the "ask an asian" thread.

mizanation

My dad (Chinese) hates the Japanese. I've encountered similar sentiments among others, especially mainlanders and older individuals.

Everyone hates the Filipinos though.

i think this has been talked about b4, hasn't it? anyway the old chinapeople always hating on japs for ww2. new china loves japs for playstation and animes.

i don't know about chinese, but japanese don't hate filipinos.

i don't know about chinese, but japanese don't hate filipinos.

My lady watched this dorama about a half Filipino guy who constantly gets his ass kicked, called filipin yaro alot, gets constantly picked up by the cops, gets framed for murder, accused of rape, mother was a filipino pink salon worker, and works in wagashi store that customers stopped going to because they found out he's half filipino. Basically the Japanese Dorama version of Precious.

explain.

My lady watched this dorama about a half Filipino guy who constantly gets his ass kicked, called filipin yaro alot, gets constantly picked up by the cops, gets framed for murder, accused of rape, mother was a filipino pink salon worker, and works in wagashi store that customers stopped going to because they found out he's half filipino. Basically the Japanese Dorama version of Precious.

explain.

that's tv. and plus they trying to send an endearing message about the half breed protagonist. did he get the bad aids 2?

see japs nowdays imo don't hate flipinos, but just sorta look down on them. no real vile hate like b4. they just don't give a shit and the smart ones know that filipinos and alot southeast asians do the jobs in japan that alota japs don't wanna do. and 4 cheap. so many filipinos in japland, that most japs are already used to them already. so the hate is diluted to the point of "oh...another filipino. whateva." or at least the japs i know who have even took the time to talk about such things.

I was just messing around. The show was so god damn bad it was comical, I lost interest after the 2nd episode though.

don't know it. 10 years old bitch made me watch that drama with shingo starring as a vietkonger working in tokyo. he did a good job i have to admit.

that's tv. and plus they trying to send an endearing message about the half breed protagonist. did he get the bad aids 2?

see japs nowdays imo don't hate flipinos, but just sorta look down on them. no real vile hate like b4. they just don't give a shit and the smart ones know that filipinos and alot southeast asians do the jobs in japan that alota japs don't wanna do. and 4 cheap. so many filipinos in japland, that most japs are already used to them already. so the hate is diluted to the point of "oh...another filipino. whateva." or at least the japs i know who have even took the time to talk about such things.

I was using a bit of hyperbole with the "hate" comment before. I basically meant that they were like the Mexicans of Asia.

I was using a bit of hyperbole with the "hate" comment before. I basically meant that they were like the Mexicans of Asia.

np. your sentiment is one that has been said many times before and actually rings true for various factors. two in particular...

the social parallels between mexicans and filipinos. that both groups are synthesis ethnicities. or originally the products of war and rape.

np. your sentiment is one that has been said many times before and actually rings true for various factors. two in particular...

the social parallels between mexicans and filipinos. that both groups are synthesis ethnicities. or originally the products of war and rape.

not that there isn't truth in this, but shit is extremely offensive. Do you find yourself in contact w/ Filipinos a lot?

thinking about US history class of forever ago...minority groups or groups being oppressed always blame problems on classes considered beneath them (I'm referring to Asian hierarchy). My city has a ton of Southeast Asians and Filipinos. Tons of Filipino Americans I know would just constantly bash on fob SEAers (Filipinos/Hmong/Vietnamese)...thought a lot about this self hating...sad shit

for clarity- when I said my folks hate each others families before...both my parents Taiwanese (nationality), but my dad side Cantonese.

not that there isn't truth in this, but shit is extremely offensive. Do you find yourself in contact w/ Filipinos a lot?

thinking about US history class of forever ago...minority groups or groups being oppressed always blame problems on classes considered beneath them (I'm referring to Asian hierarchy). My city has a ton of Southeast Asians and Filipinos. Tons of Filipino Americans I know would just constantly bash on fob SEAers (Filipinos/Hmong/Vietnamese)...thought a lot about this self hating...sad shit

for clarity- when I said my folks hate each others families before...both my parents Taiwanese (nationality), but my dad side Cantonese.

