Most underrated city?

coinlockerbaby

agreed on Louisville, it's a gem. Not the biggest city in the region, but the "youth culture" there is far better than many of the surrounding larger cities (Cincy, Nashville, St Louis, Indianapolis). If/when I move away from NYC, Louisville is at the top of my list.

I'll also 2nd the Osaka > Tokyo. Tokyo is great, but Osaka was a blast and I can actually imagine living there.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed on Louisville, it's a gem. Not the biggest city in the region, but the "youth culture" there is far better than many of the surrounding larger cities (Cincy, Nashville, St Louis, Indianapolis). If/when I move away from NYC, Louisville is at the top of my list.

I'll also 2nd the Osaka > Tokyo. Tokyo is great, but Osaka was a blast and I can actually imagine living there.

Hey, I saw your post regarding record stores. Are you from KY? If so, where about? I grew up in central KY.

Lille,France

Cool laid back city

Great food(Belguim beers,great locals cheeses)

Pretty down to earth women

Decent graf and funk music scene

Close to most major European cities (1hr to Paris,90 min to Amsterdam and London)

maybe im jaded cuz i just left there...feel free to chime in.

philadelphia pa. hostile city USA. former fattest city in america.

i used to have a love/hate relationship with philly. being from the area i knew i had to get out for a bit to see what else was out there, and i'm still not 100% i've settled down here yet, but i know i eventually will. It's got such a rich history, amazing attitude, great food, decent shopping, great beer, wawa, and cheesesteaks.

It's always played 2nd fiddle to NYC, the nytimes called it the "6th borough" which is just fucking disgusting if you ask me. It's so unique that if you don't get it, you don't get it...

philadelphia pa. hostile city USA. former fattest city in america.

i used to have a love/hate relationship with philly. being from the area i knew i had to get out for a bit to see what else was out there, and i'm still not 100% i've settled down here yet, but i know i eventually will. It's got such a rich history, amazing attitude, great food, decent shopping, great beer, wawa, and cheesesteaks.

It's always played 2nd fiddle to NYC, the nytimes called it the "6th borough" which is just fucking disgusting if you ask me. It's so unique that if you don't get it, you don't get it...

I live just outside Philadelphia and my girlfriend lives over there with her family quite a bit. I'll actually be moving there by september and when the city is on it really is nice. I think the attitude can leave a little to be desired but on a nice day I think it can be wonderful

I live just outside Philadelphia and my girlfriend lives over there with her family quite a bit. I'll actually be moving there by september and when the city is on it really is nice. I think the attitude can leave a little to be desired but on a nice day I think it can be wonderful

the attitude is what makes philadelphia, philadelphia imo. It comes off as rude if you're not used to it, but if you're from the area, I think you're just used to it. where outside are you?

the attitude is what makes philadelphia, philadelphia imo. It comes off as rude if you're not used to it, but if you're from the area, I think you're just used to it. where outside are you?

I've only made two trips to Philly and barely scratched the surface. But I love the city's vibe, Jim's Steaks on South Street, record shopping at 611 and just soaking in city.....

It's one of the few cities in the US I would consider living in....

Leiden, Netherlands.

Has some great places to visit, beautiful and clean (smaller) city, and great restaurants to go to, friendly locals, and two colleges, so you know the parties are nearby. Almost no tourists there either. Lived there for a month, fell in love with it.

philly, its got a good community, good food, the shopping is getting better and its still affordable i deffinatly dig philly i go as often as possible, being that my girlfriend is from there any break from school she has were there.

That's a lot of love for Philadelphia.

I'm seconding Cleveland. The city operates in a way that's fairly hostile to tourism, so find a native guide. They're not hard to find in any city; it seems like Cleveland's refugees pick a coast and cling to it.

philly, its got a good community, good food, the shopping is getting better and its still affordable i deffinatly dig philly i go as often as possible, being that my girlfriend is from there any break from school she has were there.

all of my family resides in either north or south jersey (cherry hill). i usually travel up there a handful of times a year, and every time im up there, i fall in love with the city...ill make it back up there one day for good.

im gonna throw san antonio in there as well....austin's only 40 minutes away...theres so much to do in both cities..very underated.

yeah, that's what i'm talking about !!!!!

rep for you

Montreal has definitely got charm. That, and it's one of the best places for a bachelor party in North America.

Good clubs: Aria on St. Catherine's

Strip Clubs: Grand Prix and Chez Diane's (a little outside the city but worth the drive)

Lots of cute/friendly French-Canadian chicks...

Quick flight from Northeast or Mid-Atlantic...

Montreal has definitely got charm. That, and it's one of the best places for a bachelor party in North America.

Good clubs: Aria on St. Catherine's

Strip Clubs: Grand Prix and Chez Diane's (a little outside the city but worth the drive)

Lots of cute/friendly French-Canadian chicks...

Quick flight from Northeast or Mid-Atlantic...

Aria closed 2 months ago, i don't really go to after-hour that much anymore, but i like Circus better anyway, nothing is ever gonna compare with the good old days of Sauna (RIP)

don't know the strip clubs you mentioned (not much of a strip club guy), but usually, the ones ppl like the most are Chez Paré and Super Sexe.

if only the winters were not that cold....

Portland, OR.

considering the amount of creativity that comes out of that little city, i think they should get more props. great boutiques, great galleries, great record stores, and more. portland has a bit more urban flair than seattle does (imo). very stylish, organic, but very grounded.

• 2 months later...

Copenhagen - most underrated night life in Europe... amazing shopping, great transportation, beautiful people, clubs open past 5 if i remember correctly, no outdoor open liquor policy, clean... plus everyone there speaks fluent English so it's rediculously easy to get around if you don't speak Danish

I'll give another nod to Prague. I also really like St. Petersberg. You kinda gotta know the place to get away from the touristy areas, but there are some nice clubs and... man the Hermitage museum is worth a visit by itself. The city's architecture is just beautiful, rivaling Paris in my opinion.

Stateside, so many people have never been to Minneapolis. It's got great night life, food, style, great music scene, int'l airport, and it's CLEAN!

As far as the USA is concerned - it is without a doubt, New Orleans! There is no place like it in the world. Architecture, people, culture, food/drink...

Without question, you will have a memorable time...

It is like a Europeon city in the US.

Plus - everyone thinks the entire city was devasted. Nothing you would visit or do as a tourist or urban dweller is gone. Only the residential areas....mostly surburban ones were wiped out The rest of the city was built hundreds of years ago, and in a much higher region, thus escaping the flood.

You will love it.

Just stay off chessy Bourbon St. go to the Marginy, Bywater, Uptown and Garden District. The Quater is amazing - but Bourbon Street is disgusting..

Wait till after Sept to go. way too hot now....Oct and April are amazing...

• 8 months later...