construction of every other team, whereby a solid holding player sweeping up and distributing metronomically becomes your foundation. It is Schweinsteiger's inclination to pass forward rather than side to side which sets him apart from every other deep lying central midfielder I've watched so far in this contest. So while he may occupy that position in Bayern's set up, within the context of the tournament it's unexpected, and refreshing.

Game was pretty good, i kept wishing for 3-3 and time extension.

Same here. Good game....some really fantastic strikes from both sides. The veteran Dutch are looking good going into the final. I think Netherlands v Germany would be the more entertaining match up.