football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Chel played badly. Drogs hernia acted up and he couldn't chase the bal.. Carlo should swop positions between him and Nico and let Nico play target man instead. Dont know what is the rest's excuse for playing so poorly. Although I think Ivanovic aint near 100%. But that doesnt explain why their right flank was exposed continuously when JT was off. Spurs could have won 5 or 6-1 given the clear chances they missed.

And JT being sent off shows Chel are still sore losers when things dont go their way. Same as when Ballack was sent off in the City game.

SAF in line for a record 4th consec BPL title, knock Pool off their f**king perch and set a record of being a champion despite losing 7 matches in a season, just as I predicted. Spurs cant beat them in OT even if they can resurrect the ghosts of Ledley, Lennon, Kranjar and play all their 23 players in OT. United is so much better than Spurs even without Bobby. They beat Spurs 3-0 in WHL this season already.

Why? Because I slam your beloved Spurs?

Look. In the beginning of the season, with their 1st team, Chel annihilated Spurs 3-0. In yesterday's match, Chel was sleepwalking and missing their key players like Ashley, Essien and Bosginwa. Chel didnt play well against Bolton at the Bridge and I pointed out Drogs wasnt 100%. Chel was clearly in the descent. I dont know why. Maybe they thought after United, the BPL was theirs.

Didnt see the Arsenal match but I recall Arsenal dominated possession but clearly lacked the edge with many of their 1st team out. And realistically, Arsenal wont win the BPL anyway. Although they gave us all a bit of a scare.

Spurs always have a complex about them and while they think or aspire themselves to be top 4 material or champions, they always fall short and Arry doesnt strike me as the managerial genius who will bring them there and world class players? Erm. Some but not all. And didnt Spurs spend tons on transfer fees, on par with the other top 4 over the past few years? And what did that bring em? I bet their wage bill is astronomical with so many B listers on their bench. I hope Spurs wont collapse under their wage bill like what happened to Pompey.

But SAF smell blood and their remaining matches are easier than Chel. Spurs and Sunderland and Stoke are nothing to them.

Chel should drop points in Kop as well and SAF will win his BPL title and Carling Cup and Chel will win their FA Cup.

So all ends well in BPL. Oh. Man City will finish 4th. Probably beat Spurs in doing so. If United dont demolish them first. Sorry. Thats how the top 4 roll.

Mancini is their leader,

Tevez is their god,

Vieira is a has-been

And Bellamy’s a knob.

They were on the march to Europe,

Like back in ‘69,

But up jumped Scholesy from a cross

And scored in Fergie time.

...and admittedly this has been an amazing season to follow, easily the most exciting in recent years, even if the quality of some of the top sides has seemed to slip a bit.

Aw come on! You believe that? The only team who does those cutesy one touch passing with aplomb is Barca and Arsenal is a copy of that. When one talks about one touch passing, its Barca and after this Champ Leagues run, Arsenal in 2nd place. Chel is a distant third to Arsenal. If Wigan is in the picture, where is Bolton then?

Arsenal lost because of Fabianski having a case of the butter fingers and dropping the ball on Bramble's head for him to head into goal and the 3 defenders not knowing how to close down N'Zogbia. Of course, Arsenal should have wrapped up the game much earlier but that is footy for you.

When I saw Fabianski was playing together with Sol, I knew Wigan had a chance but even I couldnt see Arsenal capitulating a 2 goals lead.

Wenger obviously needs to rethink what he has to do next season. Whether to put in more seasoned performers or continue the same path. Whatever it is, this season must be a watershed year for him since he promised silverwear to the AGM but failed again. Next season will have more changes in store for them.

Messi playing centrally behind the striker makes tactical sense to me. He can run and draw out defenders, or shoot from distance if there's the space. He can distribute well and make plays from that position also. He lacks the height and build of Ibra so poses less risk to the defense in the air (although admittedly Barca prefers the ground). Nonetheless, full credits to Inter for playing with a lot of effort and heart - it should be a exciting second leg.

