football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

promised silverwear, you have to be joking.

When you're winning you're gonna win the league. Then lose two (maybe three ) and suddenly the club and the manager that made it is shit.

The point remains, after the Liverpool game you have pretty much winnable games all the way up to season's close. Man U caught you up from a 11 or 12 point deficit and won the premiership years ago, it's definitely not over.

try supporting a club with real problems, 'doooon't beeeeat poooooortsmoouth'

1. In this years' AGM, Wenger did promised silverware to the shareholders. Something like genuinely believed this team will win silverware. Unlikely they can win the Champs League now.

This doesnt sound like typical BS cos he was more than his usual upset when ref decisions dont go his way and blasted the gunners during half time in one match that they didnt deserve to wear the shirt and Cesc said he didnt see Wenger got so mad before. So Wenger is under a ton of pressure. Maybe he was told to win something big. If not, something big may happen to his team policy.

2. last year, Man U became champs despite having bad records to the top 3. In the past years, Arsenal had the best records against the top 3 and never won. BPL.

So you can argue winning against top 3 aint the barometer for being the champ. But the truth is Arsenal is a touch below the class of Man U and Chelsea. So even if they are champs, they aint the best and you must be hoping Man U and Chelsea will collapse simultaneously, which wont happen.

^ would you not question your manager if he didnt bring in a clearly needed striker when your best one is out for the rest of the season. or chooses to play a 5'7 russian against the likes of chelsea and uniteds defense. in the two games that will define your season the manager doesnt play a stiker. fuckin ridiculous. and what footbal fan isnt fucking fickle in this day and age. managers get the sack all the time for losing a run of games. arsenal supporters have stood by wenger for a long time and they will continue to do so. were just pissed that we were promised silverware this season and now its pretty much out of the picture.

According to the commentators, Wenger did try to beef up his squad but failed. You cant blame him for using Arsh. Think Bendtner wasnt match fit. And the bridge had a great time laughing at the Bend when he tumble and fumble and lost the ball.

There was one time he got the ball but somehow it slipped behind him. Another time, when Cech saved Cesc's free kick, the ball came to him and he tumbled and 3 Chelsea players ran off with the ball leaving him rolling on the ground and not even a close penalty call.

All in all, think Man U had a better performance against Arsenal. Man U possessed the ball more and counter attacked better. I thought Chelsea played like they were playing Barca. And instead of running after the ball, they sat back. But at least Barca was much more lethal and clinical. And everytime Drogs got the ball, you know he will score.

Heartbroken. :( This wed against Liverpool. Lets hope they'll win. 1D 2L in 3 matches. Their morale gotta be low :( Wenger should have just got a experience striker to replace RVP.

Anyway, got to admit Cech was on top form yesterday. If Arshavin were to score the volley from the cross, things might have gone different with a 1-1.

Whatever it is, all the best gunners.

FAITH

Heartbroken. :( This wed against Liverpool. Lets hope they'll win. 1D 2L in 3 matches. Their morale gotta be low :( Wenger should have just got a experience striker to replace RVP.

Anyway, got to admit Cech was on top form yesterday. If Arshavin were to score the volley from the cross, things might have gone different with a 1-1.

Whatever it is, all the best gunners.

FAITH

These 2 weeks was to be Gunners’ acid test. 4 matches against top 3 opponents and 1 europa league opponent. This was the week that Arsenal’s boys became men. In the Chelsea match, Arsene took out Denilson who is lightweight and put in Theo who got tons of speed the Geriacticos cant catch. Ended up Arsene got 1 point out of 9. Very very poor. If they lose at the Kop, they will be 2 points ahead of Pool and at the end of the season, they may become 4th or even worse 5th

Yea these 4 games will be the turning point. For a moment they were title contenders, now it seems like they have to defend their 3rd spot.