yo i'm not 2 sure what your gripe is. what's so offensive about what i said? the shit i've stated is factual. yes, i find myself in contact with filipinos, flips and fliparicans alot. that particular ethnicity is a evolutionary culmination of unfortunate circumstance. sure, the end product has not taken a turn for the positive, but all is not negative.

i don't blame shit on the filipinos or "classes considered beneath them." i just don't give shit as those issues do not concern me. i just try to state some nonfiction shit and call shit like i see it. i don't really bother to ponder the your so-called lower stratosphere of the asia "hierarchy." shit just doesn't concern me. i mean i know the stereotypes, but in a western state how does this even matter? it's all about those certain individuals of various ethnicities' insecurities. again, i don't make social rules nor do i purposely conjure asia's various ethnic connotations. i'm sorry, but in the greater scheme of my life and 2 the ethnicity i rep, taiwainse vs cantonese don't really mean shit. just not an issue. i gather that the reason 4 your family's strife is mainly due to past politics. should a non chinaman give a shit?

filipinos are ok theyre so soo but they have tons of issues dunno why.

chinese are numb people and impatient fools and they dont clean theyre teeth that much

well isn't it shitstorming in HK right now cause of the tourist shooting? like i saw jackie chan on tvb talking about it the other day and then tsang chi wai telling jackie chan he's retarded

i know ppl in HK that fired their filipino helpers after that shit

Seriously now, what the fuck is with that FOB peace sign, pouty lips pose everyone does? Anyone have any idea where that god awful thing came from and why it became so ubiquitous?

Originated in the Japland.

gyaru culture but now very popular

apparently the next big thing is "komari-gao" (roughly translates to frowned face")

:(

Grabbed from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign

Japan and the V sign in photographs

One account of the V sign's use in portrait photographs claims that during the 1972 Winter Olympics in Sapporo, Hokkaidō American figure skater Janet Lynn stumbled into Japanese pop culture when she fell during a free-skate period—but continued to smile even as she sat on the ice. Though she placed only third in the actual competition, her cheerful diligence and indefatigability resonated with many Japanese viewers, making her an overnight celebrity in Japan. Afterwards, Lynn (a peace activist) was repeatedly seen flashing the V sign in the Japanese media. Though the V sign was known of in Japan prior to Lynn's use of it there (from the post-WWII Allied occupation of Japan), she is credited by some Japanese for having popularized its use in amateur photographs.[27] According to another theory, the V sign was popularized by the actor and singer Jun Inoue, who showed it in a Konica photo camera commercial in 1972.

Heard about this from a friend before as well but it still doesn't explain how the V-sign over the mouth that girls sometimes do in Japan became popular...

yo i'm not 2 sure what your gripe is. what's so offensive about what i said? the shit i've stated is factual. yes, i find myself in contact with filipinos, flips and fliparicans alot. that particular ethnicity is a evolutionary culmination of unfortunate circumstance. sure, the end product has not taken a turn for the positive, but all is not negative.

i don't blame shit on the filipinos or "classes considered beneath them." i just don't give shit as those issues do not concern me. i just try to state some nonfiction shit and call shit like i see it. i don't really bother to ponder the your so-called lower stratosphere of the asia "hierarchy." shit just doesn't concern me. i mean i know the stereotypes, but in a western state how does this even matter? it's all about those certain individuals of various ethnicities' insecurities. again, i don't make social rules nor do i purposely conjure asia's various ethnic connotations. i'm sorry, but in the greater scheme of my life and 2 the ethnicity i rep, taiwainse vs cantonese don't really mean shit. just not an issue. i gather that the reason 4 your family's strife is mainly due to past politics. should a non chinaman give a shit?

personally, I didn't take offense to what you said about Filipinos. It just struck me as like...if I were a Filipino...I would be offended by that shit.

and what I said about how my father's/mother's sides having issues w/ each other - it isn't so much hate as absent minded, non-aggro racism. and yeah I see ur apathetic about affairs of obscure inter-ethnic issues, I wasn't really directing at you as much as I was thinking out loud. feel like there is just some kind of poetic injustice about hand SEAers are dealt

personally, I didn't take offense to what you said about Filipinos. It just struck me as like...if I were a Filipino...I would be offended by that shit.