God why didn't Pep play Messi centrally last night? Ibra sucked against Inter.
Messi is a waste when he plays centrally. He's perfect to cut in from either side. He definitely draws out defenders more playing from the wing. Pretty much every team puts the left back on him permanently, and very often he gets help from center back. He also uses both of his feel very well. His strength is running with the ball and not receiving it with a back to the goal. I would say his only weakness it that he can be bullied without the ball. He's not bad in the air, but let's be honest he can't really dominate. I love to watch him play next to Tevez or non lazy striker.

I also heard that Ibra ran less than Valdes during the Inter game :D what a fucking tit

Messi is a waste when he plays centrally. He's perfect to cut in from either side. He definitely draws out defenders more playing from the wing. Pretty much every team puts the left back on him permanently, and very often he gets help from center back. He also uses both of his feel very well. His strength is running with the ball and not receiving it with a back to the goal. I would say his only weakness it that he can be bullied without the ball. He's not bad in the air, but let's be honest he can't really dominate. I love to watch him play next to Tevez or non lazy striker.

I also heard that Ibra ran less than Valdes during the Inter game :D what a fucking tit

I see your points, but Messi in the center is ideal against Inter. Barca doesn't need to pump balls to him, he just needs to drop deeper, draw out the CBs and the Barca wingers can rush in. Barca plays a short passing game anyways so this would theoretically facilitate their style.

Sneidjer's out for the 2nd leg, so Mourinho is probably going ultra-defensive at the Nou Camp.

If he drops deeper, he won't draw out the CBs. CBs will go out only to a player who holds the ball. When he drops deeper he will be covered by DM. Barca also doesn't really have wingers. Dani Alves and Maxwell only cross the ball, they very rarely rush into the box.

I would love to see another Messi show, and he might be playing a little more central this time. Especially after Zanetti kept him in his pocket much of the first game. Either way, he will always drift wide, that's his best way to attack and I doubt his gaffer will mind too much.

Mourinho was always going ultra-defensive after 3-1 in the first leg. They will most likely just counter attack, but I still think they can score. He will throw in Stankovic for Sneijder, and maybe sub in Muntari later second half. Barca need to attack and maybe they can scare the shit out of Inter somehow.

I see your points, but Messi in the center is ideal against Inter. Barca doesn't need to pump balls to him, he just needs to drop deeper, draw out the CBs and the Barca wingers can rush in. Barca plays a short passing game anyways so this would theoretically facilitate their style.

Sneidjer's out for the 2nd leg, so Mourinho is probably going ultra-defensive at the Nou Camp.

that was probably the original plan anyway given his tendency to sit on 1-0 leads. Barca will be pouring water on the field though the passing will be much faster no more retarded inerceptions.

If he drops deeper, he won't draw out the CBs. CBs will go out only to a player who holds the ball. When he drops deeper he will be covered by DM. Barca also doesn't really have wingers. Dani Alves and Maxwell only cross the ball, they very rarely rush into the box.

I would love to see another Messi show, and he might be playing a little more central this time. Especially after Zanetti kept him in his pocket much of the first game. Either way, he will always drift wide, that's his best way to attack and I doubt his gaffer will mind too much.

Mourinho was always going ultra-defensive after 3-1 in the first leg. They will most likely just counter attack, but I still think they can score. He will throw in Stankovic for Sneijder, and maybe sub in Muntari later second half. Barca need to attack and maybe they can scare the shit out of Inter somehow.

you never watch barca if you think alves is just a crosser of the ball.....

you never watch barca if you think alves is just a crosser of the ball.....

Let me just say, Alves is the best attacking right back in the world. He's an excellent crosser of the ball (14 assists this season), he has a very powerful shot, great speed, and he can take on people better than any defender playing right now.

Saying that, he's the most effective when he comes from the back or during counter attack. He can't play forward continuously. You could see that in last Espanyol game. He was useless playing in right attacking position.

So yes, he not only crosses the ball, but that's his biggest threat. He can also carry out the attack, and he's very good at it. Btw he's a shit defender.

Pedro can cut in, and that's his main role (so can Henry but he must be shit in training since he can't get a game).