football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

yeah that book is awesome. reading that kind of shit makes me depressed that we have a manager who can't see that peter crouch is a waste of space.

soccernomics is also a worthwhile read although i have a friend (who has a background in polisci and finance) who hates it.

in terms of understanding the game in the US, soccerhead is great as well

btw i thought gabe marcotti was a great pundit on setanta even though (because?) he's a benedict arnold

I thought he's a good pundit because he knows what he's talkng about.

As far as I can tell football broadcasting media treats viewers like idiots. There seems to be one rule for getting on these shows: respect.

Put up a recognisable face from the footballing past and people will automatically assume he knows what he's talking about.

Great banter here from "the lads" ...

JyBm0Bn_Tcg

fuck. woke up at 4:30am to watch united lose.

at least the UK people don't have to deal with rob stone and julie fowdy. holy shit, i want to destroy those two whenever espn drags them out of hiding for a big soccer event.

looks like espn picked up martin tyler to call games during the world cup. wonder if they are going to have andy gray along too. so much better listening to those guys than those pieces of shit. i don't even like the scottish and irish dudes that usually do the champions league games.

if i have to listen to martin tyler's monkey and andy bitter cunt gray, i will watch the world cup in spanish. gray is a stubborn cunt and is very biased toward his favorite players. the other tit is just mental. he comes up with his own facts that are straight from fantasy land. i remember when it took over two years for gray to admit that torres is a good striker... beyond the pale.

feel horrible for ramsey. some talent, let's hope he can get back onto the pitch soon. on the other hand, about time shawcross got the england call. one day he might be very very good.

Yup. England needs a Keano type who can knock the likes of Messi, Nando, CR 9, Drogs out of the tournament and even the sport for good. And so what if Shawcross gets a red, he is superfluous to the requirements anyway.

i stayed up til 4:30am to watch the city vs chelsea match. turned it on, laid down on the couch and fell asleep until it was over. :[

Well, you missed the non-handshake heard around the world. Actually that was expected and dumb for the press to harp about it just like its dumb for Stamford Bridge to boo Bridge everytime he touched the ball.

But you missed:

1. Carlo learnt like Wenger why a good 2nd goalie is important. For all of Cech's faults, Hilario(US) was just so minor league. Like League 1. He made Foster and Kuczak look like Gigi Buffon.

When Hilario(US) was rooted in the centre of his line trying to appear big before Tevez took his shot, he looked like he was playing catch wih his son or some WAG. I knew then, unless Tevez is dumb enough to shoot straight at Hilario(US), no way Hilario(US) could save the penalty.

2. How Kenyon made a mistake by not cashing in on JT. JT was awful for so many matches. And if not for the fact Chelsea lacks quality centrebacks and fullbacks, JT would be benched. Only thing JT has is good organisation and leadership skills at the back.

Same thing for Joe Cole. Chelsea should cash out on the 40 year old winger. Anyway they got Deco who is more creative and just as injury prone as JC and about 1 or 2 years older but got more big match experience. Time to get rid of Cole and get Ribery.

3. How Carlo will lose his job if this bad patch continues. For sure, Jose will go through to the next round of Champs League. Hilario(US) is so frigging poor. Everytime, an Eto'o, Milito, Bartorelli and Snejder take their shots, you know Hilario(US) cant save it. And Jose already said he got rid of his ageing players to have a speedier squad. And you know Chelsea cant run to save their lives as the Manc showed us. Especially with Ashley and Bosingwa and Essien all out.

Not to mention, if Carlo lacks proper left back and central defenders and GK, it is way too late to salvage a BPL title run too.

And I hate to admit it but Gunners, 3 points behind Chelsea may just be champs. Damn! That is as bad as Sunderland being champs of BPL. Well, not the same but still the same if you know what I mean.

Yeah I felt very depress after watching that tackle. Did you guys check out the pictures? His ankle was dangling. :(

And yes shawcross is good. Everyone knows he didnt meant that tackle. It was just bad timing for both of them. Guess thats football. All the best for both of them.

feel horrible for ramsey. some talent, let's hope he can get back onto the pitch soon. on the other hand, about time shawcross got the england call. one day he might be very very good.