Most underrated city?

coinlockerbaby

Discussing this with friends the other day: what do you think is the most underrated city? As in, somewhere that doesnt get the props its deserves.

My vote: Rio de Janeiro. Sure its got beaches, Carnival ,hot bodies, and jungle. But also : history (capital of the Portuguese Empire), funky buildings (Niteroi art museum, Colonial buildings in santa teresa), unique culture (samba, bossa nova, candomble), beautiful gardens and works by leading artists (the Copacabana mosaics by Burle Marx, Niememyers buildings, the Museums of Villa Lobos and Camrne Miranda). PLus - friendly people, good food and some interesting hoods...

Everyone goes to London and LA - but gimme Rio any day!!!

Any other nominations?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Zihuatanejo, Mexico last year for a photo shoot and was really taken with the place. It's neighbour, Ixtapa, gets all the limelight but it is a more down to earth fishing village (albeit with some pretty nice places to stay along the beach). Its beach, Playa La Ropa, is one of the nicest along the Pacific Coast - and you can actually swim in the water, unlike Ixtapa. Its worth exploring.

are you czech? im from slovakia. i always thought they had crappy nightlife but there are some good parties out there now that I wouldn't mind going to.

Heh, well, let's see... I was born in Russia, but I lived in Czech Republic for 10 years, so despite being Russian, I consider myself Czech.

As for night life... I wouldn't say it's crappy, there's a lot of good places—though often the best ones are not in Prague itself. Everything's cheap though, so that's a good thing. But then again I'm comparing Vancouver to Prague here, not NYC to Prague. :P

Discussing this with friends the other day: what do you think is the most underrated city? As in, somewhere that doesnt get the props its deserves.

My vote: Rio de Janeiro. Sure its got beaches, Carnival ,hot bodies, and jungle. But also : history (capital of the Portuguese Empire), funky buildings (Niteroi art museum, Colonial buildings in santa teresa), unique culture (samba, bossa nova, candomble), beautiful gardens and works by leading artists (the Copacabana mosaics by Burle Marx, Niememyers buildings, the Museums of Villa Lobos and Camrne Miranda). PLus - friendly people, good food and some interesting hoods...

Everyone goes to London and LA - but gimme Rio any day!!!

Any other nominations?

just curious, but do you really think Rio is underated? It's been promoted heavily for foreign tourism for years...

I've always really liked Genova. It's beautiful, amazing seafood and pesto, great weather, super dense in a weird way, a little dangerous cause of drug traffic, but nothing you wouldn't see in any major american city...it just never gets the love that some of its Italian counterparts receive.

No love for the 404 yet?? I'm weigh'n with the home of hip-hop - Atlanta!!!

Totally undrerated!

really? i'd say it's overrated

co-sign on the Portland, for most (not the superfuture intelligent ones) Americans Canadian cities such as Vancouver and Montreal are overlooked for Toronto.

Also, In my opinion San Fran and San Diego are extremely overlooked when compared to Los Angeles. Both better cities IMHO.

Actually, make that pretty much anything north and up of San Jose.

Havana, Cuba.

Atlanta is a bit overrated. I was only there for part of an afternoon but the little i saw i wasn't too impressed with (basically i was just in that shopping complex around Peachtree, with the malls that got Jeffrey, Saks, etc.) And I dunno if it was the weather that day or what, but it seemed everywhere I walked around there, the people didn't seem that happy.

You forgot to mention crime.

prague. i loved prague.

there is nothing about prague that is underrated. maybe 10 years ago. not saying it's a bad city, it's great, just not underrated.

to me, underrated means the quality of said city are disproportional to the interest in traveling there. this is not the case with prague anymore.

how about Bordeaux? Not the surounding idyllic country side, but the city itself. Or maybe Rotterdam or Utrecht (which get little love do to Amsterdam).