These 2 weeks was to be Gunners’ acid test. 4 matches against top 3 opponents and 1 europa league opponent. This was the week that Arsenal’s boys became men. In the Chelsea match, Arsene took out Denilson who is lightweight and put in Theo who got tons of speed the Geriacticos cant catch. Ended up Arsene got 1 point out of 9. Very very poor. If they lose at the Kop, they will be 2 points ahead of Pool and at the end of the season, they may become 4th or even worse 5th

The truth is Gunners where never BPL champions caliber material. I said it many times here already. Their flaws are known and a few demolitions of bottom feeder clubs doesn’t change that.

But their Champions League status should be assured. Cant see them doing worse than Pool this year and they only need to be better than Pool and not Man City.

promised silverwear, you have to be joking.

When you're winning you're gonna win the league. Then lose two (maybe three ) and suddenly the club and the manager that made it is shit.

The point remains, after the Liverpool game you have pretty much winnable games all the way up to season's close. Man U caught you up from a 11 or 12 point deficit and won the premiership years ago, it's definitely not over.

i think it's more to do with the fact there is a clear gap in quality between them and the top 2, based on head to head competition. that said there's no real reason they couldn't catch up, although they have a much better chance of overtaking utd than chelsea based on remaining schedule.

the subtext of ferguson's comments about wanting arsenal to batter chelsea is that he doesn't view arsenal as legitimate title contenders - i find it interesting that nobody picked up on this bit, so perhaps his comments reflect an unspoken consensus in the media.

i got up at 4:45am to watch the everton/liverpool match on espn. donovan had a pretty good game. hope he stays. having a fellow american there with him in the club will help a lot too.

I agree, I can't think of an everton player who had a better game than he did. Hopefully he will be brought into Everton full time, but I'm not too sure they have the financial backing to give MLS what they want for him (he just signed a 4-yr deal before leaving on-loan)... maybe some other team will tho.

Altidore put in a really strong game as well for hull with a goal, and was giving the CB's hell from the start (both CB's were on yellow cards at 20mins).

Robinho put in a sweet back-heel goal for Santos for the late game winner also.

I agree, I can't think of an everton player who had a better game than he did. Hopefully he will be brought into Everton full time, but I'm not too sure they have the financial backing to give MLS what they want for him (he just signed a 4-yr deal before leaving on-loan)... maybe some other team will tho.

Altidore put in a really strong game as well for hull with a goal, and was giving the CB's hell from the start (both CB's were on yellow cards at 20mins).

Robinho put in a sweet back-heel goal for Santos for the late game winner also.

i totally forgot about altidore going to hull. i'll have to keep a look out.

i agree about the whole donovan deal. mls make it really hard on transfers. would be a shame if they don't allow it.

i totally forgot about altidore going to hull. i'll have to keep a look out.

i agree about the whole donovan deal. mls make it really hard on transfers. would be a shame if they don't allow it.

altidore goal: (play starts at :47)

http://videos.sapo.pt/1IzzhjUJ9sZaDsksBVzp

showed a lot early in the game (and previous 2) using his strength and size where the CB's were dragging him down when he got around them, and fans were giving him lots of praise every time he touched the ball. You could tell it was coming. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Fabianski showed he has neither the intellectual nor the physical qualities required to be a keeper.

Just terrible on the first goal. For the indirect free-kick... easy remedy, turn your back walk back into your 6 yard box with the ball and roll the ball out towards the corner flag. Don't be a dick and hurl it but obviously slow down the play. I don't remember but Campbell should have stood over the ball as well.

Aww come on not even the most myopic of utd/ liverpool/ arsenal fans bemoaning there own teams strength in depth would count lampard as a forward ...

How's everyones preseason predictions holding up so far this time round? I had Liverpool to win it, Man City to push Arseenal outta the top 4 and Utd and Chelski stuck in the middle of the big 4; so not so good.

Readjusting for the run in I'd have it Utd, from Arsenal, Chelsea and then Liverpool ...

Arsenal's run in is so much easy than the rest of top 4's. Rooney will keep scoring meaning no one will be able to stay with Utd and Rafa 's guarenteed 4th so it's definitely gonna happen (plus Spurs, Man City and Villa are too busy dicking about, being ridiculously boring and/or just plain average to make it).