and what I said about how my father's/mother's sides having issues w/ each other - it isn't so much hate as absent minded, non-aggro racism. and yeah I see ur apathetic about affairs of obscure inter-ethnic issues, I wasn't really directing at you as much as I was thinking out loud. feel like there is just some kind of poetic injustice about hand SEAers are dealt

i think that only the uneducated of them would take offense. just as alot of ignorant japanese r unable 2 fathom that the atomic bombs dropped on their land was a catalyst for change and growth.

misery most often than not breeds will. anyway it could be argued that this does not (or hasn't) apply to filipinos or mexicans, but let's put it this way:

no spanish occupation and rape of the mayans...no mexicans.

no chinese or spanish occupation of the indigenous malay like peoples in the philippines...then there'd be no filipinos.

i don't know about chinese stuffs, but i find that i get along with hongkongers the best up until now. chinese separation and segregation is more based on politics? not so much just hating another asian ethnicity for easier and seemingly petty reasons, no?

My dad (Chinese) hates the Japanese. I've encountered similar sentiments among others, especially mainlanders and older individuals.

Everyone hates the Filipinos though.

just putting in my two cents here, as an american-born filipino – everybody smart got out in the 70s and 80s when the marcos' were fucking up the motherland.

also a lot of the older filipinos still remember and resent the japanese. seems to be a common thread in a lot of the older azns i know. korean girlfriend's grandparents loathe the japanese

everybody's cool with thai ppl tho, prolly their kickboxing or summat

everybody hates the cantonese tho fo sho

i think that only the uneducated of them would take offense. just as alot of ignorant japanese r unable 2 fathom that the atomic bombs dropped on their land was a catalyst for change and growth.

misery most often than not breeds will. anyway it could be argued that this does not (or hasn't) apply to filipinos or mexicans, but let's put it this way:

no spanish occupation and rape of the mayans...no mexicans.

no chinese or spanish occupation of the indigenous malay like peoples in the philippines...then there'd be no filipinos.

i don't know about chinese stuffs, but i find that i get along with hongkongers the best up until now. chinese separation and segregation is more based on politics? not so much just hating another asian ethnicity for easier and seemingly petty reasons, no?

I think that the politics thing resonates for a lot of Taiwan people but most the other elitist Taiwan people I come across basically look down on mainlanders for being uncultured peasants (in their eyes). The vast majority of Taiwanese I've met have just been rich college winos. awkward people w/ try to-be-Japan thing going on (I'm young as shit). They have problems w/ loud and obnoxious Cantonese people.

just putting in my two cents here, as an american-born filipino – everybody smart got out in the 70s and 80s when the marcos' were fucking up the motherland.

also a lot of the older filipinos still remember and resent the japanese. seems to be a common thread in a lot of the older azns i know. korean girlfriend's grandparents loathe the japanese

everybody's cool with thai ppl tho, prolly their kickboxing or summat

everybody hates the cantonese tho fo sho

I was pretty much raised by my Taiwanese side like 70% of the time (they spent a lot of time talking shit about my dad's Cantonese side). I wasn't feeling that shit and I guess reverse psychology or whatever resulted in me having no problems w/ the Cantonese side. Deep down I think I still have that elitist complex though

Wait, people hate the cantonese? I thought everyone hated fukinese aka taiwan's ghetto cousins?

I find that these are less ghetto? what the fuck do I know

don't all the major chinese groups whatever the political faction hate the gypos of china? the hmong?

a lot do, yeah. a lot of the Asian Americans here w/ few exceptions look down on Hmong people because of prominent fob among them/ huge population in my city/vast numbers are living below or on poverty line.

i thought chinese people just hated on everybody, i swear the chinese people i know are the most racist motherfuckers i know.

HAHA. Hopefully this was supposed to be irony.

ghetto dramaz between hmong and viet dudes is common as hell here. lots of hmong gangs in northern california, people see them as the ghettoest asians

shit i lived in la jolla/newport beach my entire life and never realized there were hmong until i watched that one movie with clint eastwood in it.

talk about serious ignorance on my part, geez